Options

Open University:Health and Social Care Degree advice

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
Forum Member
Hi,

I am just writing to see if anyone could offer me any advice regarding the open university and their health and social care degree.
I am due to begin their module (k101:introduction to health and social care) in february, and then will hopefully progress to other modules and complete the full degree requirements within three years.

I just wanted to see if anyone had done a degree in health and social care in the open university, or at any other in institution? If so,how did you find it, was it worth while and enjoyable? Also, what career opportunities did you manage to find after you graduated, or that you hope to find once you graduate?

In general, how did you find the open university? I will still be working full-time whilst I study, so I just want to get an idea of whether doing a course this way is manageable.

Sorry , if I have asked too many questions!

Thanks in advice for any advice. :)

Comments

• Options
    oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am doing a degree with OU, not health though. I would say that to complete in three years and still work full time might be a bit optimistic. A 60 point course is around 16 hours a week work and you would have to do 120 at a time to complete in three years so it would be almost full time study as well as full time work. People do do it though it depends how much you want to put in.I have just done 2 30 point courses while working 20 hours a week and I'm not sure I would like to do more, but then again I am quite lazy and I like my Playstation a little too much!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    I am just starting with the 60 credit module to see how I get on initially and if I like it. I have atleast two days off work a week, so I suppose I could use them days to do the 16 hour study you mentioned. I already have a degree that I did at a actual university campus, so I'm used to time management and independent learning etc. I'm just abit nervous about beginning with open uni, as I expect it to be quite different from my last experience of uni interms of study support. Have you ever been to any of the tutorials that they hold for each subject? My nearest one is Manchester, so I don't think I will ever be able to attend a tutorial.How was the two modules you did in your subject choice? Did you find that you got enough support from your tutors?
  • Options
    oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't go to any of the tutorials and I didn't really have a lot of contact with my tutors either, although when I did have to ask them a question they were very helpful and quick to reply. I did do another course before that where the tutor was absolutely shocking though, she took weeks to mark assignments and reply to emails and even posted a message on the forum to say she was going to mark them at the weekend but she was going on holiday instead and would do it after!! The OU did acknowledge it though and said that when grading the course it would be taken into consideration that we had no help from the tutor.
    The way the courses are set out makes it easy to keep on schedule and you send assignments off throughout the course at set times so you can keep track how well you are doing. I would say the courses are definitely worth doing, and I think that bad tutor was an exception, all my others have been helpful and very quick at marking assignments. Even if you only complete one course and not the whole degree you have still got something out of it, so definitley try it. I think it is a good idea to go with the one 60 point course to start with so it's not overwhelming and you don't get put off.