Opinion Polls Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Comments

• Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bass55 wrote: »
    How on earth can you be certain of that?

The polling has shown only a tiny minority have taken any notice of this story. Most people just don't care that much about tv debates.

They don't care for the news coverage.

Big difference.
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    I agreed with you that for most people viewing the debates is low on the list of priorities for them in every day life. However, as a potential voter I would imagine it would be quite high.

I find it bizarre to suggest that only 4% of potential voters would be interested in a TV Leaders debate. I would imagine the opposite. The ordinary citizen is not as invested in politics in terms of reading party manifesto's etc so having a TV debate between party leaders they could address the big issues that they're mainly concerned about.

That particular poll did not suggest only 4% were interested in seeing debates, but that 4% had noticed the discussion of tv debates in the media. Which goes to show most people (while they may or may not want to see debates) have better things to worry about. This entire debate 'fiasco' is a classic Westminster bubble issue - only the media and the politicians (and political obsessives) are talking about it.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The debates thing is a small effect. It is, however, a negative effect on David Cameron. And a positive effect on Ed Miliband. It all counts. Like points in a boxing match.

A person sort-of supporting UKIP might think worse of David Cameron and better of Ed Miliband.

Who knows the cumulative effect of these things? Eight more weeks to go.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    The debates thing is a small effect. It is, however, a negative effect on David Cameron. And a positive effect on Ed Miliband. It all counts. Like points in a boxing match.

A person sort-of supporting UKIP might think worse of David Cameron and better of Ed Miliband.

Who knows the cumulative effect of these things? Eight more weeks to go.

I would have thought so too but the polls have swung away from Labour since the issue arose. Maybe when (if) the debates happen and Cameron isn't there, then there might be some shift away. But for now - not even a hint. Not even a hint of a hint.
  • BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    bass55 wrote: »
    How on earth can you be certain of that?

The polling has shown only a tiny minority have taken any notice of this story. Most people just don't care that much about tv debates.

They don't KNOW about the story because our right wing press have done their best to bury it and when they have reported it it's been done in a ridiculously distorted fashion, eg the Telegraph piece in the BBC's lefty biased and The Sun's laughable "Cameron has thrown down the gauntlet" It will penetrate the public more when the actual debates take part, especially if the other leaders crack many a joke at his expense.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is best suited to represent the Green Party in the leaders TV debate?

Caroline Lucas 43%
    Nat Bennett 35%
    Jenny Jones 22%

(You gov)
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    They don't KNOW about the story because our right wing press have done their best to bury it and when they have reported it it's been done in a ridiculously distorted fashion, eg the Telegraph piece in the BBC's lefty biased and The Sun's laughable "Cameron has thrown down the gauntlet" It will penetrate the public more when the actual debates take part, especially if the other leaders crack many a joke at his expense.

And if it doesn't "penetrate the public more" - who are you going to blame then? (I'm already presuming you're not going to stand up and say you were wrong..)
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    oathy wrote: »

Caroline Lucas 43%
    Nat Bennett 35%
    Jenny Jones 22%

(You gov)

Green parties!
    What about Patrick Harvie?
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Caroline Lucas 43%
    Nat Bennett 35%
    Jenny Jones 22%

(You gov)

Does that mean Hague, heaven forebid, could cover for Cameron. And Harman for Miliband?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does that mean Hague, heaven forebid, could cover for Cameron. And Harman for Miliband?

:o:o:o
    Wow that would make for a good Debate....:blush::p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Latest YouGov poll (08 - 09 Mar):
    CON - 35% (+1)
    LAB - 31% (-2)
    UKIP - 14% (-1)
    LDEM - 8% (-)
    GRN - 6% (+1)
  • MattNMattN Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CON - 35% (+1)
    LAB - 31% (-2)
    UKIP - 14% (-1)
    LDEM - 8% (-)
    GRN - 6% (+1)

We're beginning to see quite a few Tory leads
  • Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why has Jol stopped posting polls?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MattN wrote: »
    CON - 35% (+1)
    LAB - 31% (-2)
    UKIP - 14% (-1)
    LDEM - 8% (-)
    GRN - 6% (+1)

We're beginning to see quite a few Tory leads

Lot depends on whether this becomes a break away lead.
    I still maintain Cameron will win but it wont be a 5 year term, I suspect its going to be more on a confidence and supply or leading a minority government.

