Do you agree with the Tory policy to reduce the £57.35 a week Jobseekers Allowance?

Comments

• annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    What hardship you had to endure...

her profile says she`s born in `57, if that`s true we had family income supplement which was pretty much the same thing, bought in in 1970 and for working families.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    No. Its very easy for people to say it should be lowered when they've never had to rely on it (genuinely, not a sponger). The tories seem to always screw the poorest first!
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Well of course, it is the duty of all unemployed to ensure they eradicate all enjoyment out of life! How else will you make the solvent feel better about themselves?

I know. The cheek of these people wanting to eat, wash, not die of hypothermia and watch TV. It's outrageous.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    her profile says she`s born in `57, if that`s true we had family income supplement which was pretty much the same thing, bought in in 1970 and for working families.

Actually I don't believe anything "she" is saying. It's all just a line. A poorly researched line at that.
  • Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    I disagree with this.

57 and 70 whatever quid is not a huge amount of money to be living on.

What they should be doing instead is looking at the people who are earning more on benefits than many people who work and look at reducing their incomes, not those on 57 and 70 quid.
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Louise32 wrote: »
    I disagree with this.

57 and 70 whatever quid is not a huge amount of money to be living on.

What they should be doing instead is looking at the people who are earning more on benefits than many people who work and look at reducing their incomes, not those on 57 and 70 quid.

I believe there is now a ceiling and folks cannot claim above that amount any more.
    Forum Member
    I wonder how high the ceiling is though cos I've seen newspaper stories of people earning a fortune and living in huge houses.

Hopefully that will become more sensible in future.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    I wonder how high the ceiling is though cos I've seen newspaper stories of people earning a fortune and living in huge houses.

Hopefully that will become more sensible in future.

the cap is £500 and includes housing benefit, there are a small number that aren`t counted, like dla or pip. i posted a link earlier, i think it`s on page 2.

here it is http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=74996730&postcount=42

it`s not so much if you`re private renting round here, rents are quite ridiculous.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VM123 wrote: »
    No. Its very easy for people to say it should be lowered when they've never had to rely on it (genuinely, not a sponger). The tories seem to always screw the poorest first!

It's not being lowered though it's just not increasing- many working people haven't had a payrise for sometime
  • charger21charger21 Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Public sector workers have had years of wage freezes so why shouldnt other folk start to feel the pinch too? Not saying its right but its the way it is, why should folk who dont work see their income increase when millions of hard working people arent?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    It's not being lowered though it's just not increasing- many working people haven't had a payrise for sometime

i went by the question.. Reducing the £57 a week?

Even so, i think £57 is incredibly difficult to live on. I feel for those struggling to find a job.
    Forum Member
    the cap is £500 and includes housing benefit, there are a small number that aren`t counted, like dla or pip. i posted a link earlier, i think it`s on page 2.

here it is http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=74996730&postcount=42

it`s not so much if you`re private renting round here, rents are quite ridiculous.

Thanks for the link.

Sorry I browsed through quickly.

Yeah I think England can be awful expensive for renting. London especially.

But I think they pay most of the rents.

It's if you have a mortgage and lose your job could be harder.
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People on benefits who earn more than some people who work isn't because the benefits are generously high, it's because at the bottom wages are ridiculously low. Don't reduce benefits, increase wages. Introducing a living wage would be a great way to start.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

The same hard working people who also been hit by this as it effects in work benefits as well, and housing benefit
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,579
    Forum Member

This is what is called a race to the bottom It is scandalous that so many people have had no wage increase and it is equally scandalous that benefits are to be frozen
    You should ask why only 1% of the UK population have more than 50% of the wealth
    People in poorly paid jobs need to look up instead of down
    Forum Member
    Why should people on jobseekers have their payment cut or frozen when the MP's are very good at giving themselves pay rises?

Instead of vulnerable hard-up people being punished let the MP's and MLA's in Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish parliaments go without their pay rise.

That would save money.

