Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Met Melinda Messenger a few years back in Swansea and she was really lovely.
    Alex Jones from The One Show used to go out with my mate and she's a lot quieter away from the telly.
    Met Dr Michael Mosley from the Horizon programmes and he was slightly aloof but still came across well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Oh and I met Nicky Evans from Shameless and Tim Vincent in a bar in Los Angeles years ago.
    Nicky Evans was really nice but Tim Vincent was a bit up himself.
    I think they were both in Emmerdale at the time.

TBH, I hate judging people like this because I've got it wrong with impressions of people so many times.
    But like certain celebs who have been mentioned on here for their terrible behaviour I think a thread like this is Gold.
    By the way did anyone see that lovely down to earth character Cilla Black on Room 101 last night?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Derren Brown - I was very nervous meeting him as i'm a huge fan but he was very nice, always makes time after his live shows to meet fans and sign/have photos taken with everyone.

Penn and Teller - Also very nice and always meet the fans after their Vegas shows.

Alan Carr - Met him by accident on a night out in a club a few years ago, and despite me behaving like a slightly drunken fanboy he was lovely, very funny and happy to pose for pictures etc
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    8801 wrote: »
    Oh and I met Nicky Evans from Shameless and Tim Vincent in a bar in Los Angeles years ago.
    Nicky Evans was really nice but Tim Vincent was a bit up himself.
    I think they were both in Emmerdale at the time.

TBH, I hate judging people like this because I've got it wrong with impressions of people so many times.
    But like certain celebs who have been mentioned on here for their terrible behaviour I think a thread like this is Gold.
    By the way did anyone see that lovely down to earth character Cilla Black on Room 101 last night?

Yeah, as has been said before, it's the ones who consistently get bad rep that seem to be the genuinely 'difficult' ones :).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Met Melinda Messenger a few years back in Swansea and she was really lovely.

One of the nicest celebs I've ever met.
  • Vince JVince J Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met Jack White a few times last year after some shows. Nicest guy, humble, very funny and has a personality that fills up an entire room I've read stories of him being quite arrogant but I didn't get that impression at all! Smokes like a chimney and is incredibly tall.

Alison Mosshart is an absolute sweetheart, such a free spirit and just downright lovely.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I only think he's nice to look at ;)

I think people have said on here before he's pretty foul in real life

I read somewhere that he shoehorned his family into reserved seats allocated to lucky ticket holders for the diamond jubilee concert, daily mail probably. Ticket holders apparently livid when they went to their seats.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've got to say Cilla has some front, she must know the rumours about her, particularly from air-port crews.

Obviously she threw in that she was BIGGER than this other star:D

She usually does. In all recent interviews where I've been unfortunate enough to catch her, she doesn't fail to throw in how successful she was in comparison with her contemporaries of the day. She feigns surprise ('surprise surprise! :p) and comes out with something like "Oh, I was told the other day that I outsold...[insert 'x' female singer of the 1960s]." Sometimes, her interviewer will throw it in "Oh, did you know that you had more hits than...?" and it makes me a bit suspicious that they might have been 'primed' to say it in the pre-interview blurb because they know it will flatter her ego and get her talking.

Someone ought to tell her that bigger ain't necessarily better and that some of her contemporaries of the day blew her out of the water, vocally. She did used to have a half-decent voice but it was nowhere near the quality of people such as Dusty Springfield, Dionne Warwick and even Petula Clark. As the years went by, her voice got harsher and harsher 'til it sounded something like a constipated hen being chased with an axe.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    She usually does. In all recent interviews where I've been unfortunate enough to catch her, she doesn't fail to throw in ho successful she was in comparison with her contemporaries of the day. She feigns surprise ('surprise surprise! :p) and comes out with something like "Oh, I was told the other day that I outsold...[insert 'x' female singer of the 1960s]." Sometimes, her interviewer will throw it in "Oh, did you know that you had more hits than...?" and it makes me a bit suspicious that they might have been 'primed' to say it in the pre-interview blurb because they know it will flatter her ego and get her talking.

Someone ought to tell her that bigger ain't necessarily better and that some of her contemporaries of the day blew her out of the water, vocally. She did used to have a half-decent voice but it was nowhere near the quality of people such as Dusty Springfield, Dionne Warwick and even Petula Clark. As the years went by, her voice got harsher and harsher 'til it sounded something like a constipated hen being chased with an axe.
    I reckon she was bitter she never made it in America and by the late sixties was seen more as a host of syrupy entertainment shows than a singer on a par with Dusty Springfield. Also Surprise Surprise has to be the most toe curling, false show she ever presented- I bet she really wanted to be away from people she considered beneath her.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everytime I ring up Cadburys, as part of my job, they play the old TV ads & 9 times out of 10, its always bloody Cilla first!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Alex Jones from The One Show used to go out with my mate and she's a lot quieter away from the telly.

That's because she doesn't have an Autocue. :D
  • MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lembit Opik is lovely :)

Yes, strongly agree. I met him at an Irish Astronomy Association meeting here in NI few years back when he gave a talk about his grandfather who was a prominant astonomer. One of the best talks I have ever attended, he really knows his stuff in that field - fascinating speaker and a really, really nice person.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,845
    Forum Member
    She usually does. In all recent interviews where I've been unfortunate enough to catch her, she doesn't fail to throw in how successful she was in comparison with her contemporaries of the day. She feigns surprise ('surprise surprise! :p) and comes out with something like "Oh, I was told the other day that I outsold...[insert 'x' female singer of the 1960s]." Sometimes, her interviewer will throw it in "Oh, did you know that you had more hits than...?" and it makes me a bit suspicious that they might have been 'primed' to say it in the pre-interview blurb because they know it will flatter her ego and get her talking.

