Options

Jacks Hand? (question from USA)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 901
Forum Member
✭✭
Chatting with the rest of America now that they've finally seen this entire Doctor Who series and the current topic of discussion is who's vortex manipulator does River?

We're told he was a handsom time agent...we've seen 2 already and there's bound to be more out there somewhere so it surly don't have to be Jack...but most seem to think it is.

I think if it had been Jack there would have been another refrence to him, in some manner for us fans at least - as River don't know him as far as we know. I don't think his arm would grow back on its own, as he still ages even though he can't die. unless he's killed in the process (as he did blow up and come back) which I would guess he would have been, can't see him giving up his hand without a fight. lol. otherwise - he could get a new hand surgically no doubt.

depending on when in his timeline it was taken from him (don't remember if his VM worked for time hopping at the end of Torchwood...the bar he was in when DT came to say bye was our local time as Alonso from Titanic was there) they will have to explain what happened to his VM or he'll have to get another one, can't really go to the time agency and get a new one.

so! was wondering everyone's POV on all this to bring over to the poor American's who refuse to come to this board due to spoiler risks. lol

Was it Jack's?

Comments

• Options
    tallordertallorder Posts: 975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it probably was Jacks... perhaps he'll go through eternity losing body parts until only his face is left!

Why can't he regrow a hand? He came back from virtually nothing, just a few bits in Torchwood: Children of Earth. Perhaps he's just have to kill himself, or be killed (occupational hazard if you're Jack Harkness) and then come alive again with hand intact.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given that the vortex manipulator River bought was fully functional and Jack's was burnt out, I'd say no.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    Given that the vortex manipulator River bought was fully functional and Jack's was burnt out, I'd say no.

It seemed to work fine in the Torchwood mini series?
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Darley wrote: »
    It seemed to work fine in the Torchwood mini series?

No it didn't.. Hence him having to hitch a ride from earth rather than just zap where he wanted to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    No it didn't.. Hence him having to hitch a ride from earth rather than just zap where he wanted to.

Did he not use it to contact a cold fusion cruiser on the edge of the solar system?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tallorder wrote: »
    I think it probably was Jacks... perhaps he'll go through eternity losing body parts until only his face is left!

Why can't he regrow a hand? He came back from virtually nothing, just a few bits in Torchwood: Children of Earth. Perhaps he's just have to kill himself, or be killed (occupational hazard if you're Jack Harkness) and then come alive again with hand intact.

thats why I said he would probably have to have died...we've not seen him regrow anything while alive but have seen him come back from bits when dead. also - doubt he'd let someone cut off his hand without a fight.

thats what I was thinking....been to long since I watched CofE so wasnt sure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    I'm fairly certain the VM is meant to belong to Jack. Mention "Time Agent" to a Who fan and they'll immediately think of him; which other Time Agents have been in Who? Plus, the VM was acquired by River Song in the 52nd Century, so Jack may have got his back to full functionality by then! :)

We don't really know where the Who finale and Children of Earth fit together in the timeline. But yes, I think we're going to get mentions or hints about Jack in the lead up to Torchwood season 4 if he doesn't make an actual appearance in Who.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darley wrote: »
    Did he not use it to contact a cold fusion cruiser on the edge of the solar system?

He may have been able to use it as a communicator, but the actual time travel technology was disabled awhile back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    It wasn't entirely clear what Jack was using to transport at the end of CoE but Gwen had recovered whatever he used and somehow it had been fixed. I don't think it was a VM because he wouldn't have needed to jump a passing ship, as he could have gone anywhere in time and let's face it - Jack would have gone straight back in time and saved Ianto and Steven by changing events.
    So I think it was some sort of transport device rather than a VM. However, this doesn't mean that he couldn't get one from somewhere or that this wasn't set at another time. Remember Jack lost two years as a time agent and we're all waiting for Moff to decide what he was doing then.
    It could also have belonged to any time agent. We don't know how many there were. When we meet Captin John there are only 7 but who knows. It could also have belonged to John Hart but his arm wouldn't grow back.
    I suspect, as River was from the 51st century and that was mentioned, even though the date they used was, rather annoyingly for a historian, in the 52nd century, that she would know Jack. I'm longing for that meeting.
    So either Jack lost a hand before he was immortal and technology in the 51st century could rebuild him - think Luke Skywalker or he lost it after he'd left Eath and some one used it to travel through time to bring to the dealer and it was fixed - he would be wearing it and one assumes that not only the Doctor could fix them.
    Sorry I've rambled. I'll shut up now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    can't see why it has to be jack. surely the time agency is full of handsome men and women. dw may not have seen another time agent but the agency has been introduced to the series!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tumpy wrote: »
    It wasn't entirely clear what Jack was using to transport at the end of CoE but Gwen had recovered whatever he used and somehow it had been fixed. I don't think it was a VM because he wouldn't have needed to jump a passing ship, as he could have gone anywhere in time and let's face it - Jack would have gone straight back in time and saved Ianto and Steven by changing events.

