Options

Well Done to Matt - 5th best selling X Factor Winner's Single ever!

EejitEejit Posts: 4,253
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I turned out to be a little bit optimistic in my estimates (I guessed 450k), but still, he comfortably outsold Leon Jackson and Steve Brookstein. :) Though Joe beat him last year.

1. Shayne Ward – 742,180
2. Alexandra Burke – 576,046
3. Leona Lewis – 571,253
4. Joe McElderry – 450,838
5. Matt Cardle – 439,007
6. Leon Jackson – 275,742
7. Steve Brookstein – 127,370

Syco will be looking at the sales with interest, no doubt. ;)

(To be fair to the early contestants like Steve Brookstein, Shayne, Leona, and Leon, single sales are now massively higher generally than when they won, so they're disadvantaged a bit compared to the more recent winners)

Comments

• Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would seem that turd was actually the word.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And here's a nice message from the Official Charts Company too (much more credible than your posts! :))
    Official Charts Company managing director Martin Talbot says, "Congratulations to Matt Cardle on scoring this year's Christmas Number One. To sell 439,000 copies of When We Collide in just six days is a truly impressive achievement. Besides being a record for a non-charity single this year, it might even have been higher given the freezing conditions which have gripped the UK in the past couple of days and which have kept many consumers off the high streets. It is certain to sell even more over the next week, in the final days leading up to Christmas."

Syco are happy, Matt is happy. Nothing to see here. :D
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I'm actually surprised the figures are so poor in comparison with previous winners. :eek:
  • Options
    xKatieLxxKatieLx Posts: 4,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair it's hardly an accurate reflection of how well he'll do in the future. Shayne is above Leona and Alexandra who have had way more success than him. Not to mention the weather conditions and it's virtually sold out everywhere I try to buy it - still haven't got it despite looking in many shops. Lots of people will buy it this week like myself for an Xmas present for family and friends.
  • Options
    WeeblesWobbleWeeblesWobble Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only reason Joe sold that many was the hype surrounding the chart race.
  • Options
    colnechriscolnechris Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Shayne Ward – 742,180

Who is this person?
  • Options
    billiesmithbilliesmith Posts: 11,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xKatieLx wrote: »
    To be fair it's hardly an accurate reflection of how well he'll do in the future. Shayne is above Leona and Alexandra who have had way more success than him. Not to mention the weather conditions and it's virtually sold out everywhere I try to buy it - still haven't got it despite looking in many shops. Lots of people will buy it this week like myself for an Xmas present for family and friends.

Weather conditions played its part last year too

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2009/12/19/x-factor-fears-bad-weather-may-hit-joe-mcelderry-s-christmas-no1-bid-115875-21907951/
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I missing something?

Is coming 5th something to be congratulated?:confused:

I could understand someone congratulating Matt on winning XF, or getting to number 1 in the charts, but not this.
  • Options
    EejitEejit Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xKatieLx wrote: »
    Shayne did very well with his initial records – it's only now he's flopping, so the single was pretty reflective of enthusiasm at the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually surprised the figures are so poor in comparison with previous winners. :eek:

I actually don't think you are at all, you little tinker. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I missing something?

I could understand someone congratulating Matt on winning XF, or getting to number 1 in the charts, but not this.

The poster is trying to be funny and sarcastic, when really they don't pull it off very well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I missing something?

It's what's known in the trade as a backhanded compliment.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomi-08 wrote: »
    The poster is trying to be funny and sarcastic, when really they don't pull it off very well.

Oh, right, thankyou.;)

I thought something was amiss, but I wasn't 100% sure if that was the case.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Is coming 5th something to be congratulated?

I don't think it is, tbh. Selling slightly more than Brookstein and Leon is hardly the greatest accolade one could garner in the music world.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shayne is wiping the floor with them:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, to sell around 10k less than Joe is a achievement considering Joe had a massive campaign but Matt had three so support would have been thread so there was nothing to be worried about. Not to mention the weather conditions.
  • Options
    batman.batman. Posts: 8,906
    Forum Member
    Oh dear, that's not very good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it wasn't for the snow, Matt would have sold 27.5 million copies. And that is just in Norfolk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batman. wrote: »
    Oh dear, that's not very good.

Why isn't it good?

First week sales are hardly an indicator of how successful they are going to be... :confused:

For example, look at Shayne. Enough said. Case closed.
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member
    Am I missing something?

They are simply trying to attack Matt in any way they can. Done very desperately, but also in a subtle way so that they can mask just how powerless they feel in their attempts to sour his victory and success. ;)
  • Options
    billiesmithbilliesmith Posts: 11,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, to sell around 10k less than Joe is a achievement considering Joe had a massive campaign but Matt had three so support would have been thread so there was nothing to be worried about. Not to mention the weather conditions.

Maybe every time some one mentions the weather conditions I should post this ;)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2009/12/19/x-factor-fears-bad-weather-may-hit-joe-mcelderry-s-christmas-no1-bid-115875-21907951/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can you congratulate someone for coming 5th?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    The fact that his single was not actually in a lot of shops due to the weather made his sales a lot less and of course illegal downloading.

No one will ever pass out Shayne - he was in the times with no(very little?) downloads.
    I do believe that more people have copies of Leona, Alexandra, Joe and Matt's winners singles - you know, illegally.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eduble wrote: »
    How can you congratulate someone for coming 5th?

The OP is obviously being sarcastic .. and baiing as usual :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member

Interesting link :)