Options

LG Nexus 4 officially announced

Comments

• Options
    denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe I am just a bit confused now. But since when do mobile phone companies tamper with the iOS software?! So how can it be Vodafone's fault?
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Read the Vodafone forums and plenty pror to the update will persuade you it was not Apple's fault. 'Vodafone malware' was all the rage.

On the subject of versions I suggest phone companies simply release updates test releases into the wild.
    That way they are not liable for something of no monetary gain.

All iPhones sold have no third party software on them, I don't see how it can be Vodafones fault. Vodafone reported:

“Apple has fixed 3G performance with its iPhone 4S software please switch your phone off and on then download and install iOS 6.1.1.”

Which suggests it was an issue at Apple's end.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    denyo1977 wrote: »
    Maybe I am just a bit confused now. But since when do mobile phone companies tamper with the iOS software?! So how can it be Vodafone's fault?

I dont think alan was stating this as HIS opinion .... more so an opinion stated by some die-hards on the vodafone forums.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe wrongly worded.

"Try to persuade you" was better. 'Vodafone malware' came to the fore yet again.

The problem obviously had little to do with Vodafone and they just covered their own backsides as defence against the anti-Vodafone brigade.
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    I dont think alan was stating this as HIS opinion .... more so an opinion stated by some die-hards on the vodafone forums.

Yep, Alan mentioned "plenty prior to the update" which obviously means vodafone users.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Got it now!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I've noticed that whenever I put the Nexus 4 on silent or vibrate then put it back to " normal" mode the default ringtone volume has gone away down to the point where I miss messages etc. Each time I have to go into Settings, Volumes etc and put it back up. Can anyone tell me why please?
  • Options
    pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GWJT06 wrote: »
    I've noticed that whenever I put the Nexus 4 on silent or vibrate then put it back to " normal" mode the default ringtone volume has gone away down to the point where I miss messages etc. Each time I have to go into Settings, Volumes etc and put it back up. Can anyone tell me why please?
    What method do you use to silence the phone, and to put it back to normal? If you silence the phone by turning the volume all the way down using the volume rocker, the phone will "remember" the last volume setting as being the lowest possible volume. Then when you unsilence it, it will return to just that.

If you silence/vibrate the phone directly from full volume without using the rocker, then when you unsilence it it should return to the same.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that. I'll be sure to use the power key shortcut rather than the rocker in future. Just wish the rocker wasn't so easy to press!
  • Options
    rewindrewind Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone suffer from slow downs sometimes after unlocking? I unlock the phone and if I swipe the screen or select an app it can stutter and then goes back to normal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rewind wrote: »
    Does anyone suffer from slow downs sometimes after unlocking? I unlock the phone and if I swipe the screen or select an app it can stutter and then goes back to normal.

are you on a custom ROM or custom Kernel ? I had this on a few custom ROMs but the Devs seem to have fixed it .....
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rewind wrote: »

I think a lot of phones do that, you think about it when the phone is locked it is a low powered state, you wake it up and it takes a second or so to come up to power.

I know both of my Android based phones did or still do int he case of the one I have still got.
  • Options
    rewindrewind Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I am just on the stock version of Android that came with the phone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just noticed it makes a noise when i stick it on my wireless charger now.

I also see the Orb charger is now being sold, out of stock now in the US :mad:
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I think a lot of phones do that, you think about it when the phone is locked it is a low powered state, you wake it up and it takes a second or so to come up to power.

I know both of my Android based phones did or still do int he case of the one I have still got.

I get that with my N7 but not the N4.
  • Options
    cribologycribology Posts: 1,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So one of the two main reasons for buying the N4 is to get timely software/firmware updates yet I am waiting for 4.2.2 to be released although it has been released elsewhere. WTF.
  • Options
    SadmeHappySadmeHappy Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    cribology wrote: »
    So one of the two main reasons for buying the N4 is to get timely software/firmware updates yet I am waiting for 4.2.2 to be released although it has been released elsewhere. WTF.

Try this method it worked for me this afternoon

Go setting and location then Disable

Go to setting--->apps--->all--->Google Services Framework---->Clear framework data--->Disable framework and enable again

Now check for update.

Should be there. :-D location

Once updated then don't forget to resync Google account.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Its been released everywhere. I got it yesterday. Some people are getting it today.

I was just last night about to sideload my update via ADB but just as i was hooking it up, it popped through!
  • Options
    cribologycribology Posts: 1,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SadmeHappy wrote: »
    Try this method it worked for me this afternoon

Go setting and location then Disable

Go to setting--->apps--->all--->Google Services Framework---->Clear framework data--->Disable framework and enable again

Now check for update.

Should be there. :-D location

Once updated then don't forget to resync Google account.

No luck, tried it 3 times to be sure but no update

build number JOP40D
    BASEBAND VERSION
    M9615A-CEFWMAZM-2.0.1700.33
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

build number JOP40D
    BASEBAND VERSION

I have the same as you and no update yet either. It'll come. It's only a couple of days.
  • Options
    markrdukmarkrduk Posts: 1,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like Ubuntu for mobiles will be available to install on the N4 (and Galaxy Nexus) from next Thursday, albeit in a beta/developer preview form.

Exciting times!

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/49905/ubuntu-mobile-developer-preview-galaxy-nexus-4
  • Options
    SadmeHappySadmeHappy Posts: 399
    Forum Member

build number JOP40D
    BASEBAND VERSION

I wasn't getting update and i read this trick on google+ so tried and right away i got update and most of people are getting it. so try again later today
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    markrduk wrote: »
    Looks like Ubuntu for mobiles will be available to install on the N4 (and Galaxy Nexus) from next Thursday, albeit in a beta/developer preview form.

Exciting times!

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/49905/ubuntu-mobile-developer-preview-galaxy-nexus-4

Great, but what happens if you don't like it, is it possible to get back the Android OS?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Great, but what happens if you don't like it, is it possible to get back the Android OS?

if its bootable using the same recovery then its simply backup your android (using Nandroid) and then restore it if/when you dont like ubuntu. I'll be trying it on my galaxy nexus :)

.... not sure what the app range is like though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    if its bootable using the same recovery then its simply backup your android (using Nandroid) and then restore it if/when you dont like ubuntu. I'll be trying it on my galaxy nexus :)

.... not sure what the app range is like though.

Never heard of Nandroid, but had a search for it and as far as i can see you need to use a SDcard to back the system up to, which is not possible with the Nexus 4.

I have also heard that Android apps or most of them anyway will work with ubuntu.