Options

Missing episode discovery rumours

Comments

• Options
    Dr jake youngDr jake young Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if anyone else here visits DWTV, but although i like the site, the people in the comments really grate me. http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/poll-a-female-doctor-68765.htm

It seems like anyone who isn't in favor of a black or female doctor is branded a far right wing sexist/racist. I once posted a comment saying it isn't sexist to want him to stay a man, and it was deleted and my account shut down! And all the people who originally supported me with this opinion have mysteriously had their accounts deleted as well. If i didn't know better, then I'd say the site moderators are extremely biased and are even stooping to Nazi type levels of trying to social proof people ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_proof ) into being a super biased left winger when it comes to Dr who.

I know this is all very off topic (there's nothing else to talk about) but this is very annoying, especially when you go to every other site on the web and they are all saying very similar things to us.

There was a poll last year for a female doctor on that site too, and 90% were in not in favor off it. I wouldn't be surprised if the polls were fixed to make it look like the majority were in favor, as like i said, it social proofs people into thinking that is the normal thing to think.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vopiscus wrote: »
    You are Terrance Dicks, and I claim my five pounds.

[It's only after watching and listening to Dicks in the extras on the DVDs that I've come to realise just how important and defining his contribution to the programme is. If only it were possible to have him back again!]

Spot on. I argue that Terrance Dicks is the single most important person to have ever been involved with Doctor Who.
    Without his contributions to on screen Who I doubt the show would still be on telly today. I mean, amongst so many other things, he invented the flipping Time Lords!
    And his novelisations are not only hugely responsible for many of the writers working on 21st century Doctor Who, but contributed significantly to the literacy of a whole generation.
    And, dammit, he's a bloody nice bloke too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if anyone else here visits DWTV, but although i like the site, the people in the comments really grate me. http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/poll-a-female-doctor-68765.htm

It seems like anyone who isn't in favor of a black or female doctor is branded a far right wing sexist/racist. I once posted a comment saying it isn't sexist to want him to stay a man, and it was deleted and my account shut down! And all the people who originally supported me with this opinion have mysteriously had their accounts deleted as well. If i didn't know better, then I'd say the site moderators are extremely biased and are even stooping to Nazi type levels of trying to social proof people ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_proof ) into being a super biased left winger when it comes to Dr who.

I know this is all very off topic (there's nothing else to talk about) but this is very annoying, especially when you go to every other site on the web and they are all saying very similar things to us.

There was a poll last year for a female doctor on that site too, and 90% were in not in favor off it. I wouldn't be surprised if the polls were fixed to make it look like the majority were in favor, as like i said, it social proofs people into thinking that is the normal thing to think.

Oh, what a surprise, all the comments against a female doctor have been deleted, and mysteriously the ones supporting it have all of a sudden got loads of likes.
  • Options
    Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    Spot on. I argue that Terrance Dicks is the single most important person to have ever been involved with Doctor Who.
    Without his contributions to on screen Who I doubt the show would still be on telly today. I mean, amongst so many other things, he invented the flipping Time Lords!
    And his novelisations are not only hugely responsible for many of the writers working on 21st century Doctor Who, but contributed significantly to the literacy of a whole generation.
    And, dammit, he's a bloody nice bloke too.

I love Terrance Dicks too:). I was so enthralled by the Target novelisations he wrote at a time when repeats on TV were few and far between. I'm ashamed to admit I did once 'borrow' a copy of Robots of Death from my library and never took it back :blush:
    He does seem like a genuinely nice man who has a sense of humour but never allowed the Doctor to become a parody.

I did start an appreciation thread earlier this year so spread the love
    adams66!

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1986668&highlight=terrance+dicks+appreciation
  • Options
    Steven_PSteven_P Posts: 12,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been a fan since I was a kid. I even like Time and the Rani! I've stayed with it during the dark years of the 90's (although the New Adventures for the most part were excellent) but this last series left me cold in a way the series has never done before. I agree with experimenting and not being scared to break certain rules.
    Very few people I know enjoyed last year and I've spoken to the full range for big fans to the casual viewer.

I do think Moffat needs to go now, he's done some great things but his story telling is not clever, it doesn't make sense. What with repeating the same ideas over and over and pushing things too far I've fast losing interest, which after nearly 30 years is an achivement. I've not even bothered to watch the trailers for the Christmas Special, not by design but just as I'm not really interested in it.

