Options

How to make a fussy cat eat?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
Forum Member
My cat appears to be a bit of a fuss pants when it comes to eating. I've had her for over a year, but she seems to be getting a lot worse lately.

She generally only tends to eat fishy flavoured food and occasionally chicken/poultry flavoured. Beef etc is a no-no, as is anything in gravy. I've tried everything from generic Whiskas/Felix to the more exotic Felix Sensations, As Good As It Looks, Whiskas Simply & Oh So Fishy, even Sheba and the only ones she seems to go for are those with real meat/fish in them. Which also happen to be the most expensive, costing me almost a tenner for 2 boxes of 12. The only food she always seems to eat are her Go-Cat biscuits. Oh and the chicken leftovers and ham bits from our meals :rolleyes:

Any advice? I don't particularly want to start buying her real chicken, tuna, ham etc and just giving her that as she's only young and i see that kind of food as a treat, not something she should have for every meal.

Or should i throw in the towel with the wet food and just feed her dry stuff? I've never had a cat this fussy before!

Comments

• Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meloncholy wrote: »
    My cat appears to be a bit of a fuss pants when it comes to eating. I've had her for over a year, but she seems to be getting a lot worse lately.

She generally only tends to eat fishy flavoured food and

Sure, let her have as much tuna as she can catch herself.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meloncholy wrote: »
    Or should i throw in the towel with the wet food and just feed her dry stuff? I've never had a cat this fussy before!

If she's healthy with no kidney problems, go for the dry stuff (best brand you can get, James Welbeloved is excellent), and don't beat yourself up - no cat ever voluntarily starved to death! My Maine Coone rarely eats meat - he started on kibble as a kitten, and he's now quite convinced that this is what cats are supposed to eat! Use the dry stuff as a base, and maybe vary it with some fish- or poultry-based food. I give my outdoor cats half a sachet of "wet" food twice a day and the rest of the time, they have a bowl of kibble there when they want it.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could try mixing a little tuna oil into a cheaper food or one of ours used to go mad for cheese and a little grated over her meal would get her to eat anything.

We used to go round supermarkets when they have reductions and used to get any fish they had reduced too, mixed into a normal food used to get her eating.
  • Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    Definitely don't feed her chicken, ham, tuna as her main diet. It will be lacking in vital nutrients - she needs a 'complete' cat food.

IMO the answer is not to keep chopping and changing and constantly trying to tempt her with different food. At the moment she knows if she doesn't eat one thing, another one will be along soon, and too much choice will just encourage her to be fussy. Stick to one type of (good quality)wet food and one type of dry.

My vet recommends a diet of no more than 50% dry food. Too much dry food can be implicated in the cat developing urinary tract problems, and also to becoming overweight and developing diabetes.

Go Cat is very palatable - the McDonalds of the cat food world - but not good quality and I agree with susie I would change to a brand like Royal Canin or James Wellbeloved.
  • Options
    miss_zeldamiss_zelda Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No no no. Do not pander to the cat. Stick to one food and stop switching. Cats are fussy buggers but they're not stupid enough to starve themselves. Our cat can be really fussy and turn her nose up at her evening plate of Whiskas but if she doesn't eat it she goes hungry. Simple as.

I basically back up what Lippincote said! Sound advice which makes for a happy cat. Contrary to popular belief cats needn't be the centre of the universe and have their every whim met by their human slaves, there is room for discipline.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just put down some food, and leave it till it eats it....

if it goes off and hard, replace it with the same kind of food ....

Sounds like if your cat was any sharper it would cut its bloody self :p
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am intently following this thread. Our 8 year old Siamese is like this. She is a pain in the arse. She walks away from food - they have biscuits in the morning for quickness and sachets for tea. If you put biscuits in your hand and wait on her she will eat but otherwise she turns up her nose and walks off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your cat likes cat nip leaves you can sprinkle a bit of this over the food it might start her eating better. Also try feeding your cat in a different dish. Some dont like plastic or ceramics. You could even try a bigger dish. Mine can be akward sometimes and refuse to eat so i do give in too them. I wouldnt feed too much tuna or prawns as it can be bad for them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Mine can be like this (especially the girl). I've found that it's possible to fool them. The only brand they will eat is Felix As Good As it Looks. Whiskas gets vomiting reactions and Sheba a quick lick of the jelly and the scratching around to get rid of it (does anyone else's cat do the tidy-up routine?).

Anyway, down to one brand, the girl is quite fussy as to which flavours. Like the poster above, beef is a no-no, as is lamb. Now finding out turkey and chicken aren't favoured as much anymore either.

