New Tricks Series 9

Comments

• PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a date yet on when this is to be shown
    Not yet. Repeats resume on Friday 29th June, 9pm, BBC One.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Not yet. Repeats resume on Friday 29th June, 9pm, BBC One.

I wish we knew when the new series started!
    It's hard to guess going by previous series airings as well. There was generally about a year or just below a year between the end of one series and the start of another, the last one started only 8 months after the previous one ended.

Series 1 Starts Ends May 6 2004
    Series 2 Startts May 9 2005 Ends June 27 2005
    Series 3 Starts April 17 2006 Ends June 5 2006
    Series 4 Starts April 9 2007 Ends May 28 2007
    Series 5 Starts July 7 2008 Ends Aug 25 2008
    Series 6 Starts July 16 2009 Ends Sept 3 2009
    Series 7 Starts Sept 10 2010 Ends Nov 12 2010
    Series 8 Starts July 4 2011 Ends Sept 5 2011

It's already 9 months since the last series ended, so maybe it'll be back in September, a year after the previous one ended, Depends how many more repeats from the last series they show when they start again on June 29!
  • freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they show the complete series 8 first then I'm guessing August 17th but the BBC are well known for changing stuff so who knows but I'm fairly sure we will see it by mid September, I don't mind waiting a little longer for 10 episodes!

Edit: And as filming was completed in late May I would still stick to a late August air date
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder which night of the week the new series will end up on.
    Forum Member
    If they show the complete series 8 first then I'm guessing August 17th but the BBC are well known for changing stuff so who knows but I'm fairly sure we will see it by mid September, I don't mind waiting a little longer for 10 episodes!

Edit: And as filming was completed in late May I would still stick to a late August air date

Oh, it;s always worth waiting for! :)
    But I must admit to being particularly impatient to see this new series start to see Denis Lawson in it.

I was thinking the same thing, that it might be September sometime.
    Would the Olympics disrupt the showing of the rest of the repeated series?
    I live a million miles from London so I have no interest in the Olympics, I don't even know when they start, hence my question!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To keep people updated the DVD is released on 26th November so the series must be on within the next 3/4 weeks!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correction episode 1 will be shown on 27th August (Monday at 9PM!)
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YIPPEEE!!! i cant wait for this
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At last!...

My and my OH's fave prog returns......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant programme cant wait for its return.
    Forum Member
    Correction episode 1 will be shown on 27th August (Monday at 9PM!)

Is that definite? It's not just another repeat?! Where did you read this wonderful news?!

I actually thought it would probably be back a year after the last one ended - September - so I'm not far wrong!
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,147
    Forum Member
    Have they finally filmed in HD ?
    Was very surprised they continued filming in SD for so long.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malcy30 wrote: »
    Have they finally filmed in HD ?
    Was very surprised they continued filming in SD for so long.

Well it should be HD now, as it is a requirement for all commissioned programming.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Is that definite? It's not just another repeat?

Looks like it's definite

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/ryjpk/new-tricks--series-9---1-a-death-in-the-family
    1/10. New series. Jack announces he is quitting the team, but before Sandra, Brian and Gerry can question his reasons, shadowy Whitehall figure Stephen Fisher arrives with one of his secret cases - the unsolved murder of a woman dating back 100 years. But with just 24 hours to solve it, will the sleuths find time to get to the bottom of Jack's shock decision and persuade him to stick around?

And it looks like there is some continuity regarding Jack Halford, and James Bolam is listed in the credits (so Jack doesn't just disappear off-screen in between series) . :)
  • COMMANDER SMITHCOMMANDER SMITH Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    I'm afraid Jack is going to die...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why? He's going to quit, probably wants to take it easy and have a proper retirement (being the eldest of the three).
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Looks like it's definite

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/ryjpk/new-tricks--series-9---1-a-death-in-the-family

And it looks like there is some continuity regarding Jack Halford, and James Bolam is listed in the credits (so Jack doesn't just disappear off-screen in between series) . :)

When we knew Jack was going I wondered if he'd just sort of not appear at the start of the season, so I'm glad he does, to say he's going!
    It sounds like a very good episode, and I'm sure Sandra, Brian and Gerry will be just as wonderful without him - and I'm looking forward to seeing Denis Lawson.
    Forum Member

Course he's not gonna die! There's no reason to kill him off, and if they did it would cast a shadow over the other three for ages, which would ruin the programme!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    When we knew Jack was going I wondered if he'd just sort of not appear at the start of the season, so I'm glad he does, to say he's going!
    just after it was announced that James Bolam would not be doing the next series, it was reported that the BBC/producers were trying to persuade him to do at least one episode in order to tie things up. I'm glad that they managed to do it. :)
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    just after it was announced that James Bolam would not be doing the next series, it was reported that the BBC/producers were trying to persuade him to do at least one episode in order to tie things up. I'm glad that they managed to do it. :)

Agreed - and it perhaps shows that Bolam's departure was not as acrimonious as some of the newspapers would have us believe
    Forum Member
    Amanda is leaving next year! :eek:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/amanda-redman-on-quitting-new-tricks-1266397

Will that be the end of New Tricks? She says she's leaving 'next summer' and will do '8 more episodes'

Now obviously they've done the 10 for this series, and you'd assume the next series would have 10 as well, but she says she's doing 8.

I can't imagine it would go on without her - or could it? it did without Jimmy of course (who she says she misses a lot) but is it different that the 'boss' and the one woman, is leaving?
    Who would replace her? And Sandra Pullman coping with these men is one of the main dynamics of the show, so without Sandra ....?

So many questions! Series 9 and 10 were commissioned together, of course, so - stating the obvious - the answer to whether it would go on would be answered if it's commissioned for a 11th series.

Personally speaking, I love the show to bits, have done since Day one (One of the very few programmes I've actually watched from Day one!) and as long as Alun and Dennis kept doing it - and by the end of the next series I'll be used to Denis Lawson's character as well! - I'd happily sit and watch even without Sandra - tho I'd hope it was someone I liked who replaced her, like with Denis Lawson replacing Jimmy.

So typical this. When we heard the greeat news of the two new series being commissioned, that was followed almost days later by the news Jimmy was leaving.
    Now - just as we're told the new series is a week or so away - more great news - we hear another one is leaving!
  • McBrien76McBrien76 Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I think that once Amanda leaves, the show should end. Her character's departure would seem like a natural conclusion, in the same way that her being asked to head the team was the beginning of the series. 10 years will have been a very good run, and better to end on a high than see the viewing figures fall away.
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,147
    Forum Member
    nick202 wrote: »
    I think that once Amanda leaves, the show should end. Her character's departure would seem like a natural conclusion, in the same way that her being asked to head the team was the beginning of the series. 10 years will have been a very good run, and better to end on a high than see the viewing figures fall away.

The new guy they bought in to replace James Bolan said he has signed for 2 seasons so that ties in with it ending next year at the end of Series 10.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I recall, Amanda had hinted that she would bow out after S8 in order to do other things, but she then relented and said that she would do two more series. So really, the Mirror story is old news.