When to follow up an interview?

2»

Comments

• Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    When someone has made an effort to go to a job interview, they have make an effort to travel there, perhaps taken time off work, had a lot of questions fired at them, perhaps even been given tasks to accomplish. This can almost be like sitting an exam and yet you seem to think that just because the HR department is 'busy' they don't deserve the dignity of a reply. That's disgustingly rude.

Companies who don't respond after you have been to an interview are beneath contempt IMO.

When was the last time you went job hunting?? mOST companies are the same these days, it's not like there are baddies out there & goodies-they're all pretty much the same.
    My co happen to be good at replying-but many aren't. I have a family member right now who hasn't heard back a week after interview. It's certainly not uncommon.
    I know many people won't like what I've written, but I'm afraid it's the truth. And the truth ain't always to everyone's liking.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    When someone has made an effort to go to a job interview, they have make an effort to travel there, perhaps taken time off work, had a lot of questions fired at them, perhaps even been given tasks to accomplish. This can almost be like sitting an exam and yet you seem to think that just because the HR department is 'busy' they don't deserve the dignity of a reply. That's disgustingly rude.

Companies who don't respond after you have been to an interview are beneath contempt IMO.

I agree with you and this is from someone who works in HR and has some responsibility in this area, it is incredibly rude when people have made the effort. I really have a go at our managers if they don't respond to people within a decent timeframe. What employers don't think about is that sort of poor practice effects the employer brand and in a very competitive environment, employer reputation means a lot.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    I agree with you and this is from someone who works in HR and has some responsibility in this area, it is incredibly rude when people have made the effort. I really have a go at our managers if they don't respond to people within a decent timeframe. What employers don't think about is that sort of poor practice effects the employer brand and in a very competitive environment, employer reputation means a lot.

I do a lot of interviews and it's really frustrating for us when we feedback to HR within hours (and often minutes) of the interview that we want to make an offer and then they take a week or more to get back to the interviewee. We've lost out on a few really good people purely because our recruitment team are 'too busy' to make a 2 minute call to tell someone they're making them a offer. We're expected to make time, often unpaid overtime, to conduct the interviews in the first place but our HR can't find the time to let the person know we like them? Poor excuse imo
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    When was the last time you went job hunting?? mOST companies are the same these days, it's not like there are baddies out there & goodies-they're all pretty much the same.
    My co happen to be good at replying-but many aren't. I have a family member right now who hasn't heard back a week after interview. It's certainly not uncommon.
    I know many people won't like what I've written, but I'm afraid it's the truth. And the truth ain't always to everyone's liking.

I have experienced this myself while job hunting last year. It might be common practice now for companies to think that they will only bother to contact the successful applicant but I still believe it to be incredibly rude not to contact the rejected candidates. It doesn't take much effort to send an email telling someone they haven't got the job. It reflects very badly on the company if they can't be bothered to do this.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I do a lot of interviews and it's really frustrating for us when we feedback to HR within hours (and often minutes) of the interview that we want to make an offer and then they take a week or more to get back to the interviewee. We've lost out on a few really good people purely because our recruitment team are 'too busy' to make a 2 minute call to tell someone they're making them a offer. We're expected to make time, often unpaid overtime, to conduct the interviews in the first place but our HR can't find the time to let the person know we like them? Poor excuse imo

Well that sounds like very poor practice and losing the person you wanted for the job shouldn't happen due to the incompetence of your HR department. Contacting applicants after interviews should be a priority in their workload, not something relegated to last on the list!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that sounds like very poor practice and losing the person you wanted for the job shouldn't happen due to the incompetence of your HR department. Contacting applicants after interviews should be a priority in their workload, not something relegated to last on the list!

I totally agree and it's a long running argument we have with them. We've come straight out of an interview before now and said to our recruitment manager 'we love her. Please make her an offer asap'. Then a few days later, we call HR and ask if they've heard back yet and they say that they 'haven't had time' to call yet. I mean FFS!! Just pick up a phone and make the call. What is more important than that?
    We've even said we'll make the call ourselves but that not 'procedure' apparently
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I totally agree and it's a long running argument we have with them. We've come straight out of an interview before now and said to our recruitment manager 'we love her. Please make her an offer asap'. Then a few days later, we call HR and ask if they've heard back yet and they say that they 'haven't had time' to call yet. I mean FFS!! Just pick up a phone and make the call. What is more important than that?
    We've even said we'll make the call ourselves but that not 'procedure' apparently

I was just going to say that you should change your process a bit. We expect the line manager to make the verbal offer either same day or the next. Then HR receives the authority to send the offer out in writing, we normally do this within 48 hours, but mostly the same day we receive it. If you're losing good people through poor process management, something has to change as that isn't acceptable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    HR is so bad in my sector that the last few times I've been offered a job the person who will be my manager has called me and then said HR will be in touch - and I've then often waited another week for HR to contact (which is an issue as there are loads of checks, including DBS which takes time so delays just mean a delay to my start date).

