Options

Repo Men

Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
Forum Member
✭✭
Repo Men - Jude Law and Forest Whittaker star as two 'repo men', who are paid to remove artificial organs from people who have defaulted on their payments for them.

It's set in a futuristic world where people can buy replacement organs and pay for them on instalments...but if they fall behind, the repo men will be despatched and literally rip the organs out of their body.

It's very brutal and gory stuff. The repo men carry a veritable arsenal of futuristic weaponry, and there are some tense and exciting shootouts and chase sequences.

It also has a great look about it. Some great Blade Runner-esque cityscapes, with lower levels of poverty and people living 'under the radar'. In fact, a subplot involving black-market replacement organs forms quite a substantial part of the plot.

Things get interesting when Jude Law's character gets injured, and has to be fitted with a new heart...and then starts to fall behind with the payments...

Law is quite compelling, and Whittaker is his usual charismatic presence. Throw in Liev Schreiber as the oily and unscrupulous CEO of the organ replacement company, and it's a pretty strong cast.

The film seems to have garnered a bad reputation when opening in the US, and of course it's similarities to a famous Monty Python sketch about removing organs from people from the film The Meaning Of Life, seem to have given some people the impression this is some sort of comedy (In fact, Law and Whittaker are shown watching and laughing at that very same sketch on tv).

But it was far better than I expected. Plus the version I watched was a US region 1 unrated cut, which is apparently far gorier and violent than the theatrical cut. Not sure if that will be available in the UK.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    one film i never want to see again
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from Jude Law's mockney accent, the easily guessable ending and some ludicrous fight scenes, it was ok. A nice idea which went for the obvious a bit too often.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    I watched this but can't remember it completely, wasn't like half the film a dream or something.