TV Channels that have gone downhill

Comments

• Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    ShaunW wrote: »
    With regards to Nat Geo and Discovery Network's reality crap, apparently the Americans like it so we must grin and bare it.

Just because America likes it, doesnt mean we have to ffs.

Really has died a death indeed. Too many baby shows, fake ghost crap and lifestyle crap.

Is there anyway we can see channel accounts?
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Movies4men has got worse when they went onto Freeview.
  • Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    Movies4men has got worse when they went onto Freeview.

+1

That has gone down hill fast.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linear tv is finished as they put little effort in and there's too many repeats channels.

The days of the middle man like a programme scheduler are gone when we have on demand. You can watch what you want, When you want, no adverts or digital on screen graphics. :)

Linear Tv is finished yet is still watched by millions everyday?

Also an On demand model without subscription or adverts is not financially viable, and the amount of available content would not be available. I couldn't see large shows like Game of Thrones being made under the same style Netflix subscription model on top of what already is being made.
  • rkolsenrkolsen Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    ShaunW wrote: »
    With regards to Nat Geo and Discovery Network's reality crap, apparently the Americans like it so we must grin and bare it.

I could handle channel drift here in the United States when TLC started doing there 19 Kids and Counting, John and Kate Plus 8, Little People Big World, Say Yes To The Dress and many more I could handle it because you had at one point all these channels but sadly each has gone through their own respective drift periods:
    Discovery Channel - which also is drifting with Naked & Afraid but they do do some impressive stunts with their partnership with NBC News (Skywire Live was one and the canceled Everest jump. As a son of a USCG marine investigator I can't stand to watch the deadliest catch because the crew is so wreck less and it's lost it's infotainment value.
    Animal Planet- used to be only about animals but now has a show on about a hippie who builds luxury tree houses then there's a show titled No Limits because you have to push them.
    Oprah Winfrey Network- used to be the Discovery health where you got to watch shows about medicine but my favorite was Dr. G Medical Examiner because you learn so much about a person after they die.
    Investigation Discovery used to deal with true crime stories - this channel hasn't drifted much but a decent amount of its programming comes from NBC News productions where there has been a homicide where a wife has been murdered by the husband. Then they fill other hours with NBC New's Dateline crime stories which are replaced for investigation discovery.
    Science- is a case of channel drift for the better, before it was essentially what can you make with scraps from a junkyard on Junkyard Wards and solving myths that could be explained easily by science but two boneheads want to blow things up Mythbusters. Now they have Through the Wormhole, Outrageous Acts of Science and Mega Structures mixed in with alien life forms.
    Discovery Hub- there kids channel showing only what young minds can handle.
    American Heroes Channel- caters to the military audience and air a lot of historian footage to the design of latest aircraft carrier and they dig deep into NBC News archive for The Brokaw Files which is basically reengineer DC footage from past interviews TomBrokaw has done
    Destination America I have not watched enough but it's a channel celebrating the United States history and culture.
    Fit and Health- is basically are left overs from the original discovery health channel and hasn't been improved in ages. .
    Velocity is a network about men show love their cars.

These are clear examples of why discovery networks logic on the lowest common denominator - people apparently want to watch this trash TV.

I wish DISCOVERY NETWORKS would go back to their normal shows so I don't have to sit through a new summer if Here Comes Honey Boo Boo.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4 used to be full of independent films, excellent drama, documentaries, music shows and comedy. Now it just seems to be Noel Edmonds box opening rubbish, Hollyoaks non stop, unfunny Simpsons repeats on a loop, Come Dine With Me and programmes about deformed people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    ocav wrote: »
    Linear Tv is finished yet is still watched by millions everyday?

Also an On demand model without subscription or adverts is not financially viable, and the amount of available content would not be available. I couldn't see large shows like Game of Thrones being made under the same style Netflix subscription model on top of what already is being made.

