Options

China's Yulin festival...did anyone know this existed?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadLadAsh wrote: »
    Thank you for this post and proving it's not just me making this up! as some people seem to think.

You are welcome. :)

It was as one of the most horrific programmes that I have ever seen but I cannot for the life of me remember the exact title.

Animal Cruelty is animal cruelty - no matter which culture or race practices it.

There is just no excuse in the 21st century for such barbaric sadism.
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was as one of the most horrific programmes that I have ever seen but I cannot for the life of me remember the exact title.

Animal Cruelty is animal cruelty - no matter which culture or race practices it.

There is just no excuse in the 21st century for such barbaric sadism.

Agreed!. The stuff I've seen will stay with me for life :(
  • Options
    Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    And neither does China. Saying they do us rather like viewing a video of animal abuse in the UK and claiming it's typical of us or hearing of a video of an Amerucan microwaving a cat and responding what do you expect of Americans.

I'm not being rude but the bib is a ridiculous comparison.

If one vile human being microwaved a cat in America I would not think all Americans did things like that...that's ludicrous! There have been the odd case of things like that in this country too.

I am not condemning the whole chinese population...I'm condemning the ones who take part in the barbaric torture of animals.

Just as I would condemn people of any nationalty who were doing the same.
  • Options
    Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member

There is just no excuse in the 21st century for such barbaric sadism

Exactly!!

And I really do struggle to understand how any human being(regardless of nationality) could actually inflict such pain and suffering on another living creature.:(>:(
  • Options
    MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what's wrong with DS at the moment, first I read people defending a pedophile simple because it's a woman and the boys were 13 and now people are claiming animal cruelty of the type were discussing here either does not exist or is ok because it is "cultural". or and I forgot this one blaming a police man wearing a wristband for that Choudray ***** actions. I don't know what you've all had on your cornflakes this morning but it's bonkers!!
  • Options
    Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicola32 wrote: »
    I don't understand why some people come on to a thread and don't give their opinion on the actual topic of the thread. Instead all they want to do is divert from what the thread is about! :(

You always get the people who spout the same old "You only care about cats and dogs being mistreated because they are cute and fluffy" and "What about farm animals" etc etc.

Just because I find the treatment of these cats and dogs abhorrent and upsetting doesn't mean I don't find mistreatment of ALL living creatures just as abhorrent and upsetting.

There was an article a while ago where someone secretly filmed the mistreatment of pigs in a slaughterhouse, the pigs were hit, thrown against walls and actually burned with cigarettes by some of the morons working there!>:( And that took place in this country!! I was just as horrified and upset about the mistreatment of those pigs as I am about the mistreatment of these cats and dogs.

I hate ALL animal cruelty, not just cruelty towards the "cute and fluffy" ones!

Once again, this thread is about the Yulin festival and the animals involved in this are cats and dogs. If any other animal were involved in this barbaric ritual I would be just as angered and upset by it.

And I would just like to point out once again as some people are just debating the eating of cats and dogs... this is not about the eating of the animals...it's about the CRUELTY towards them...and I really can't understand anyone who is not bothered by that.:(

Quite, Nicola

I have been utterly horrified and appalled by this and have signed every petition and letter going to try and get it stopped. Other than going voer there myself (which I would have done had I had a valid passport; it ran out 14 years ago), I don't know what else I can do. I feel so utterly helpless.

I have a cat (I have had cats for over 25 years) and we have a lot of dogs where I live as well. Besides, i am also a long-time vegetarian (who doesn't eat eggs and am trying to find an alternative to milk as I know only too well what goes on in both industries). I am a member of umptees animal advocate charities and conservation organisations and have eben for many, many years. I don't buy anything made of leather now and all of my household goods are cruelty-free (apart from my polish, a cruelty-free version of which i am still trying to source).

It seems that there are those who don't really care about the fact that these poor innocents are being tortured alive for some kind of sick 'sport' and are instead more focused on a tit for tat argument about what goes on in other meat industries in the West and elsewhere.

Make a thread about those industires and I will contribute, giving examples of what goes on, how sheep and cows and pigs are packed into small crates, starved, treated abominably and then slaughtered etc. I will share stories about what happens to the male chicks who are born on battery farms and even on some farms who are supposed to have 'happy hens'. I will quote from stories about how calves are taken from their mothers, who grieve for them as they are stolen and killed for their own meat, whilst keeping the mothers in milk to give to us.

