Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 25)

Comments

• Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Peachykeen wrote: »
    I agree with both these comments. I always believed JW to be apolitical. I know he got sacked previously for the 'vote Boris' comments but generally I dont think he supports any political party inparticular. Whilst you can always guarantee what direction NF or JO'B will take with a topic JW was always a bit unknown.

JW definitely came across as a right winger, although he is no supporter of Cameron and I agree, not always predictable. Probably why I listened to his show despite his politics. As someone said it's LBC's loss I'm sure he'll get work elsewhere.
  • Options
    lincolnmedialincolnmedia Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    I agree with everything you have said regarding James Whale.

Many years ago I had the privilege of sitting in a radio studio with JW for around 4 hours. He was an absolute delight.

To those who form their opinions of JW based upon hearing him 'On Air' Let me assure you that JW On Air is much different to JW in person.

Whenever people say to me I can't stand that Man/Woman on TV/Radio I always ask if they have met them in person, Of course they never have. What a strange world we live in :eek:

I wouldn't say overnights is dead air, but it certainly needs 'livening' up with a presenter who is known for that time of the evening and who would open up that timeslot to a lot more fun and entertainment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chinchin wrote: »
    JW definitely came across as a right winger, although he is no supporter of Cameron and I agree, not always predictable. Probably why I listened to his show despite his politics. As someone said it's LBC's loss I'm sure he'll get work elsewhere.

It wouldn't surprise me that if talkSPORT drop this ridiculous idea of having '24 hour sport' which doesn't work in this country that he might go back there into his old slot.
    In any case, '24 hour sport' for talkSPORT is just an euphemism for 24 hour football.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SouthCity wrote: »
    Presenters are allowed to express their personal views provided that they allow alternative views to be heard:

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/broadcast-codes/broadcast-code/impartiality/

So 5.10 actually says that if LBC (or talkSPORT) wanted to put 24 hours of right wing 'shock jocks' they would be allowed to. That's quite shocking to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    guiser wrote: »
    Perhaps they feel that James O'B's balances out all the other presenters.
    :D

In reality, I think the rules only really come into play during an election campaign, and probably only if it's seen as openly deceptive or persuasive - which was the reason Whale was sacked from his last job.

Good point there guiser so nothing I can add. I am sure you jest re J O'B! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    duplicate post
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So 5.10 actually says that if LBC (or talkSPORT) wanted to put 24 hours of right wing 'shock jocks' they would be allowed to. That's quite shocking to be honest.

Shocking indeed! :eek:
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peachykeen wrote: »
    . Whilst you can always guarantee what direction NF or JO'B will take with a topic JW was always a bit unknown.

Yes - I don't think he was particuarly political either way .I think JW just tended to take the common sense pov .
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - I don't think he was particuarly political either way .I think JW just tended to take the common sense pov .

He sided to the right most times but admitted that although he was a conservative he wasn't a fan of Cameron .
  • Options
    Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    coulsdon59 wrote: »
    I wonder what other expert "hours" he could have on Weds and Thurs? Not technology. Things like cooking, gardening or DIY seem a bit old hat now.

I'd love to hear from that wonderful man (whose name completely escapes me) who used to talk about cars.
    I'm sure Martin will remember.
    He knew every single nut and bolt on every make and model of car.
    He was rivetting, even though I knew nothing and cared even less about cars. I think he was Austrian.
    An absolute gentleman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to hear from that wonderful man (whose name completely escapes me) who used to talk about cars.
    He was rivetting, even though I knew nothing and cared even less about cars. I think he was Austrian.
    An absolute gentleman.

Gerard Sauer :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1Ndr_1hOQ8
  • Options
    radio ladyradio lady Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An absolute gentleman.

Wasn't he fabulous?
    And aren't you the devil incarnate...
    I won't be able to sleep tonight trying to remember
    Was he Jan somebody or other?
    Oh damn and blast.......

Well, perhaps not Jan somebody!!
    You have your answer....
    Well done that man!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    radio lady wrote: »
    Wasn't he fabulous?
    And aren't you the devil incarnate...
    I won't be able to sleep tonight trying to remember
    Was he Jan somebody or other?
    Oh damn and blast.......