I'm no doubt the only person on the planet.... but I think Dusty was over-rated and at Cilla's best, I preferred her voice over Dusty's. But I will agree re Pet Clark (brilliant, such clarity) and Dionne.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met Richard Attenborough when I was at school...bit of a weird one, he was a fan of a book that one of my teachers wrote, I think he did the foreword for one of the editions of it.

This was just after Jurassic Park came out so everyone was in awe :D

Very nice guy, as far as I remember anyway.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    I'm no doubt the only person on the planet.... but I think Dusty was over-rated and at Cilla's best, I preferred her voice over Dusty's. But I will agree re Pet Clark (brilliant, such clarity) and Dionne.

I think you are EN.:D
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,845
    Forum Member
    I think you are EN.:D

I know! Don't get me wrong, I still think she was very good but I just didn't "get it" because to me I felt her range was quite limited. (Hides for cover).

Anwyay, sorry I've veered off topic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »

Fair do's Ella :D
    I bet there are a fair few that would agree with you.
    Because I've often had a pop at Cilla on DS I did find some clips of her earlier recordings (and my bf's mum loved her voice)...she did have a good voice. One person's preference is as good as another's. I do think in more recent decades it got shriller, though. Maybe due to strain.
    Dusty herself had a bit of a tempestuous private life but I liked her stand on Apartheid. I liked the 'smokiness' of her voice and do tend to prefer the huskier-voiced female singers.

Like you say you think Dusty was over-rated, I think Pet Clark has been under-rated. Read a recent interview with her and was delighted to see she's still working and busy at 80. She always did seem to have that Peter Pan thing going on!
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,007
    Forum Member
    Fair do's Ella :D
    I bet there are a fair few that would agree with you.
    Because I've often had a pop at Cilla on DS I did find some clips of her earlier recordings (and my bf's mum loved her voice)...she did have a good voice. One person's preference is as good as another's. I do think in more recent decades it got shriller, though.
    I agree that Cilla did have a pretty good, strong voice in the early days. However - I think you'll find the difference between her earlier good voice (that some remember) ... and the mostly remembered awful, weak and whiny outpourings that most people think of when they think of Ms Black - is the fact that she had her nose done! Very, very vain of her and her voice suffered (who'd have thought though that she'd still blight our TV lives with her National Treasure Professional Scouser act). Mind you - she's laughing all the way to the bank - I doubt she cares that she has an awful voice and most of the UK (and ALL of Liverpool) can't stand her.

Having said all that - back to the singing thing - even at her earliest best - Cilla Black wasn't a patch on Dusty Springfield.
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael Douglas: very low-key, nice and unassuming. Bumped into him while he was buying yoghurt in a supermarket with his son. Pleasant and chatty.
  • elgransenor1elgransenor1 Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    Michael Douglas: very low-key, nice and unassuming. Bumped into him while he was buying yoghurt in a supermarket with his son. Pleasant and chatty.

not being funny but don't you mean you accosted him in a conversation? by "bumping into him" suggests that you both casually got chatting, which I very much doubt is the case. are you saying he instigated it? :D

and people wonder why celebs get ratty sometimes. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    I had to laugh when I saw Cilla Black on Room 101 the other day and her offering was to put into the room, all the 'celebs' who say, "Don't you know who I am?"

But she was the worst of the lot for that kind of attitude!

I met her a couple of times back in the 60s and 70s, including having dinner with her and some of the other stars who were doing a summer season with her (I was a pop writer). Charming as long as everyone realised she was the centre of the world.

If the rules were not obeyed woe betide you!
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mattpaint wrote: »
    I had to laugh when I saw Cilla Black on Room 101 the other day and her offering was to put into the room, all the 'celebs' who say, "Don't you know who I am?"

But she was the worst of the lot for that kind of attitude!

I met her a couple of times back in the 60s and 70s, including having dinner with her and some of the other stars who were doing a summer season with her (I was a pop writer). Charming as long as everyone realised she was the centre of the world.

If the rules were not obeyed woe betide you!

I can understand why bobby sought love elsewhere,
  • VideoNiceyVideoNicey Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Spike Milligan - Went to his one-man show in the nineties, he was old and frail but still sharp as a tack, when someone made some off-colour remark about Harry Secombe (who was ill at the time), he said "F*** off you w***er!" :D
    When it came to my turn to meet the great man, he was like the daft grandad I always wished I'd had - the kind who'd make you tea and scones, then tell you his war stories and swear like a trooper ;)
  • monrosemonrose Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never met Cilla Black and after reading this forum, I don't think I'd want to either. I've seen her name mentioned a good number of times on this forum and I didn't see a single nice word about her so she really must be a bitch
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helen Skelton, for those who have not heard of her then you are very fortunate, dim blue Peter presenter once upon a time, not very articulate away from cameras and is very dense and ignorant. She farts like a horse that has had something crawl up its ass and die.

Oh I can't believe that. A friend of mine met her once and said she was as lovely in real life as she comes across on screen. I've got a lot of time for her :)