Options

Missing episode discovery rumours

Comments

• Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Charles Daniels of GallifreyBase (well known for missing episodes info, rumours etc), on his information and view of things.
    It's essentially what I was able to piece together from different comments in personal conversations with a variety of interesting people.

Some of them are currently working in the British entertainment industry; not big names per se but people who seem to me to be well placed, and the routes their information came from would be highly easy to guess - aka they work with people who have a high likelihood of knowing more than you or I do.

Another was a totally innocent, off hand comment from a rights holder who owns extensive interests in 1960s/70s British television properties, but isn't really ACTIVE in any real way, and seems divorced from the rumour mill and from any influence of the organized fan community.

Added to all of the above is when I have hinted about these individuals before, I have gotten angry / panicked / or damage limitation e-mails directed at me from extremely interesting people indeed. For instance, when someone rather close to this situation discovered who I'd been talking to, and what this person had told me, they directly contacted me and begged me not to present any of the information to Ian Levine.

This was helpful in that it clarified the situation deeply for me

1) The damage limitation e-mail which was sent to me essentially proved to me that my source DID know something.
    I had gotten some good information from that source.

2) The damage limitation e-mail also told me that my source didn't know everything and didn't have the complete picture.
    And the e-mail actually tried to define areas or boundaries where my source was uninformed. Which, GREAT!, indirectly told me that there must be things which they DID know.

3) The damage limitation e-mail warned me to back off as there was likely to be a highly disappointing time ahead
    (this e-mail was sent pre-Enemy/Web reveal, and I have lived in hope that the "disappointment" was simply the long delay of material, not that the material didn't exist)

4) The damage limitation e-mail very clearly spelled out that they didn't want Ian Levine to become aware of the identities of those who had genuine information.

The author of the damage limitation e-mail gave me a lot of information, probably unintentionally. And really a wiser strategy would have been a stronger debunk or under mining of my source; or to just shut up and not contact me at all.

So, I was left to assume that

1) it wasn't possible to debunk or undermine my source in any credible way

2) And the RISK of not contacting me at all was seen as far too great, weighed against the POSSIBILITY that I might communicate this information to Ian Levine

Essentially they felt it was better to dissuade me and pray that their persuasion worked, than to merely sit back and do nothing.

So, again, WHY WOULD YOU BOTHER IF THE INFORMATION WAS BUNK!?

If the information was bunk, you'd not reply to me begging me not to pass it on to such and such an individual.

Anyway, that's just my analysis of the situation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also, for those who know of GB, are members, or anyone curious enough about the moderators of the missing episodes forum...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n9K9A0tI-U

best downfall video I have seen xD

Also, all the rules in that video are quote for quote from GB. Well, except the stuff past "everyone without beards will be banned for life" ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Comforting Mark Gatiss was very nice of him, but Philip Morriss has left a little tease in there too.
    @Markgatiss sorry to hear of your sad loss
    Kindest wishes to your family at this time

@archives1963 Thank you. Hope you're well and thriving.

@Markgatiss Thoughts and prayers are with you Mark.everything on course on the road ahead
  • Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Comforting Mark Gatiss was very nice of him, but Philip Morriss has left a little tease in there too.

Eh? You're not seriously suggesting that PM has put a coded reference to missing episodes into a message of condolence?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    "Eh? You're not seriously suggesting that PM has put a coded reference to missing episodes into a message of condolence?"

People are allowed to talk about other subjects to the recently bereaved. It looks strongly as though that's the suggestion in Morris' tweet. It's done very tactfully.

Only Philip Morris himself will know for sure what it means. However, we all know that Gatiss is a massive fan and that welcome news on the missing episodes would be something that may offer a small note of cheer to him at a difficult time.

We shouldn't treat bereaved people like lepers or monomaniacs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyway, Gatiss asked how Morriss was doing, and that was his response ;)
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This whole debacle just gets more pitiful with every passing day.
  • Options
    bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charles Daniels of GallifreyBase (well known for missing episodes info, rumours etc), on his information and view of things.

Are you allowed to post that? GallifreyBase is a private forum
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bp2 wrote: »
    The problem is that any other way to pass on that information would have meant substantially rephrasing Charles's post. Which leads to exactly the sort of Chinese Whispers which have made the Missing Episodes saga so frustrating.

The bottom line is that information posted on forums such as GB can't possibly remain confidential in any meaningful sense.
  • Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are allowed to talk about other subjects to the recently bereaved. It looks strongly as though that's the suggestion in Morris' tweet. It's done very tactfully..

If that is what Morris is doing then it's not tactful, it's maladroit in the extreme.
    We shouldn't treat bereaved people like lepers or monomaniacs.