I see it as complementing linear TV rather than replacing it entirely. I can catch up on a lot of older shows on services like Netflix but also the occasional new TV show on linear TV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yesterday has gone down hill. I thought that starting to show period dramas like Sharpe was the thin end of the wedge, and now the schedule has shows like Flog It, Top of the Pops, Professor Brian Cox, or sitcoms like Open All Hours, Dinnerladies, One Foot in the Grave, Porridge and Waiting for God.

What next, the original run of Big Brother or Opportunity Knocks?

Sadly, I looked at the ratings for the channel a couple of weeks ago, and their whole top-10 was entirely made up of Open All Hours and One Foot in the Grave episodes! So if this is bringing in the viewers rather than stuff about history, it's inevitable that the history and documentary content will gradually all but disappear.

Longer term, Channel 4 has become a pale shadow of its former self over the last 15 years. They love to quickly knock out rushed documentaries in response to real and unfolding events. But most of these things feel cheap, tacky and uninformative.

Plus the steady stream of 'documentaries' following unfortunate people making personal 'journeys'. If you put the overly compassionate voiceover lady to one side, they're basically Victorian freak shows. The same goes for programmes about gypsies and people on benefits etc.

And Embarrassing Bodies has become that too. In the same way that people soon learned to exploit Big Brother to just get publicity and launch a showbiz career, I think Embarrassing Bodies will become an opportunity for getting free cosmetic surgery and similar.
  • mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil_N wrote: »
    Seconded. Whatever happened to ORDINARY PEOPLE going on quiz shows? We might not be glamorous, but we're good people and can be more entertaining than some slapper from Corrie.

Channel 5 - Big Brother, and too many working-class bashing programmes thinking we're all on benefits (and chastising those who are through no fault of their own) or football hooligans. It might be ran by the owners of a Tory rag "The Daily Express", but don't bash the majority of the UK people. We're not all home-owners earning £50k a year ffs. We've lived!

Channel 5 is no longer owned by Express proprietor Richard Desmond. He sold it recently to the US group Viacom.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2618377/Channel-5-sold-US-broadcaster-450m-Firm-MTV-Comedy-Central-American-company-control-British-free-air-channel.html
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Correct, but as the deal is awaiting final approval nothing has changed yet. Channel5.com still links to the Express/Star, C5 continues to receive special coverage in those papers etc.
  • bringbackGalaxybringbackGalaxy Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Ski Channel, now that really has gone down hill :D
  • mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correct, but as the deal is awaiting final approval nothing has changed yet. Channel5.com still links to the Express/Star, C5 continues to receive special coverage in those papers etc.

I bet the Express and Star will lose interest in everything on C5 after the sale! BB will no longer get saturation coverage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    While effects have got better, almost all channels show a worse selection of programmes than before (except the former analogue ones, maybe...).
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Yesterday has gone down hill. I thought that starting to show period dramas like Sharpe was the thin end of the wedge, and now the schedule has shows like Flog It, Top of the Pops, Professor Brian Cox, or sitcoms like Open All Hours, Dinnerladies, One Foot in the Grave, Porridge and Waiting for God.

Is Today any better then? :D
  • am1969am1969 Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    I hate to admit it but CNBC has really gone downhill since 2011/2012. All the top presenters have left and it seems to be a shadow of its former self. It's really boring now as well and the quality of the programming has decreased. It's not as good as it was when I started watching it back in 2006. Bloomberg seems to be the better business news channel these days.

CNBC have managed to steal some Bloomberg talent such as Sara Eisen and Susan Li. I have to say i still prefer Bloomberg over CNBC. Get great tech stories on there you just don't get on BBC, SKY News and CNBC. Also bringing the wonderful Olivia Sterns back over to Europe was a great move. Beautiful, sexy, funny and even has Guy Johnson smiling. :D And she's a great anchor / presenter. Preferred her co-anchoring with Mark Barton though. :)
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    rkolsen wrote: »
    Discovery Hub- there kids channel showing only what young minds can handle.
    It's called Hub Network, not Discovery Hub.
  • packerbullypackerbully Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Itv and Channel 5 big time.
  • onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    BBC One drama is very depressing. The BBC do not seem to be able to make anything which isn't guaranteed to lower your mood.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV have gone downhill massively. You only have to look at tomorrow nights offering from 1900-2100. A two hour block of soap related programming. This isnt what ITV used to be like. I take on board that soaps are ratings winners but this is excessive and re enforces ITVs image of being nothing but a soap channel where other programming dont get the airtime until after the news in some cases. (just my view)
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike1948 wrote: »
    I bet the Express and Star will lose interest in everything on C5 after the sale! BB will no longer get saturation coverage.