Put yer glasses on radio lady! :p:D
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radiodad wrote: »
    He sided to the right most times but admitted that although he was a conservative he wasn't a fan of Cameron .

Hmm he certainly had quite a pragmatic approach to politics, .and one thing 's for sure , he had a fairly low tolerance for unfathomable Loonie Leftie shenanigans .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Put yer glasses on radio lady! :p:D

Alright clever clogs!
    Three gold stars for you
    and a ride on VQ's batmobile to count her roadkill........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alright clever clogs!
    Three gold stars for you
    and a ride on VQ's batmobile to count her roadkill........

:eek: *Takes out insurance policy*

Actually he was so good I used to listen and I don't own a car! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :eek: *Takes out insurance policy*

Actually he was so good I used to listen and I don't own a car! ;)

And that sums up all that was good with LBC before Global got its mucky little paws on it.

Perhaps Clive will be able to bring back some of the old magic.......
    and perhaps pigs might fly.......

Well done you.
    I think his second name was Jan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And that sums up all that was good with LBC before Global got its mucky little paws on it.

Perhaps Clive will be able to bring back some of the old magic.......
    and perhaps pigs might fly.......

Well done you.
    I think his second name was Jan.
    Thanks and I agree with you. :)
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't surprise me that if talkSPORT drop this ridiculous idea of having '24 hour sport' which doesn't work in this country that he might go back there into his old slot.
    In any case, '24 hour sport' for talkSPORT is just an euphemism for 24 hour football.

Is that a joke ? TalkSPORT have made a lot more money since it went 24 hour sport and there RAJAR has also increased. Unless this changes dramatically for a a fair few surveys TalkSPORT will not do any non sport programming.
    UTV’s GB radio division saw revenues increase by 5% in the first 10 months, with talkSPORT growing 8% and its local stations growing by 1%.

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2012/11/revenues-rise-five-per-cent-at-utv-radio/
    For the first time in the station’s history from 6am to 7pm on weekdays talkSPORT now reaches over 1million listeners, with two of the four daytime shows achieving record figures. Richard Keys and Andy Gray’s show has reached a record audience for the mid-morning timeslot, with 1.1 million listeners. Drive also achieved its highest ever audience with 1.3 million listeners

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2012/10/utv-talksport-climbs-back-over-3million-rajar/

I would love TalkSPORT to do current affairs again as much as you, there was something quite odd listening to a more white van man style of current affairs. Casual Racists and Homophobes banging on like it was 1986, was strangely entertaining.
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Drat you beat me to it !
  • Options
    The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drat you beat me to it !

& you call yerself , the king on this thread ! :eek::p
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How could she have any integrity at all interviewing politicians about dodgy goings on after her background in expenses claims i wonder.?

She i am afraid lacks any sort of credability.

But each to their own,as i said i thought Tessa Dunlop if she is still doing this a much better choice.

I remember the chorus of disapproval that Jacqui Smith had on this thread when it was announced she would be co-presenting some shows with Iain Dale. Interesting that no one objected to Nick Clegg's regular slot on LBC when his expenses claims were greater than Jacqui Smith and items he claimed for were very questionable.

The Telegraph which broke the original story reported that Clegg he fitted his house with a £2,600 kitchen and had almost £6,000 worth of decorating done. He claimed for carpets, a laminate floor, tiling and sanding, curtains, blinds, curtain rails and repairs to a garage door. The mulit-millionaire Mr Clegg even charged the tax payer for cushions and paper napkins that he bought in Ikea and in a 4 month period he charged us almost £2000 for food that he bought for himself and his family.

Clegg also claimed for 2 phone bills from his home in Sheffield for over £100 which included private calls to mobiles in other countries and he was ordered to pay this money back. He made excessive claims for gardening done to his Sheffield house and was also requested to refund the tax payer for this money that he took from us. When Clegg was a Euro MP he used to fly economy but was paid travel expenses for business class.

So if Nick Clegg can have his shady expenses claims overlooked and be given his own show on LBC then why not Jacqui Smith?
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    & you call yerself , the king on this thread ! :eek::p

I was out :cool:
  • Options
    The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was out :cool:

was she as good, as you thought tho ? :p