So, this is how I fool them if I don't give in to their protests. They sniff, lick, turn their nose up and walk away. Then cry for food. I first ignore them and then if they persist I pick up their bowls, get a sachet out of the cupboard and go through the motions as if I'm forking out the contents and mashing it up. I then put down their bowls and lo and behold, they gobble it up. I haven't the faintest reason why they won't eat it the first time except that they have me wrapped around their little finger and are trying it on until I give in and give them a treat. The funny thing is is that if I feed them and then go out, on the odd occasion I've come back in because I've forgotten something, they're happily gobbling up the food.

I really think they are just like children and if they don't like beans on toast they will cry until they get burgers and chips so to speak. Perhaps the odd treat of chicken they get doesn't help matters. :rolleyes:

They're funny little things (part Siamese also).

Though importantly, the other thing I've noticed is that my little girl likes to eat far away from her brother as he tends to gobble up first and then loiter, staring at her until she gives up and walks away. I make sure their bowls are out of view of one another.

Edit: Oh and wrt to dry food, I haven't fed them this for a long time (the reasons for which I've gone into in other threads) but I know if she could, the little girl would eat only crunchies and would eat and eat and eat. She became a real little porker when she was young so she was completely weaned off them. But I know if I gave her a bowl now she would turn her nose up completely at the wet food.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,333
    Forum Member
    Don't LET her be fussy! Leave food down for her, as soon as she's hungry enough, she'll eat it, trust me. Mine have always had big bags of general go-cat/whiskas biscuits no problems and I have never let mine be princesses with food, just show her who's boss! x
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She'll eat when she's hungry.
    My brother and his wife have a fussy cat, and Lorraine panders to his fussiness, buying all manner of expensive foods and treats. John hates this.
    Lorraine recently went on holiday with a friend, leaving John at home with the fussy cat.
    John decided he wasn't going to be dictated to by an animal, so he fed the cat on the 'normal' cat food that he won't normally eat.
    After a day-and-a-half, the cat stops whingeing and wolfs down the food. The cat now eats normal food regularly.
    Remember, give a cat an inch and it will take a mile. A few years ago we fell for the same thing. We took in a semi-stray cat, who was in poor condition. At first he ate anything, but over the years he manipulated us (by using the same tricks as your cat) into buying better and better food until he was eating only M&S thinly sliced roast turkey, John West red salmon and all the rest. Don't fall for it. Ordinary Whiskas cat food is very balanced and full of vitamins and trace elements that a cat needs.
  • Options
    dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Late sisters puss *Lucy* is driving me mad at the mo....she was always on *Oh so simply* fish one.........Ok she was eating really well, she now wont eat it......Ive have given her other foods etc turn her nose up.....Mind you I did *give in* (oh gawd) and cooked her a bit of fish and mixed it with her normal stuff..........*rod for me own back* :mad: She cannot eat bloody fish all the time.........its a treat.....At the mo I cant stand the crying........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww little girl is sittng next to me howling and and trying to get on me lap............:(
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have an infallible method to get my fussy cat to eat what's put down. If he doesn't go for the "pouch du jour" straight away, I put down just one Whiskas treat (the ones in the little cat's head shaped boxes) in front of his bowl. That seems to trigger his taste buds and he dives in.

I don't know if that's spoiling him, but it works!
  • Options
    seosamhseosamh Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I do is whenever I buy steak mince for myself (partial to a bit of chili con carne) I buy maybe a pounds extra for my cat and if your cat does not love raw mince (mine goes crazy for it!) there must be something wrong with him. Now whenever he hears plastic paper rusting he comes running expecting a feed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yesterday I gave one of my other cats some Sheba ocean fish he ate most of it, Lucy came in the kitchen and went to the bowl and scoffed what was left, I thought to myself *ahh great* I gave her some and she gobbled it down, later in the evening I put some more down and she turned her bloody nose up at it! . I give up...:mad:This morning put some down with her biccies I think she done one lick then walked back out.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emzie21 wrote: »
    Don't LET her be fussy! Leave food down for her, as soon as she's hungry enough, she'll eat it, trust me. Mine have always had big bags of general go-cat/whiskas biscuits no problems and I have never let mine be princesses with food, just show her who's boss! x

Yep 100%
  • Options
    WeeblesWobbleWeeblesWobble Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cats will eat anything when they are desperate. My mate left his cat alone for a week and it was eating dried pasta haha.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is he still your mate?
  • Options
    widgerwidger Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cats will eat anything if they are starving but like humans, they may have a preference for one or two different flavours or types of food, plus they do get bored with eating the same flavours each week. It's good to vary your cats diet from time to time but don't think that the more expensive food is the best. My cat loves the tescos own food and turns her nose up and the posh stuff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    My cat is fussy and he doesn't miss a trick... i just have to remember to buy the ones he likes.