I am so scared of dying... Help!

Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
Forum Member
✭✭✭
in the recent fashion of parodying existing threads...

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    The second you die it'll be as though you and the universe never existed from your perspective so nothing to worry about.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you've rather blown it.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd.:confused:
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The second you die it'll be as though you and the universe never existed from your perspective so nothing to worry about.
    Oddly that's the most scary thing I find about death. I believe when you die there's nothing, so in theory there's nothing to worry about, but it's the thought of not feeling, thinking, seeing etc a bit sad and frighteningly.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just like going to sleep, but not wake up again. That is how I want to die in my sleep.
    Not that I planning it for a while longer, I hope.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like to think of it as a lovely long, uninterrupted, lie in.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »
    Oddly that's the most scary thing I find about death. I believe when you die there's nothing, so in theory there's nothing to worry about, but it's the thought of not feeling, thinking, seeing etc a bit sad and frighteningly.

I understand what you mean, but you have to consider that there were billions of years, before you were born, when you were in exactly the same condition. Does that worry you at all?
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The mind cannot be photographed. Your mind will go onto greater things once you die.
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes the need to concentrate the mind to appreciate what you have and to enjoy life. Not always easy though as the reality of lifes fleetingness and beaury is not always kept.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's completely natural to fear the unknown. And death is the biggest of them all.

Death is like going to sleep forever with no timelimit!

Mind you, I'm a Christian so I believe death has been beaten so everyone's a winner ;)
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So being dead is the scary bit, or is it the process of dying?

I must admit the thought of a long drawn out and painful death is worrying, purely from the point of view my last days, hours, minutes are of suffering. A quick death like an anyeriusm or one you don'tknow about or register, like dying in your sleep, would be preferable.

Being dead - doesn't bother me at all. Tis what is it, one day you're here, the next gone. People may or may not get over it and you may or may not be remembered - the earth still turns, life goes on.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    We will all die one day (hopefully not all at the same time, and hopefully in several decades, not imminently).
    There's no point in fretting about it. Be the best person you can be and enjoy every day that passes.

“Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it?” ~ Caroline Myss
  • Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

H.Thompson.
  • TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can there be nothing for ever?
    People who believe in an afterlife have something to look forward to, whereas those who think everything ends when you die are more fearful, understandably.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I understand what you mean, but you have to consider that there were billions of years, before you were born, when you were in exactly the same condition. Does that worry you at all?
    Yeah I know that, but it's different being alive and knowing it will happen, it doesn't really worry me but it is an odd thing to think about.
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roger McGough's take on death -

http://www.poemhunter.com/best-poems/roger-mcgough/let-me-die-a-youngman-s-death/

from The Mersey Sound book
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tellystar wrote: »
    People who believe in an afterlife have something to look forward to, whereas those who think everything ends when you die are more fearful, understandably.

I'm horrified at the thought of an afterlife.

The thought of dying and that being that comforts me.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Tellystar wrote: »
    I wish I could believe in an afterlife. A very dear friend died suddenly last August aged 25, after anaphylaxis caused by a wasp sting. I'd love to think of him somewhere, going on, having fun. He was such a lively man, with so much enthusiasm and so much charisma. It's hard to realise he just isn't here anymore, that he has stopped existing. If there IS an afterlife, I hope I meet up with him and can give him the hug I should have given him in life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I wish I could believe in an afterlife. A very dear friend died suddenly last August aged 25, after anaphylaxis caused by a wasp sting. I'd love to think of him somewhere, going on, having fun. He was such a lively man, with so much enthusiasm and so much charisma. It's hard to realise he just isn't here anymore, that he has stopped existing. If there IS an afterlife, I hope I meet up with him and can give him the hug I should have given him in life.
    That's why religion is so popular, no doubt it's a much nicer thought to imagine your friend as still being alive in heaven and you'll see them again in a few short years but we have very good reasons why we don't believe that.

Life can be so harsh and religion can help people a great deal to cope with it all. Unfortunately though what feels good has no bearing on the truth as I know you're aware.
  • barrowgirlbarrowgirl Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    It's completely natural to fear the unknown. And death is the biggest of them all.

Death is like going to sleep forever with no timelimit!

Mind you, I'm a Christian so I believe death has been beaten so everyone's a winner ;)

I'm a Christian too as are millions of people across the world .As a mum of 2 adults in their 30's I'd have to say it is perfectly normal to be afraid of death .Everyone questions it at some time .
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well you won't be the first. Forgive me for stating the obvious, but we all expire. I have read somewhere that many people experience an overwhelming sense of peace and acceptance just before the moment of death - slightly reassuring.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you think about it when we go to sleep we might as well be dead. Death is simply when you don't wake up.
  • Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be scared of dying but it was more of where I would be going, was raised by two christian parents and told by them and pretty much everyone else when I was young I was going to hell
    but I think heaven and hell are christian concepts now anyway and I'd like to believe that you get to live your life over as a new person when you die
    after all people get hypnotised and find out they were such and such in a past life
    but then again there are plenty of videos on youtube about people having near death experiences and going to hell and coming back from it
    even though Penn and Teller debunked near death experiences as hallucinations when the brain is cut off from oxygen
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you let fickle fate decide your method of death then you are entitled to be scared of dying.
    It's the long, lingering death being eaten by your 10 cats after you've fallen down the stairs skenario that haunts us all..

However, If you choose the method, time and date of your demise , then you're laughing. If you get my drift.
    Leave a note for the milkman, cancel your Direct Debits and throw yourself off a high place, painless, so i'm reliably informed.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »
    Nobody seems to have complained about it so far do they. :)

I think of it as being recycled back to the earth. I was there at the point my father passed away quite young in his 50's in a hospice after over a year of serious illness (brain tumour) and it was something of an anti-climactic experience if I am being truthful.

This really isn't a good thread to be reading at 4 in the morning. :cry: