Cat(s) Misbehaving - At Wits' End

loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
Forum Member
One or more of our cats keeps urinating on the kitchen side.
Whoever it was used to pee on one of the sides about a year ago but we made a sheet thing to put up and it stopped. But just recently they've been doing it on the other side, against the spice rack and some jars.

One of our cats has a flea allergy (actually two of them do, but one is fine) and he is losing his fur on his back. He keeps spraying on things and occasionally one of the others sprays where he's been.

We don't know which one(s) is doing the urinating as they always do it when no one is around.

We love our cats to bits and want to keep them but if this keeps happening we don't know what to do. :confused:

Comments

• Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    My first instinct in this case would be to take the cats to the vets and mention about the urinating and see what they suggest. I know sometimes when cats have a urine infection they urinate on cold surfaces, it may be that your kitchen side feels cold to them. If you chat to the vet they may be able to suggest different things you could try or different explanations for the behaviour. Are the cats neutured?
  • goldieloxgoldielox Posts: 8,425
    Forum Member
    Take them to the vets.

It could possibly be a territory thing going on - my younger one started weeing on my older ones food when a battle was going on behind the scenes as to who was "top cat". The little one thought that should be her.

However it could also be an infection or something else causing pain when they urinate. They associate wherever they usually wee ie litter tray or wherever as the cause of the pain, and so they start to wee somewhere else instead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd suggest a visit to the vet about the allergy and a change of flea killer.
    The urination is partly territory, partly because they've discovered a reason for not going out and partly a habit.

In the first instance, you could try denying access to the kitchen when you're not around and see if they *forget*, this worked when I had a similar issue with my boycat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Another vote for the. Vets - is it a puddle? (rather than marking?)

Do they have a litter tray or are they outdoor cats? Maybe put a tray the kitchen if not?
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they all spayed / neutered? How many cats are there? And have there been any changes in the household recently - like a new pet, a new baby, building works, etc? Or it could be that one of them is ill - you're not aware but they are - and there's a hierarchy shift going on.

You probably know this but don't use an ammonia-based cleaner to get rid of the urine and smell - it'll cause them to re-mark because of the ammonia. Ideally use a solution of something like Biotex to dissolve the proteins in the pee and then wash off with a biological washing powder, rinsing well.