Daily Star will still be interested if there is models in the house.
  • richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,892
    Forum Member
    Sky 1 has gone down hill since moving drama to Living and Atlantic, I only watch Hawaii Five-O on that channel now. What I hate on all channels showing repeats is stripped programming. Although I'd love to watch The Sweeney, Professionals etc. I can't devote an hour every night to watch them. Why can't they schedule them once a week, as if they were a new series? ITV4, for example, could have a rich and varied week, like ITV of old.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What next, the original run of Big Brother or Opportunity Knocks?

Sadly, I looked at the ratings for the channel a couple of weeks ago, and their whole top-10 was entirely made up of Open All Hours and One Foot in the Grave episodes! So if this is bringing in the viewers rather than stuff about history, it's inevitable that the history and documentary content will gradually all but disappear.

Longer term, Channel 4 has become a pale shadow of its former self over the last 15 years. They love to quickly knock out rushed documentaries in response to real and unfolding events. But most of these things feel cheap, tacky and uninformative.

Plus the steady stream of 'documentaries' following unfortunate people making personal 'journeys'. If you put the overly compassionate voiceover lady to one side, they're basically Victorian freak shows. The same goes for programmes about gypsies and people on benefits etc.

And Embarrassing Bodies has become that too. In the same way that people soon learned to exploit Big Brother to just get publicity and launch a showbiz career, I think Embarrassing Bodies will become an opportunity for getting free cosmetic surgery and similar.
    Reality shows are cheap, disposable television and smaller stations rely on them as they're often cheap to make, they don't have to pay actors and scriptwriters. However, they very rarely get repeated as everyone knows who the winner is, don't get made into DVDs and are largely forgettable.
  • 5 a day5 a day Posts: 12,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think all the main channels are a shadow of their former selves.

Just this morning I was flicking through the TV mag that came with the paper (just to see what I was missing!) and noticed Sunday daytime BBC1 with antiques and property show repeats - don't they do that every weekday too? -, ITV with bland repeats as well. I didn't look any further.

I haven't watched live TV for ages. In fact, I've not even watched anything on a catch-up service for months and don't miss it at all. I just have Netflix now.
  • packerbullypackerbully Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 a day wrote: »

I haven't watched live TV for ages. In fact, I've not even watched anything on a catch-up service for months and don't miss it at all. I just have Netflix now.

Agree completely, although unlike you I do watch sport, so I can only say that in reference to non sports programming.

I see Netfix as catch up , but in a different way.
  • wowboywowboy Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 5

If you take away the CSi rights, you essential have absolute rubbish. It's filled with awful documentaries about the working class and benefit cheats. They have brought big brother which has really been a good acquisition for the channel, but they have been over relying on it and watering it down. They have 2 celebrity series a year and 1 normal, it's ridiculous. They recently dropped once upon a time, walking dead etc. absolutely idiotic decisions. They are probably the two best and most popular shows on in US.. They should have aired OUaT soon after the US.

Really

Really was fast becoming a really good channel, it had covert affairs, hart of Dixie etc. and felt like it was becoming a channel of the lesser Us imports. They have recently dropped hart of Dixie and there Facebook is filled with people complaining. They seem too obsessed with Ghost adventures, and seem to be skewing towards paranormal shows, which is really boring. They show all sing marry avoid, A and E, DIY SOS and stuff like that now all day. It's bit meh.

ITV2

It's just meh, nothing to it now. The only good show they show is Vampire Diaries. Hopefully with the reality stuff moving to ITVBe later in the year the channel will become ITVs version of E4.