Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister's friend is over at uni in Manchester somewhere and she has a job in a bar not far from the Coronation Street set so about six months ago Kym Marsh (Michelle), Ryan Thomas (Jason) and Sol Heras (Ryan) were in the bar and she was serving them, apparently they were all very nice.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend Paul used to do a bit of stewarding at Maine Road when he was a student to make some money and remembers when Oasis played there in 1996- he wasn't at the gig- that Patsy Kensit was absolutely horrible to the stadium staff and pushed a cleaner out of her way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw Kenny Everett, one of my heroes, outside Capital Radio in 1986 and, for all he was a bit shy and nervous, was pleased when I told him he was a legend and how much I liked his shows. However, he said he was running a bit late and couldn't stop to chat, but I was glad he didn't let me down by telling me where to go.
    Barring Mike Smith and George Galloway, who I saw from a distance and had no interest in meeting( he looked sleazy and unpleasant), every other famous person I've seen has been fine.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found myself standing next to Zoe Ball at the great escape festival in Brighton 2 weeks ago, she was really friendly and bubbly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    This is an odd one, as I've not met him myself, but I'm intrigued...

Has anyone met Paul Merton?

He seems an odd character. I watch him on HIGNFY and he seems at times to be disinterested. There seems to be certain guests on the show that he likes (Brian Blessed, Reginald D Hunter) and others that he just switches off from. There's the famous clip of him telling Robert Kilroy Silk to "shut the f*** up" repeatedly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    was on a flight with eric cantona going back to manchester from france.
    he seemed happy enough to sign autographs and pose for photos whilst waiting for his bags.

my step brother and 5 year old nephew met steve davis outside the crucible recently. they got talking and upon learning that he was a snooker player, my nephew asked him if he was any good (!). he laughed and said "well, i used to be!"
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any Ideas wrote: »

He seems an odd character. I watch him on HIGNFY and he seems at times to be disinterested. There seems to be certain guests on the show that he likes (Brian Blessed, Reginald D Hunter) and others that he just switches off from. There's the famous clip of him telling Robert Kilroy Silk to "shut the f*** up" repeatedly.

I wish I could remember who it was but I once read a commentary by a female columnist who was pretty hacked off with him. She was at some event with a friend who has a mobility-related disability. Paul Merton was at the same event and I think she and her friend had to negotiate a difficult stairway (the place can't have been very well adapted for disabled access). As he was the only one passing at the time, she asked if he could give a hand. Instead, he just mumbled 'sorry', brushed past them and went on his way.

Well, there could have been many reasons for that but the columnist was pretty hacked off with him, which is why she mentioned it in her column. It was some years ago. She had liked him and his comedy prior to that event. Thing is, we don't know his side of it.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    I wish I could remember who it was but I once read a commentary by a female columnist who was pretty hacked off with him. She was at some event with a friend who has a mobility-related disability. Paul Merton was at the same event and I think she and her friend had to negotiate a difficult stairway (the place can't have been very well adapted for disabled access). As he was the only one passing at the time, she asked if he could give a hand. Instead, he just mumbled 'sorry', brushed past them and went on his way.

Well, there could have been many reasons for that but the columnist was pretty hacked off with him, which is why she mentioned it in her column. It was some years ago. She had liked him and his comedy prior to that event. Thing is, we don't know his side of it.

Well with the greatest respect and I know there are always two sides to every story..if and I repeat IF he refused to assist he is even a bigger a*se that I imagined him to be.:mad:
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Mind you, wouldnt you want to tell Kilroy STFU?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know he is widely despised now, but my grandparents met Hughie Green in Skegness when he was doing an Opportunity Knocks roadshow and said he was very friendly to the fans and was good with older people. I think for all Green was a womaniser, was a terrible father and an egotist, he always was fine with his fans.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I know he is widely despised now, but my grandparents met Hughie Green in Skegness when he was doing an Opportunity Knocks roadshow and said he was very friendly to the fans and was good with older people. I think for all Green was a womaniser, was a terrible father and an egotist, he always was fine with his fans.

Long long before the internet my pet name for him was Spewie Green.
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,181
    Forum Member

When he looks blank like that, I really think he's just trying to think up jokes.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »
    When he looks blank like that, I really think he's just trying to think up jokes.

I've always thought that was kind of 'the part he plays' on HIGNFY. He has come across quite differently on other things (notably Room 101) in which he was much more smiley and jokey, and far less blunt. He seems to make a point of not smiling or laughing at what people say on HIGNFY unless it's Ian.
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone ever met hugh jackman or know of any Hugh jackman encounters, because I would die inside if I found out he wasn't as nice and warm and down to earth in real life.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    loveloveX wrote: »
    Has anyone ever met hugh jackman or know of any Hugh jackman encounters, because I would die inside if I found out he wasn't as nice and warm and down to earth in real life.

I don't think I've ever seen a bad word printed about him, seems to be a genuine good guy.
  • HelenSnowflakeHelenSnowflake Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Not heard a bad word about Hugh, he's meant to be one of the nicest guys in showbiz. At the end of the shoot he often buys a lottery ticket for all the crew. An insider who worked on Les Mis said that apart from Hugh who was as always lovely the rest of the cast were terrible to work with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Not heard a bad word about Hugh, he's meant to be one of the nicest guys in showbiz. At the end of the shoot he often buys a lottery ticket for all the crew. An insider who worked on Les Mis said that apart from Hugh who was as always lovely the rest of the cast were terrible to work with.