But MP's/ MLA's never do it to themselves like the fat cat bankers.
    Forum Member
    Vulpes wrote: »
    People on benefits who earn more than some people who work isn't because the benefits are generously high, it's because at the bottom wages are ridiculously low. Don't reduce benefits, increase wages. Introducing a living wage would be a great way to start.

Yeah definitely increase wages.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    charger21 wrote: »
    Public sector workers have had years of wage freezes so why shouldnt other folk start to feel the pinch too? Not saying its right but its the way it is, why should folk who dont work see their income increase when millions of hard working people arent?

Nobody is asking for them to her an increase. But anyone who honestly thinks £57 is absolutely fine and you can live on that. And I mean live. IE pay for basics. Electricity. Gas. Water. Food. Council tax. Is living in cloud cuckoo land and I truly hope should they ever find themselves in need of JSA that they remember thinking that it was a-okay to think people can live on that and not moan about how they can't afford food or they're ill constantly because they can't afford heating.

People on JSA have nothing to 'pinch' they can barely afford the basics as it is. That is why it shouldn't be lowered even further.

I think whoever decides these things should have to live on that amount for an undisclosed amount of time, like the people on JSA do. None of this crap where they do an experiment where some posh toff lives on JSA for a week. Anyone can do it for a week. Put them on it for an undisclosed amount of time and watch things change. Of course that's a very idealists way of looking at it and would never happen but it would make them think. Instead of just pulling a figure out of there arse and making the already vulnerable people of society even more so.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    charger21 wrote: »

Because whats been said today DOES effect millions of hard working people as it as effects in work benefits as well
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I don't agree. I wouldn't mind am MP pay freeze though, instead of the 11% rise they are getting
  • roger_purvisroger_purvis Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    I know. The cheek of these people wanting to eat, wash, not die of hypothermia and watch TV. It's outrageous.

The white noise of the entitled new labour generation. Concept of benefits was to provide emergency funds to tide over for short term periods of unemployment. Society should rightfully expect the individual to provide their own security in the main (saving, for example something that most seem to have totally forgotten about in the days of annual phone upgrades etc) I have no qualm with that. If i were to find myself unemployed tomorrow i would be fine as i have saved to provide my own security.Welfare entitlism has since bloated, to include paying unemployed people for years on end to fund foreign holidays, boob implants, sky tv etc. I loved every second of Osbournes speach today. I literally cannot wait to vote conservative.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    This is what is called a race to the bottom It is scandalous that so many people have had no wage increase and it is equally scandalous that benefits are to be frozen
    You should ask why only 1% of the UK population have more than 50% of the wealth
    People in poorly paid jobs need to look up instead of down

That problem is not unique to the UK. It is worldwide, probably even worse in the poorest of countries.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    No, bring back Labour's tax and spend policies, people have short memories. When Labour left office last time the chancellor left a note, "sorry, the pot is empty"

I never said i agree with any of labours policies either. Quite frankly i don't like or trust any of them. They are all full of hot air and broken promises. They make all kinds of wonderful promises in the lead up to an election and then break the lot once in power. They are all liars
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The white noise of the entitled new labour generation. Concept of benefits was to provide emergency funds to tide over for short term periods of unemployment. Society should rightfully expect the individual to provide their own security in the main (saving, for example something that most seem to have totally forgotten about in the days of annual phone upgrades etc) I have no qualm with that. If i were to find myself unemployed tomorrow i would be fine as i have saved to provide my own security.Welfare entitlism has since bloated, to include paying unemployed people for years on end to fund foreign holidays, boob implants, sky tv etc. I loved every second of Osbournes speach today. I literally cannot wait to vote conservative.

It must be lovely in this little fantasy world you live in
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    I never said i agree with any of labours policies either. Quite frankly i don't like or trust any of them. They are all full of hot air and broken promises. They make all kinds of wonderful promises in the lead up to an election and then break the lot once in power. They are all liars

That being the case, you may as well vote for the Tories as they will guarantee not to implement it if they win the election :p