It was definitely Jack's VM that had been recovered from the wreckage of the Hub. Jack was able to use it to travel in space, but the Doctor had disabled the time capability.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maffmoose wrote: »
    can't see why it has to be jack. surely the time agency is full of handsome men and women. dw may not have seen another time agent but the agency has been introduced to the series!

Because the Moff is teasing us.... ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Belinda wrote: »
    It was definitely Jack's VM that had been recovered from the wreckage of the Hub. Jack was able to use it to travel in space, but the Doctor had disabled the time capability.

Now I'm going to have to check. I agree it could be as you say but without the time travel capability.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maffmoose wrote: »

The Time Agency was referenced as far back as The Talons of Weng Chiang, when Greel believed the Doctor and Leela were time agents. I suspect there were quite a few of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Time Agency was referenced as far back as The Talons of Weng Chiang, when Greel believed the Doctor and Leela were time agents. I suspect there were quite a few of them.

Thats interesting - I didn't know that. Are there any other references? Far too many years since I've seen the Talons of Weng Chiang - that's the rats isn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats interesting - I didn't know that. Are there any other references? Far too many years since I've seen the Talons of Weng Chiang - that's the rats isn't it?

Please. We try not to mention the rat...:o

It was the first and only mention of the Time Agency in the classic series (and yes, they were based in the 51st Century there, too) but they later cropped up in at least one of the Virgin novels. The Shadow of Weng Chiang, IIRC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Now I'm going to have to check. I agree it could be as you say but without the time travel capability.

If you look at the final scene (on the hillside) in Day 5, you'll clearly see that it's the VM when Jack presses a button to contact the Cold Fusion Cruiser. There's a really clear close-up of the VM :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

But I believe Jack has been the only Time Agent to appear in Who. So it's certainly likely and not at all unreasonable that Moff was referencing him in that scene. Especially as it begins to set the scene for the new series of Torchwood, just a gentle prod of the memory... Jack's coming back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But I believe Jack has been the only Time Agent to appear in Who. So it's certainly likely and not at all unreasonable that Moff was referencing him in that scene. Especially as it begins to set the scene for the new series of Torchwood, just a gentle prod of the memory... Jack's coming back.

He isn't the only Time Agent we've ever seen, though. It could as easily have been John Hart from Torchwood.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He isn't the only Time Agent we've ever seen, though. It could as easily have been John Hart from Torchwood.

But John Hart has never been in Who. So the viewers who watch Who but not Torchwood wouldn't know who John Hart is. They all, however, know who Captain Jack Harkness is :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you look at the final scene (on the hillside) in Day 5, you'll clearly see that it's the VM when Jack presses a button to contact the Cold Fusion Cruiser. There's a really clear close-up of the VM :)

And here's the evidence now I've checked

http://disparue.org/gallery/3/tw/3/day5/index.php?page=19

3rd row - 2 pictures
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Better on 9th row, images 3 and 4 :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Better on 9th row, images 3 and 4 :)

They don't link independently so that's why I put the page.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They don't link independently so that's why I put the page.

I know they don't link, I had to edit my post :o Same page as yours, further down, has Jack actually pressing the button on the VM to send the signal: 9th row :)
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But John Hart has never been in Who. So the viewers who watch Who but not Torchwood wouldn't know who John Hart is. They all, however, know who Captain Jack Harkness is :)

But they know he was a member of a Time Agency which means more than 1 Agent.

Note the word Was, the Jack we've seen in DW is no longer a Time Agent so unless Jack joins the Time Agency a 2nd time when he lives through to the 51st/52nd Century again which given how he feels about them is unlikely then he can't have been the Time Agent who had his hand cut off after (probably) being killed.

On a seperate matter I wonder if The Silence could be the remaining 6 Time Agents (possibly 5, John Hart said there was only 7 of them left after the Agency was disbanded but he may have been including Jack).

I suggested a while back that a couple of rogue Time Agents would make good recurring Villians and given how "The Silence" has some ability to mess about with Time and control the TARDIS It's possible they may well have been Time Agents.

Good excuse to bring Jack back into DW as he has to help the Doctor fight his former colleagues.