Surely not Sam Barks and Eddie Redmayne? :eek:
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No idea what a relief that is!! now I just have to find a way to become his best friend :D

Im surprised if Helena bonham carter was awful. The rest wouldn't surprise me.
  • soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    loveloveX wrote: »
    Im surprised if Helena bonham carter was awful. The rest wouldn't surprise me.

I've heard it said that HBC can get very stressed out on set, and can be very snappy as a consequence. But the same person said that if this happens she always apologises after shooting has finished for the day and she starts to unwind. Don't know how accurate this is; my source worked on the last two HP films, but is a self-confessed HBCoholic and might be putting a good spin on a bad situation. On the other hand, there have been several interviews over the years with other actors, who have had nothing but praise for her...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I've always thought that was kind of 'the part he plays' on HIGNFY. He has come across quite differently on other things (notably Room 101) in which he was much more smiley and jokey, and far less blunt. He seems to make a point of not smiling or laughing at what people say on HIGNFY unless it's Ian.
    Sambda wrote: »
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Mind you, wouldnt you want to tell Kilroy STFU?

Thanks for your responses.

I listened to an interview with Paul Merton here and he comes across very well, and he even explains his often serious expression on HIGNFY.
  • Clark2012Clark2012 Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    Met Ben Hardy, Rupert Everett and Tom Colley after The Judas Kiss in March and have to say that they were all lovely. Rupert was a true gentleman, who really seemed to like being able to talk to his fans. Tom was also lovely, seemed to love his fans.

Ben was really shy, and really cute, a great guy. Considering that Tom and Ben had spent a good part of the show nude[both VERY impressive lower parts!], it surprised me how shy Ben was. All three were great, and the show was great too!
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A friend of mine works in the West End and apparently he smokes a lot of pot - his dressing room stank of it during a production he was on - I'm not sure if this is something my friend experienced or if he heard about it from work collegues.
  • BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    This must be the only place I haven't regurgitated my Dale Winton experience so I don't see why you should miss out...:rolleyes:

It' was when he was in Pets Win Prizes so must be 20 years or so. He turned up in a gay club in Sheffield with a couple of other blokes. It wasn't very busy and I copped him staring at me several times. At the end I was outside waiting for a taxi and he appeared beside me. (Dale Winton voice) "I've been looking at you all night and trying to pluck up courage to talk to you..." So we have a chat, and I asked him why he was doing in Sheffield. He something about having family living there. He was very pleasant but then again he was trying to get into my knicks so....
    Anyway after 5 minutes his mates polled up in a convertible, he said (Dale Winton voice) "0h god I'd better go" and he was off.

He was head to foot in snow washed denim with those big banana coloured caterpillar suede boots. He was very orange :eek:.

And no, I wouldn't have.... ;)
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    This must be the only place I haven't regurgitated my Dale Winton experience so I don't see why you should miss out...:rolleyes:

It' was when he was in Pets Win Prizes so must be 20 years or so. He turned up in a gay club in Sheffield with a couple of other blokes. It wasn't very busy and I copped him staring at me several times. At the end I was outside waiting for a taxi and he appeared beside me. (Dale Winton voice) "I've been looking at you all night and trying to pluck up courage to talk to you..." So we have a chat, and I asked him why he was doing in Sheffield. He something about having family living there. He was very pleasant but then again he was trying to get into my knicks so....
    Anyway after 5 minutes his mates polled up in a convertible, he said (Dale Winton voice) "0h god I'd better go" and he was off.

He was head to foot in snow washed denim with those big banana coloured caterpillar suede boots. He was very orange :eek:.

And no, I wouldn't have.... ;)

Oh but it's a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing. :D

He might have been trying for some panty action but at least he was a gent in talking directly to you. That's rather nice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have huge respect for any celebrity who is nice to their fans. It sounds stupid but think about it. We might want to walk from our homes to the shops for 10 minutes and you might be a bit tired, stressed out and hope you don't bump into anyone you know and then you get irritated when you bump into a neighbour, but think about what it must be like to be famous. Every single day of your life no matter where you go or what you're doing or how you're feeling you're going to have a crowd of strangers flashing cameras in your face and demanding autographs and pictures taken with them. I mean, sure sometimes they'll be in a good mood and have no problem standing around outside for ages pleasing everyone, but if you've travelled for hours on the plane to another country and the minute you leave the airport you get hounded by tons of people?

I could never do it. The old "they should be grateful to us because without us buying their songs/movies then they wouldn't have a career" argument is completely unfair because we aren't forced to buy their products. You make the choice of purchasing their album and as a consequence of that the artist provides their fans with a tour and Meet and Greet opportunities. You do not pay for their album (or download it illegally) and then call Ed Sheeran an ignorant bastard because he's flew from America to the UK and didn't stop to sign autographs for 100 other people. You choose to buy his album with the reward being the album itself, not an invitation to stop him in public and bombard him with autograph or picture requests.

I just couldn't imagine it. I'm recovering from surgery just now and I need to go for walks to get my strength back. The thought of being famous and me being harassed by strangers while in this amount of pain and discomfort makes me feel a bit ill and makes me glad to be anonymous.