Options

A bit of controversy over the use of the twin towers in new film.

molybecksmolybecks Posts: 14,553
Forum Member
✭✭
Last Friday, cinema's began the run of 'remember me', I am yet to see this film and it looks quite good.

However, reading reviews there has been some conflict over the use of 911 in the movie.

I would have posted this in the movie section but I thought this section is more relevent to people's views on something that people may find personal to themselves. I actually knew somebody who had a family member (or friend, can't quite remember) who died as a result of the 911 attacks, so i can understand those who have sort of become a victim of it being against the use of it.

What's your opinion? I personally don't mind as it can be quite educational for those 'over robsessed pattinson' fans who are only going to see the movie because of him-but leaving with a bit of knowledge.

Comments

• Options
    billlythekidbilllythekid Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    molybecks wrote: »
    Last Friday, cinema's began the run of 'remember me', I am yet to see this film and it looks quite good.

However, reading reviews there has been some conflict over the use of 911 in the movie.

I would have posted this in the movie section but I thought this section is more relevent to people's views on something that people may find personal to themselves. I actually knew somebody who had a family member (or friend, can't quite remember) who died as a result of the 911 attacks, so i can understand those who have sort of become a victim of it being against the use of it.

What's your opinion?I personally don't mind as it can be quite educational for those 'over robsessed pattinson' fans who are only going to see the movie because of him-but leaving with a bit of knowledge.

dont count on it the people who are probably going to see that film are the sort who scream and shout and talk all the way through would not surprise me if they talked all the way through the 9/11 bit and were quiet during pattinsons bit INGNORANCE.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Working on that basis, we couldn't have any films featuring anything which might kill off any characters, because it might upset someone who'd had someone die in that way, yet still chose to go to the cinema to see the film.

Who's pattinson?
  • Options
    trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    in order to start a discussion, for those of us who haven't seen the film, anything about the film, or know exactly what it is you are talking about, could you perhaps give a brief recap into what exactly the contentious scenes are?

it would save me having to trudge off to the movie sites to try and find out.

thanks so much
  • Options
    Moany LizaMoany Liza Posts: 22,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly though, the events of 9/11 are part of history and that will always be seen as material for making films.

Whilst it may be difficult for people who suffered loss as a result of the events of that day to accept the events being portrayed as entertainment, it is not a unique situation.
    Other tragic episodes have also taken place with significant loss of life and an accompanying impact on the national psyche - e.g. Pearl Harbor but they have still been portrayed on film - and often by doing this, the fim-makers can provide a version of an "understanding" of the event (or even stimulate a desire to discover more) to people who might otherwise not do so by themselves.
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    World Trade Center
    United 93
    :confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Invisipost
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I have read about this film, it sounds shite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't want to write the basic synopsis incase there were spoiler freaks out there but basically (so i read) Robert Pattinson's character, Tyler, is seen inside the world trade center and dies inside whilst making a call to a loved one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't want to write the basic synopsis incase there were spoiler freaks out there but basically (so i read) Robert Pattinson's character, Tyler, is seen inside the world trade center and dies inside whilst making a call to a loved one.
    And that's a spoiler-free review? With THE ENDING clearly described, but it's OK because you didn't mention the beginning?:rolleyes::D:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    World Trade Center
    United 93
    :confused::confused::confused:

I think, whereas those movies are entirely focused on the specifics of what happened on 11th September in an almost documentary style, the use of the Twin Towers in this entirely fictional movie is a contrived attempt to pull at the heart-strings.

Even so, I'm not entirely sure there is any 'controversy'. Is there?
  • Options
    jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    I think all Robert Pattinson movies should be banned for being pure crap.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way it's used in this movie sounds to me like a cheap, manipulative, out of the blue twist, which is just poor film making as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    who's robert pattinson?

the question is not a joke lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member

Damn it! I was going to see this movie and you've COMPLETELY ruined the ending for me. I had no idea and would have really appreciated spoiler tags.

Why oh why can't people put some thought into what they're posting and be more considerate. :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woven wrote: »
    Damn it! I was going to see this movie and you've COMPLETELY ruined the ending for me. I had no idea and would have really appreciated spoiler tags.

Why oh why can't people put some thought into what they're posting and be more considerate. :mad:

Sorry. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woven wrote: »

I'm glad to see someone agrees! It made me LOL that not putting the full synopsis apparently stops it being a spoiler!:rolleyes::rolleyes::confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    Why does using the Twin Towers in a film constitute controversy?

Its ancient history now - get over it already!

Its been used in other TV shows and films where they've flashbacked or whatever and nobody has batted an eyelid.
  • Options
    JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    dont count on it the people who are probably going to see that film are the sort who scream and shout and talk all the way through would not surprise me if they talked all the way through the 9/11 bit and were quiet during pattinsons bit INGNORANCE.

How did you guess, that's exactly what happened during my viewing!

I thought it was a good film actually and I'm not a raving Pattinson fan. I found the whole story quite poignant. It's a good sign if I don't fall asleep during a film and I stayed awake during this one.

There wasn't a huge emphasis on the 911 part, it just added to the whole poignancy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    viewaskew wrote: »
    Why does using the Twin Towers in a film constitute controversy?

Its ancient history now - get over it already!

Its been used in other TV shows and films where they've flashbacked or whatever and nobody has batted an eyelid.

I was wondering that myself. Other than the OP's title, I wasn't aware of any controversy surrounding the appearance of the Twin Towers in the film. Obviously, sitting here in Cheltenham, England, I'm not up-to-speed with the personal feelings of New Yorkers and the wider US population, but I've not seen anything on IMDB or other such sites to suggest anything controversial.

Incidentally, I thought the episode of Becker that was based around the trip of the elderly lady to Ground Zero was very well done and quite a surprise reveal without being tasteless or placed in with no good reason.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the film about 9/11 and/or the WTC attacks :confused: