Last Movie You Watched? (Part 6)

Comments

• revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dredd

Loved it. Dark, mean & menacing. Great that he kept his face covered the whole time, and it was a simple but effective story with lots of mayhem. If we get some more then hopefully they'll crank up the weird factor a tad.

8/10
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    Grave of the Fireflies. It almost made me cry. Almost. 7/10
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    The Expendables - 5/10 - not very good, big exposions but not much of a plot, acting was ok, Sylvester Stallone was good
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiss of the Vampire 2009. Absolutely rubbish! It's like something from the eighties, minus the hairstyles and clothing style. The acting at times is way over dramatic. Vampires just stand there posing with a menacing look while waiting to be staked through the heart. Whoever made this film, they need to be removed from the film industry for good!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Django Unchained - 9/10. It was brilliant, much better than I had expected!
  • JackassfanJackassfan Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Silver Linings Playbook (2012) 8/10
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn (2011) - 5.5/10
    I liked the voice acting and the animation. The action was good and it was quite funny in some places. I just wish the first 40 minutes were a bit more interesting. It dragged in a few other places too. I suppose I expected more of it because of who was involved in the producing, writing and directing. If people with less talent had made it, I might not be so hard on it.
  • filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Battle Beneath the Earth 6/10 interesting but silly 60s cold war type film !
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Dredd - 8/10
  • Mart_UKMart_UK Posts: 2,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Django Unchained- 9/10
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    The Expendables - 5/10 - not very good, big exposions but not much of a plot, acting was ok, Sylvester Stallone was good

The sequel is more of the same.

I watched: Escape from LA - 4/10

How can a film with the same story, the same character, the same actor and the same director as the utterly awesome Escape from New York be so bad? The surf scene made me physically wince!
  • ItHasPotentialItHasPotential Posts: 7,817
    Forum Member
    seven psychopaths for me gets 9.5/10
    weird film but fricken loved it
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Night of the Generals (1966) World War Two set murder mystery/Operation Valkyrie mash-up starring Peter O'Toole, Omar Sharif, Donald Pleasance and Tom Courtenay.

The penultimate film by Anatole Litvak (best known for The Snake Pit) shot in Panavision is a handsome absorbing drama which neatly merges two separate stories as justice driven Major Grau investigates a vicious murder in Warsaw, the suspects are three generals including Peter O'Tooles General Tanz. Their paths cross again in Paris in summer 1944 when the Valkyrie aspect of the story kicks in with the conclusion of the murder mystery occurring in 1965 (I'll leave out details as to the how, why and who). Great performances by the leads esp O'Toole who manages to capture Tanz character with minimal histrionics. The script has some nicely knowing, wry aspects to it which were unexpected (Gore Vidal worked on the script uncredited). The films reputation is not high and at 145 minutes you might think twice about seeing it but if you'd like a grown up military drama you could do a lot worse. Its also the first of that select cinematic subset - the serious degenerate Nazi drama - The Damned, Night Porter, Salo etc would follow.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sessions - 8/10
  • emmageeringemmageering Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle (1939) - 7/10
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    The Night of the Generals (1966) World War Two set murder mystery/Operation Valkyrie mash-up starring Peter O'Toole, Omar Sharif, Donald Pleasance and Tom Courtenay.

I saw that on iPlayer last year. It started off strongly, but petered out towards the end. The ending was rather anti-climatic.
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    Perks of being a Wallflower 8/10
    Surprisingly good coming of age film. I expected to be run of the mill story, but there were some excellent performances and it was a really well written tale. Great music and oneliners too. Emma Watson was a revelation, I've not seen her in anything since first HP movie and she's quite talented.

Hard Eight 7/10
    Paul Thomas Andersons first film. Quite Tarantinoesque in parts, but has some very natural sections of dialogu and great leading performances. Much better than I was expecting.
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    The Sessions - 8/10

REALLY looking forward to seeing this. :)
  • HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Basket Case - 9/10
    Loved it, classic B-movie!
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We went to see Quartet this afternoon. Great film with the audience the same vintage as the actors! :D 9/10
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Gangster Squad - 8/10 - highly enjoyable film, great cast, not as as some gangster films i have seen but still a highly recommended one
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Silver Linings Playbook - 8/10 Bradley Cooper stole the show for me in this, Loved the weird look in his eyes :).

The Hobbit - 10/10 - Absolutely love the LOTR trilogy, Thought Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage were excellent, Great to see gandalf again, can't wait for the next two.

Django Unchained - Watched this with my father and we both absolutely enjoyed it immensely, Already want to see it again. Love Christoph Waltz who in my opinion deserves every award coming his way. 10/10

Dredd - 8/10 Again enjoyed this one a lot, Thought Karl Urban was great, Loved the Slo-Mo effects and the style of the film considering it had a budget of 50 Million. Shame that a sequel is unlikely though.

So the best couple of weeks for films I've had in a while :D
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    The Raid

Really loved this. A swat team tries to take down a whole tower bloke of baddies. Right up there with the best action/martial arts films I've seen. Some absolutely amazing fight scenes and well paced.

9/10
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Lawless - 8/10

The mumbling was annoying.
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Hobbit and Les Miserables. The Hobbit
    was better than I expected,given PJ's version
    of LOTR was interfered with 'for dramatic purposes'
    And Les Mis simply blew me away,but I have always