Something of a non sequitur, but sure, by all means, words to live by. But an interesting invocation of the concept of monomania given what is being discussed here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    given the Gatiss wished him well, if this is what Morris was suggesting then its perfectly fine. It him saying that as Gatiss enquired, all is going well and according to schedule. Gatiss asked, he got an answer.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member

Long-winded blether, unsubstantiated as usual - it says nothing new. I can't quite see what the point he is trying to make is, unsubstantiated or not. It's the sort of rambling stuff people who are drunk or cracked post.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is that any other way to pass on that information would have meant substantially rephrasing Charles's post. Which leads to exactly the sort of Chinese Whispers which have made the Missing Episodes saga so frustrating.

The bottom line is that information posted on forums such as GB can't possibly remain confidential in any meaningful sense.

Yeah, I did laugh at the fact that anything of consequence said on the omnirumour uberfan board retcontinuum.net was apparently leaked to Eddie @ Outpost Skaro, despite the fact there were only about 20 members, and the management were seemingly trying to avoid it happening.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    Also, for those who know of GB, are members, or anyone curious enough about the moderators of the missing episodes forum...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n9K9A0tI-U

best downfall video I have seen xD

Also, all the rules in that video are quote for quote from GB. Well, except the stuff past "everyone without beards will be banned for life" ;)

LOL - "I can't even walk down the street without everybody calling me a power-crazed, jumped-up tit."

He's probably "only obeying orders".
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member

What a ridiculous conclusion for someone to jump to!

I've heard that David Cameron is really plotting for Romanians to take over the country. Someone from his office contacted me and told me not to go around saying that to people - so it must be true!
  • Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a572821/frank-skinner-on-doctor-who-role-ive-gone-deep-into-bad-dad-territory.html#~oF03fkQkHGNFPF

What's odd about this story is Frank says he feels bad as he is missing his sons second birthday due to filming yet also says he missed his first steps as he was at a screening of Remembrance of the Daleks.

Now why the hell would anyone want to go to a screening of Remembrance of the Daleks within the past year? It's been on DVD for God knows how long, and VHS well before that. Is this him going to the Power viewing and then thinking "shit I shouldn't be saying that" and changing Power to Remembrance?
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    Now why the hell would anyone want to go to a screening of Remembrance of the Daleks within the past year?

Because it was on at the BFI as part of their 50-year celebrations?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    Because it was on at the BFI as part of their 50-year celebrations?

Was it? Damn another theory ruined!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bp2 wrote: »

What they going to do about it? NOTHING!

So what if its a private forum they dont own every message thats posted there. Even legally they could do bugger all.

I suppose theres not a chance now of anything coming out now the new series has been announced.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What they going to do about it? NOTHING!

So what if its a private forum they dont own every message thats posted there. Even legally they could do bugger all.

I suppose theres not a chance now of anything coming out now the new series has been announced.
    Well, the last finds were revealed and released just a month before The Day of the Doctor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the last finds were revealed and released just a month before The Day of the Doctor.

Wasent that before Day was being publically advertised?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasent that before Day was being publically advertised?
    No, the #savetheday stings started on BBC One in late September.
  • Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,105
    Forum Member
    I don't agree with the whole "They won't want to take attention from the New Series" theory. An announcement of missing episodes wouldn't stop people from watching the new series, if anything it's just extra publicity. I don't think the timing of any future announcements will have any relation as to what Calpadi is up to this week. But as time goes on it's becoming pretty clear that the Web/Enemy release was a gift for us on the shows 50th anniversary and I suspect had it been any other year we probably wouldn't have got those episodes until later on, perhaps as part of a much larger announcement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rooks wrote: »
    I don't agree with the whole "They won't want to take attention from the New Series" theory. An announcement of missing episodes wouldn't stop people from watching the new series, if anything it's just extra publicity. I don't think the timing of any future announcements will have any relation as to what Calpadi is up to this week. But as time goes on it's becoming pretty clear that the Web/Enemy release was a gift for us on the shows 50th anniversary and I suspect had it been any other year we probably wouldn't have got those episodes until later on, perhaps as part of a much larger announcement.

Indeed.

I'd say only 45-50% of Nu Who viewers also watch the older stuff religiously whilst 98% of classic Who viewers also watch the new episodes. They would want publicity for the classic stuff and the best time for that is during the showing of and/or build up to new episodes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you heard the forums lately? The stuff they are talking about is just vile.

This guy hartnell fan said that there was constant worrying from fans about Morris being a hoarder & alot of older people worried about dying before they get to see certain episodes.

This guy hartnell fan spoke to at the BBC said fans ranting was the problem & then he had the gall to say maybe it be best if those fans did die as then it would shut them up & we would be having no worry from the bbc side about leaks.

I know exactly which vocal fans hes on about people like Levine & saying fans are just me me me.

To actually wishing fans die was just distasteful.