Options

Gerbil with a closed eye

NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
Forum Member
✭✭
I've recently noticed that my son's gerbil has one of his eyes closed. Otherwise he appears well, appetite is okay. He is quite an old gerbil,over five years of age. Any advice please. :)

Comments

• Options
    Rocket QueenRocket Queen Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a good age for a gerbil!

I used to keep gerbils many years ago,
    and if any of mine had eye probs, used to try and clean their eye with cotton wool soaked in warm water,
    but if in doubt, pop him to vets:)
  • Options
    kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes a closed eye can indicate gum or tooth issues or tumours so definitely best to get a check up. One of my boys had trouble with his eye closing but now that his teeth and gums aren't troubling him it's died down. Also, definitely a fantastic age for a gerbil!
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the advice folks, took him to the vet and he now has antibiotics for conjunctivitis. Looking much better already.:)
  • Options
    kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice folks, took him to the vet and he now has antibiotics for conjunctivitis. Looking much better already.:)

Aww bless him! :D
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    I've recently noticed that my son's gerbil has one of his eyes closed. Otherwise he appears well, appetite is okay. He is quite an old gerbil,over five years of age. Any advice please. :)

His name isn't kevin is it?;-)