Shame as Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi are great Doctors (Matt Smith had some great scripts but the standard was dropping and for PC he mostly had bad scripts and the whole concept for his Doctor was not working)

Even the idea of Father Christmas being in it I think is just stupid. I'll wait to be proved wrong of course, but I'm no holding my breath.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steven_P wrote: »
    I've been a fan since I was a kid. I even like Time and the Rani! I've stayed with it during the dark years of the 90's (although the New Adventures for the most part were excellent) but this last series left me cold in a way the series has never done before. I agree with experimenting and not being scared to break certain rules.
    Very few people I know enjoyed last year and I've spoken to the full range for big fans to the casual viewer.

I do think Moffat needs to go now, he's done some great things but his story telling is not clever, it doesn't make sense. What with repeating the same ideas over and over and pushing things too far I've fast losing interest, which after nearly 30 years is an achivement. I've not even bothered to watch the trailers for the Christmas Special, not by design but just as I'm not really interested in it.

Shame as Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi are great Doctors (Matt Smith had some great scripts but the standard was dropping and for PC he mostly had bad scripts and the whole concept for his Doctor was not working)

Even the idea of Father Christmas being in it I think is just stupid. I'll wait to be proved wrong of course, but I'm no holding my breath.

Whats your opinion on timelords changing gender like the r or master? I think it's a terrible idea.
  • Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vopiscus wrote: »
    You are Terrance Dicks, and I claim my five pounds.

[It's only after watching and listening to Dicks in the extras on the DVDs that I've come to realise just how important and defining his contribution to the programme is. If only it were possible to have him back again!]

I've never understood the hate for Uncle Terry. He is truly understands everything Doctor Who should be, perfectly balancing science, history and entertainment. Sure his stories are never in depth, but the show is aimed at children and he deliveres perfectly, time and time again.
  • Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,102
    Forum Member
    cat666 wrote: »
    I've never understood the hate for Uncle Terry. He is truly understands everything Doctor Who should be, perfectly balancing science, history and entertainment. Sure his stories are never in depth, but the show is aimed at children and he deliveres perfectly, time and time again.

Because, alas, since the new series it's fashionable to bash elements of the original series (particularly true during the early part of the RTD era) in an attempt to prove the worthiness of the new series. Both RTD and Moffat have churned out some terrible scripts in their time, far worse (in my opinion) than anything Dicks ever did. In fact, "Robot" is probably the only weak story he ever wrote for the series (again in my opinion). The guy is responsible (or part responsible) for The Time Lords, Rassilon, Unit, The Master, Sea Devils, Silurians, Robert Holmes involvement in the series and, of course, The Raston Warrior Robot :) The show would be unrecognisable without his contribution.

And he never once (to my knowledge) tried to resolve a story by wishing someone back into existence (hello there Danny Pink). :)
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never understood the hate for Uncle Terry.

Anyone who hates Uncle Terrance ought to keep their opinions firmly buttoned within my earshot. How can anyone lack respect for this amazing man?

Rooks wrote: »
    And he never once (to my knowledge) tried to resolve a story by wishing someone back into existence (hello there Danny Pink). :)

Did this really happen?!?! I stopped watching Doctor Who with effect from Listen, and was startled to read
    the Brigadier rose from the dead; the Master was a woman; Danny Pink became a Cyberman
    so I spose nothing should shock me.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is there actually any hate for Mr Dicks? I've never come across any, he always seems very popular with everyone - and quite right too. The guy's a genius, and a lovely chap.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did this really happen?!?! I stopped watching Doctor Who with effect from Listen, and was startled to read
    the Brigadier rose from the dead; the Master was a woman; Danny Pink became a Cyberman
    so I spose nothing should shock me.

Yes; Danny Pink had killed a kid in Iraq or Afghanistan and the kid was resurrected at the end in a scene that made no attempt at making sense. It was signposted to the point it was obvious it was going to happen though, presumably to take the sting out of it for the uberfans.

