Options

Get him to The Greek (Russell Brand & Jonah Hill)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,260
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The latest film from Judd Appatow.
Trailer has just been released and it looks kinda good.
Hit or flop?

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/gethimtothegreek/

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same trailer but without the Apple.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLG5M1pw7ls

I'm torn, I love Russel Brand but hate Jonah Hill. He's good in films where he isn't in it much like 40 year old virgin but he completely ruined superbad for me because I find him so annoying.

This film will be a big hit, Forgetting Sarah Marshal was a big hit and for most people the best thing about it was Russel Brand. His own spin off film is great news.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously love the trailer..it's gonna be so epic. Can take or leave Jonah Hill..would've loved Jason Segel/Seth Rogen to have been in it though :D:D

Did I see the guy who played Ed in series 8 of Scrubs in the meeting scene, the guy who had the "flush tones" idea?
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same trailer but without the Apple.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLG5M1pw7ls

I'm torn, I love Russel Brand but hate Jonah Hill. He's good in films where he isn't in it much like 40 year old virgin but he completely ruined superbad for me because I find him so annoying.

This film will be a big hit, Forgetting Sarah Marshal was a big hit and for most people the best thing about it was Russel Brand. His own spin off film is great news.

If the 'best thing in a film' is Russell Brand I certainly will never watch it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously love the trailer..it's gonna be so epic. Can take or leave Jonah Hill..would've loved Jason Segel/Seth Rogen to have been in it though :D:D

Did I see the guy who played Ed in series 8 of Scrubs in the meeting scene, the guy who had the "flush tones" idea?

yea, he's called aziz ansari and he is a stand-up comedian.
  • Options
    xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    Pity Kate Perry did nt get a cameo role
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    Pity Kate Perry did nt get a cameo role

Apparently she was in the film but her part got cut.
  • Options
    xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    Russ and Kate could become the
    new Burton and Taylor
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this film today and really enjoyed it. I will say upfront that I'm a Russell Brand fan, but was really impressed with his performance in this. Jonah was also really good and I was very suprised with how funny P Diddy was too!

I was at an advance screening thingy and the film was introduced by Russell and Jonah and they both seemed really proud of the movie and I think they should be!

I do think this will be a hit, and I dont think the trailer does it justice - there's much more to it than just a bit of a road movie, can highly recommend.
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this film last night, seriously one of the funniest films I've seen in a long time. Russell Brands acting was actually really good (sorry Russell, didn't actually think it would be lol).
    Just stroke the furry wall :D
  • Options
    ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Russ and Kate could become the
    new Burton and Taylor

Oh, please god tell me you are being ironic.
  • Options
    SonickSonick Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    Saw this today, Its ok but prefer Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

Stand out of the film is P Diddy who steals every scene he is in. :D
  • Options
    gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    The whole "Furry Wall" scene was the best bit of the whole movie, I couldn't stop laughing.
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this on Wednesday, and even though I'm a fan of Russ from his podcast days, I was surprised how good GHTTG was.

It'll win no awards, and is kind of infantile at times, but I was in stitches throughout, and one particular sequence (you'll know which one) had me laughing so much it hurt.

Agree with posters above though: Diddy steals the show. Such a funny performance and a wonderful surprise.
  • Options
    jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate Russell Brand. Got to say I like the film though. Wasn't side splitting funny, but was very amusing and Russell played the character well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it today, was HILARIOUS.
    I was surprised with P-Diddys performance and Russell obviously suited the character well.
    On par with FSM. loved the vegas scenes, "african face" and mind-fvcking the best.

oh, and the songs were great too, it was russell singing all of them and he has a great voice.

7.5/10
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saw today..LOVED IT. I cant stand p.diddy, but he was very watchable and entertaining. hill and Brand make a great team. nice to see Elizabeth moss getting work outside of mad men. started out slow though.

8/10
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For Brand's first starring role he does ok. But not exactly a real push for him.

Sadly there just doesn't feel like there's any real chemistry between Brand and Hill. But as others here have said, The Diddy man won't do his film career any harm at all with his role.

Review here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it, i thought it was a silly, funny movie....I can't stand Diddy either but he was so hilarious, he has good comedic chops....the end bit was rather touching between Jonah and Russell's characters....They both did justice to their roles....Good to see Aziz Ansari make an appearance in the beginning....xxo

8.5/10
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Just got back from seeing it and i thought it was great. It seemed to run out of steam a bit towards the end when all the sentimental stuff kicked in, but it was enjoyable enough. I used to hate Brand, but i've got to say that i'm warming to him after this.

The mind-f*ck thing was hilarious:
    "Can you feel my d*ck, f*cking your mind?", "well i hope you're wearing a condom, cos i've got a pretty dirty mind", lol.

A solid 8/10 from me.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw this at the cinema. I'd say it's a pretty good movie to watch with your mates when you just want something simple and funny but I wouldn't go to the bother of going out to watch it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sonick wrote: »
    Saw this today, Its ok but prefer Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

Stand out of the film is P Diddy who steals every scene he is in. :D

Completely agree with this!

It was very, very funny in places (especially the scenes with P Diddy) but I do prefer Forgetting Sarah Marshall overall, brilliant film!
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole "Furry Wall" scene was the best bit of the whole movie, I couldn't stop laughing.

This, that was just brilliant. :D

Good film, much better than I was expecting! Russell Brand was really good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I utterly hated the film, it wasn't funny, very hedonistic. I hoping to see a very funny comedy, but slept through part of the film due to boredom , the plot was very weak. Although Brand has the potential to be a good actor, this film didn't highlight his talent.

The only good part was P Diddy he clearly has excellent comic timing and stole, most of the scenes. I hated the inane swearing, brought nothing to the film.

In conclusion, Brand had a wasted opportunity to make a really funny film, but the script and plot was weak and boring
  • Options
    Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I thought it was amazing! Really funny - if a film makes an audience laugh in the cinema (it did, and was practically sold out) then it's done it's job.

Loved the throw back to Sarah Marshall
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    That hotel room/furry wall scene was ****ing hilarious, and Diddy really did surprise me with his comedic timing...definitely not just a cheap 'name' to bring in cash.

I think, though, Forgetting Sarah Marshall had a better story arc and character development...for a comedy.

It seemed a bit stop/start, and there wasn't enough of a build up of actually getting him to the Greek...I didn't feel there was a point where Brand's character genuinely might not make it. It was just a song and dance coaxing him along.

Maybe it needed a scene where Brand was in real crisis, like perhaps him OD'ing. Not half-arsedly standing on a roof and breaking his arm.

I dunno, it just needed a bit more of a 'YEAHHH HE MADE IT', however cheesy it sounds.