I completely understand how busy companies are but I'm with those who say that someone should get feedback after an interview if they want it. In most cases I can usually tell if I've cocked up an interview and don't want or need feedback to confirm it. Or I thought they were weird so it works both ways!

We've had candidates give us feedback too. Quite ballsy of them really, I wouldn't dare. :D
  • Options
    L_SilverwolfL_Silverwolf Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    toofast wrote: »
    Over a week is hardly immediately. I want to know because it would enable me to make some key decisions about moving etc.

Anyhow, after two follow-up emails, first a thank-you then yesterday a non-pushy 'has the vacancy been filled' one, absolutely sweet FA!

All very baffling really, and frankly inconsiderate considering the effort I made to attend the interview. I now realise that they would probably be damn awful employers with such poor communication skills and etiquette.

I can understand non-respondents with regards to the application stage, but not when it's gone to interview stage. W*****ks!

Have you heard yet? I agree that it's frustrating when you have to wait. Reading your original posts about how they called you in to interview for a different role than the one you'd applied for makes me suspect that there's a fair bit going on behind the scenes. Perhaps they've had to create a new role, or perhaps they've brought it forward to start earlier than they'd originally intended? Either way, there's bound to be loose ends to tie up regarding budgets, line of responsibility, authorisations etc. for the new role.

I've been a contractor for a long time. I've had many interviews. Sometimes companies come back to you with a yes very quickly, some have taken their time with a no, but equally I've had those I've assumed I didn't get, only to hear back weeks later that they want me to start ASAP. Different companies, different ways of doing stuff! You never can tell!

Anyway - don't assume it's a no, yet. You've done all the right things by confirming that you're still interested. Now, I'd suggest you're better off waiting for them to get back to you in their own time. Good luck.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP sounds a bit unhinged :p A week is not that long to wait. I had a job offer after a week last year. I think it would have been quite off-putting if I had been barraging them for updates in the meantime. There are quite a few processes some companies have to go through before making an offer, even if you are their first (or only) choice. No one wants to work with someone who is impatient or gives ultimatums.
  • Options
    toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In a nutshell. Thank you.
    BTW. It took me 2 buses, a day off work, fresh haircut, and new trousers. To boot, it was chucking it down with rain and the company was not exactly near to the bus stop.
    I still believe it is so incredibly rude for the neither the MD or his side kick to drop me a quick email to let me know either way.
  • Options
    scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a nutshell. Thank you.
    BTW. It took me 2 buses, a day off work, fresh haircut, and new trousers. To boot, it was chucking it down with rain and the company was not exactly near to the bus stop.
    I still believe it is so incredibly rude for the neither the MD or his side kick to drop me a quick email to let me know either way.

You might be first reserve - and the primary candidate isn't answering.

Then they really can't tell you that :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scottl wrote: »
    You might be first reserve - and the primary candidate isn't answering.

Then they really can't tell you that :)

Doubt it. The position wasn't advertised and (long story) they were not interviewing anyone at that time.
    I couldn't care leas about that company nor the position now, but what infuriates me is their absolute lack of manners and respect for someone who had obviously gone to some effort to attend.
    I am cobsidering calling them just to put them on the spot. The manager even gave me his card and asked me to call him if I had any queries.
  • Options
    fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    Doubt it. The position wasn't advertised and (long story) they were not interviewing anyone at that time.
    I couldn't care leas about that company nor the position now, but what infuriates me is their absolute lack of manners and respect for someone who had obviously gone to some effort to attend.
    I am cobsidering calling them just to put them on the spot. The manager even gave me his card and asked me to call him if I had any queries.

You sound bitter. Without sounding harsh, you need to get over it and move on. Thousands of people don't hear back from interviews everyday. It's crap but it happens.

Edit: so you weren't the only person they interviewed then? :confused:
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went for an interview last Thursday. It went extremely well, and I left feeling very positive about it, however, I have not heard a peep since. Being the only candidate for the position, and with some very strong indicators that they were interested in hiring me, I had expected an email or phone call the following day. But having been in this position before how fickle employers can be!
    Should I send a follow up email to them today, or will it look too soon? What is the protocol....?
    I am off my current job right now and really don't want to go back next week! :confused:

typically, and obviously, if an employer wants to employ someone they will get in touch when they are ready to offer someone a job. I've never heard of an employer who wants to employ someone, holding back from getting in touch to see if they get in touch first