No one is allowed to diss Missy though, she was great. :D
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    Rooks wrote: »
    Because, alas, since the new series it's fashionable to bash elements of the original series (particularly true during the early part of the RTD era) in an attempt to prove the worthiness of the new series. Both RTD and Moffat have churned out some terrible scripts in their time, far worse (in my opinion) than anything Dicks ever did. In fact, "Robot" is probably the only weak story he ever wrote for the series (again in my opinion). The guy is responsible (or part responsible) for The Time Lords, Rassilon, Unit, The Master, Sea Devils, Silurians, Robert Holmes involvement in the series and, of course, The Raston Warrior Robot :) The show would be unrecognisable without his contribution.

BIB: But that's not happened. Not to Danny Pink. Not yet anyway ;-) (And, no I don't want any spoilers for Last Christmas please. Thanks!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Yes; Danny Pink had killed a kid in Iraq or Afghanistan and the kid was resurrected at the end in a scene that made no attempt at making sense. It was signposted to the point it was obvious it was going to happen though, presumably to take the sting out of it for the uberfans.

No one is allowed to diss Missy though, she was great. :D

She is a great actor i will give her that, however the fact that she had to be the master has pi*sed me and alot of classic fans off. I mean, would it really be Susan if they got a black guy to play her?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    She is a great actor i will give her that, however the fact that she had to be the master has pi*sed me and alot of classic fans off. I mean, would it really be Susan if they got a black guy to play her?

At the risk of being spoilery (albeit in a non-Who-related way), I'd recommend avoiding the film "What Dreams May Come". You'd probably hate it.
  • Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    Is there actually any hate for Mr Dicks? I've never come across any, he always seems very popular with everyone - and quite right too. The guy's a genius, and a lovely chap.

Apparantly so. Check out the pagefillers reviews for The Eight Doctors.

People think his stories are too simple and that he often tries to hard to fill continuity gaps. Personally I love his stories, and his continuity gap filling makes sense, unlike Gary Russell.
  • Options
    gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see hate - just some people not liking a book and The Eight Doctors is hardly his best work. Even some who criticise mention that they find it difficult to be critical given their regard for his earlier work.

I think the last Companion Chronicle he did for Big Finish was one of the worst things BF have ever released but that doesn't mean I hate him.
  • Options
    AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling, an intuition if you like, we are going to see a new discovery next year...posssibly Marco Polo?

Anything to get this board back on track...:)
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Airborae wrote: »
    I have a feeling, an intuition if you like, we are going to see a new discovery next year...posssibly Marco Polo?

The Massacre is mentioned in this month's DWM. If only ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ProfMarius wrote: »
    At the risk of being spoilery (albeit in a non-Who-related way), I'd recommend avoiding the film "What Dreams May Come". You'd probably hate it.

Just out of interest, I've read the plot, but what might i'd hate about it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    Just out of interest, I've read the plot, but what might i'd hate about it?

Partway through the story, one of the main characters is unexpectedly represented as an adult black male.
  • Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,102
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    BIB: But that's not happened. Not to Danny Pink. Not yet anyway ;-) (And, no I don't want any spoilers for Last Christmas please. Thanks!).

It's sort of happened twice this series (and the universe was rebooted by wishing it back in the earlier "Big Bang" episode). But in this series it's happened in the Forest of the Night and then again in the final episode of the 8th series. The whole thing reminds me of Ron Moores famous criticisms of Star Trek Voyager where he said that one of the worst things a show can do is to not respect the audience. I get the feeling that Doctor Who is increasingly becoming like that, any old ending will do as long as it makes the audience laugh or cry.
    Airborae wrote:
    Anything to get this board back on track...

There's nowt happening in the world of missing episodes right now so hopefully people won't mind the thread going off topic here and there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Partway through the story, one of the main characters is unexpectedly represented as an adult black male.

Just as long as it was not done out of political correctness i don't mind. The only reason i would hate that happening in dr who is that she is an established character. Changing gender and race makes it so that the original character is almost completely unrecognizable .
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Airborae wrote: »

We've been discussing that for years.

Knowing our luck, all the episodes that do still remain and that's the one probably gone for good :D

I really would love to see it though. I enjoy Hartnell's performances, hearing him on DMP he is amazing.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    The "Crusades" would be the series I would like to have back.
  • Options
    AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    The "Crusades" would be the series I would like to have back.

Douglas Camfield always said that was the best scripts he was given to direct. Hopefully a better copy of Episode 1 is out there.