Its going to be the entire EU subject that's going to force an Early election with luck by then Ed and Ed will be long off the scene. Balls today was supposed to be giving a major speech and even the audience looked bored stiff after 10 minutes.
    instantly forgettable Anyone who can make Osborne look good must be bad lets be honest.

As for Miliband I really hope they don't start hoping his TV debates are going to glitch this for him, Farage will charm the pants off everyone it just depends will that be Tory or Labour voters Charmed the most.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today's three polls, two with the Tories ahead.
    Averages:
    CON - 33.7%
    LAB - 31.3%
    UKIP - 14.7%
    LDEM - 7.3%
    GRN - 6.7%
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pat_Smith wrote: »
    Why has Jol stopped posting polls?

I have been a bit Quick off the mark posting them lately :blush:
  • Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been a bit Quick off the mark posting them lately :blush:

Oh, OK.

I thought it was because they showed mainly Tory leads and he'd slunk off into a corner somewhere.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like when for ages we had slight Labour leads on average, now we have slight Conservative leads on average.

So I would say the Conservatives have a slight lead.
    I wonder why? Maybe it's that tendency to support the incumbent that pollsters talk about.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Exactly. And all the hot air expended on here in past 4-5 days is exactly that - just hot air.

Wow such confidence, remind me though, have the debates happened yet are they in the past or is the whole thing set to properly kick off in the days around them and feeble Dave's no show in a couple of weeks, meet us back here on May the 5th (with 2 days to go) and we will see, of course you may be right and the fact that the leader of the Tory party has acted like a complete and utter coward might mean nothing to the British public,
    Personally I will refrain from making any predictions other than to say I believe the row about the debates hasn't even started properly yet, let alone reached the point where it can be called "hot air" with any degree of confidence......
    or perhaps that's not so much "confidence" and more a case of desperate wishful thinking?
  • SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Averages:
    CON - 33.7%
    LAB - 31.3%
    UKIP - 14.7%
    LDEM - 7.3%
    GRN - 6.7%

Using Electoral Calculus gave me this:

Con = 302
    Lab = 303
    LD = 12
    UKIP = 4
    OTH = 28

Labour short by 23, but this does ignore the SNP surge.
  • MattNMattN Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Final #Yougov March 2013 #tories 29% #Labour 42%
    Final #Yougov March 2014 #tories 34% #Labour 37%
    Tonight's #Yougov #Tories 35% #Labour 31%
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Averages:
    CON - 33.7%
    LAB - 31.3%
    UKIP - 14.7%
    LDEM - 7.3%
    GRN - 6.7%

Has the Polling Companies now taken into account what is happening in Scotland:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »
    Has the Polling Companies now taken into account what is happening in Scotland:confused:

I wonder the same. That would account for a few things trouble with yougov tomorrow
    that lead could either vanish or put labour back ahead. think the real worry for labour when that tory lead becomes a regular thing.

Its clear the focus on the Debates and Camerons Stance hasn't worked
  • Chirpy_ChickenChirpy_Chicken Posts: 1,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YouGov, polling firm

@YouGov
    Posted at
    tweets: Update: Cons lead at 4 - Latest YouGov / The Sun results 9th Mar - Con 35%, Lab 31%, LD 8%, UKIP 14%, GRN 6%; APP -14 More here.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its clear the focus on the Debates and Camerons Stance hasn't worked

Certainly no sign of the expected bounce in Labour support that some of their activists on this forum were predicting - at the moment Cameron seems to have got away with his stunt scot free.
This discussion has been closed.