whilst you may have been the only candidate, or at least told you were the only candidate, you may have not been what the employer was looking for, and they may have been in touch with (other) agencies to find other candidates that are more what they are after, before making a decision. or they may have offered the post to someone else and they are waiting for them to start before notifying unsuccessful candidates, as someones the person you offer the job to doesn't turn up on day one, so rather than going back to the second best person and saying whilst they told you you were unsuccessful, they are going to offer you the job, and you will be wondering what happened to the other person, you don't find out that information and haven't been let down by a rejection letter

of course each employer will work in their own ways, but there are often various reasons as to why employers don't get in touch, from time and lack of resources when they may already be understaffed due to the post being required, to more complicated ones. sometimes recruiters have a big workload and prioritise and some posts may be delayed in getting filled, or holidays or absence can delay replies
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    We've had candidates give us feedback too. Quite ballsy of them really, I wouldn't dare. :D

I had a terrible interview experience once - in the way it was handled not the actual questions. Finally I got the expected rejection letter which also asked if I wanted feedback. 'No' I replied 'but here is my feedback of you'.
    They were clearly a bit upset as it took ages to get my expenses out of them after that. :D
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »

My pet hate is people wanting feedback. Quite often when people ask for feedback at my co it's awkward as the honest answer to why someone didn't get the job is "they came across as unpleasant" or "they just seemed weird!!"
    That one's really difficult. They say impressions are made within minutes of the candidate walking into the interview room and I think that's true. I was once put off from the start by the interviewee's shiny suit - honestly you could see your face in his kneecaps :D. Fortunately there were more substantive things on which to base a decision. But sometimes if you have two candidates at level pegging, the decision will sometimes turn on a hair - especially if the line manager is on the panel. If they can't see themselves working with you, forget it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    typically, and obviously, if an employer wants to employ someone they will get in touch when they are ready to offer someone a job. I've never heard of an employer who wants to employ someone, holding back from getting in touch to see if they get in touch first

whilst you may have been the only candidate, or at least told you were the only candidate, you may have not been what the employer was looking for, and they may have been in touch with (other) agencies to find other candidates that are more what they are after, before making a decision. or they may have offered the post to someone else and they are waiting for them to start before notifying unsuccessful candidates, as someones the person you offer the job to doesn't turn up on day one, so rather than going back to the second best person and saying whilst they told you you were unsuccessful, they are going to offer you the job, and you will be wondering what happened to the other person, you don't find out that information and haven't been let down by a rejection letter

of course each employer will work in their own ways, but there are often various reasons as to why employers don't get in touch, from time and lack of resources when they may already be understaffed due to the post being required, to more complicated ones. sometimes recruiters have a big workload and prioritise and some posts may be delayed in getting filled, or holidays or absence can delay replies

Let's not dress it up with modern day office political shite talk.

How long does it take to send a generic rejection email? 1 minute?

How much this is cost to attend interview? 1 days holiday pay. + £50 including travel, trousers and haircut!

1 minute = lack of resources. Don't make me laugh. It's plain ill-mannered and discourteous!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a terrible interview experience once - in the way it was handled not the actual questions. Finally I got the expected rejection letter which also asked if I wanted feedback. 'No' I replied 'but here is my feedback of you'.
    They were clearly a bit upset as it took ages to get my expenses out of them after that. :D

I had an awful experience once where the two guys interviewing me were like a pair of teenagers, giggling and making private jokes. It was just excruciating.
    The agency then called me and said they wanted me back for a second interview. I said no I wasn't interested as the interview was extremely uncomfortable and I wouldn't want to work with those people and she get really shirty and told me I HAD to give them another chance or else I wasn't being fair.
    I asked her 'would they give me another chance if I was absolutely dreadful at interview and she said that was completely different - er no it's not!

I asked her to feed this back to them as it might stop them doing the same thing again and she told me that giving feedback only works one way :confused:
  • Options
    babinabababinaba Posts: 5,447
    Forum Member
    Why don't you just withdraw? You seem pissed at them, then you wouldn't be waiting and wondering
  • Options
    Forum Member

I love it! :D There's nothing wrong with constructive feedback from candidates; if it's valid then I'll certainly consider what they've said, and change what I can.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babinaba wrote: »
    Why don't you just withdraw? You seem pissed at them, then you wouldn't be waiting and wondering

The point is that they have been a disgrace by not having the decent common courtesy to take one minute of their day to drop me a line. I could not give a flying **** about the job now but I do give some importance to their etiquette and ill-mannered lack of response.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you ever hear back OP?

From this thread it sounds like you had a lucky escape. I'm not sure you would have the patience to deal with some of the crap that these companies can heap on employees. I work in HR and I can tell you that not giving feedback to an interview candidate is very low down on the list of awful things a company can do to you.