But THIS thread is about the abomination which is the Yulin festival. There is no excuse, none, whatsoever, regardless of what goes on elsewhere (the cruelty that we British people can show to our own animals; the dog fighting, horse racing, greyhound racing, etc etc etc etc). These aappalling people must be stopped from inflicting such utter degredation and cruelty on cats and dogs.

Personally, I would do to them what they think is so right to inflict on their victims. That would be tit for tat. And they would understand the absolute agony and terror that these poor innocent animals suffer at their hands.

I applaud all those who are trying to stop this, who prevented a truck load of cats and dogs from reaching the festival, who rescued countless animals... they are the real heroes.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite, Nicola

I have been utterly horrified and appalled by this and have signed every petition and letter going to try and get it stopped. Other than going voer there myself (which I would have done had I had a valid passport; it ran out 14 years ago), I don't know what else I can do. I feel so utterly helpless.

I have a cat (I have had cats for over 25 years) and we have a lot of dogs where I live as well. Besides, i am also a long-time vegetarian (who doesn't eat eggs and am trying to find an alternative to milk as I know only too well what goes on in both industries). I am a member of umptees animal advocate charities and conservation organisations and have eben for many, many years. I don't buy anything made of leather now and all of my household goods are cruelty-free (apart from my polish, a cruelty-free version of which i am still trying to source).

It seems that there are those who don't really care about the fact that these poor innocents are being tortured alive for some kind of sick 'sport' and are instead more focused on a tit for tat argument about what goes on in other meat industries in the West and elsewhere.

Make a thread about those industires and I will contribute, giving examples of what goes on, how sheep and cows and pigs are packed into small crates, starved, treated abominably and then slaughtered etc. I will share stories about what happens to the male chicks who are born on battery farms and even on some farms who are supposed to have 'happy hens'. I will quote from stories about how calves are taken from their mothers, who grieve for them as they are stolen and killed for their own meat, whilst keeping the mothers in milk to give to us.

But THIS thread is about the abomination which is the Yulin festival. There is no excuse, none, whatsoever, regardless of what goes on elsewhere (the cruelty that we British people can show to our own animals; the dog fighting, horse racing, greyhound racing, etc etc etc etc). These aappalling people must be stopped from inflicting such utter degredation and cruelty on cats and dogs.

Personally, I would do to them what they think is so right to inflict on their victims. That would be tit for tat. And they would understand the absolute agony and terror that these poor innocent animals suffer at their hands.

I applaud all those who are trying to stop this, who prevented a truck load of cats and dogs from reaching the festival, who rescued countless animals... they are the real heroes.

An excellent post.

The 'Cultural difference' excuse is used by some people to justify absolutely anything.

Well not by me, this is the 21st century.

Savagery is savagery.
  • Options
    wychwych Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe you should have a look at this (warning it's sick) before knocking this country over lobsters and going on about cultural intolerance, it seems anything goes from eating live donkey to live monkey brains.

http://www.china-underground.com/magazine/7-animals-eaten-alive-in-china-graphic-content

I repeat, what you see here is both sick and graphic!

(to any normal person that is)

The photograph of the live monkey's brains being eaten is a still shot taken from the 1978 horror film "Faces of Death". Obviously, & fortunately, it was all faked. You can see a video clip on Youtube of the relevant scene. The diners eating the monkey's brains all appear to be (white) Westerners. (Of course, they're actors.)

As I pointed out in my earlier post (#48), the "Chinese eat live monkey's brains" story is an urban myth.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Contrast all this with Nepal's festival which honours dogs.

https://www.facebook.com/rickygervais/posts/351669294957430
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I love this! If only everybody treated dogs like this :(
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ricky and Judi dench are doing great work in fighting the dog meat trade.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another petition below this time with regards to China wanting to host the 2019 World Dog Show. They shouldn't be allowed to do so unless they stop the Yulin festival.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/206/893/746/?z00m=27150770&redirectID=1881469387
  • Options
    Amelia FieldAmelia Field Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Really disgusting! Hope our joint effort can save those puppies.
  • Options
    LabhaoiseNiMhaoLabhaoiseNiMhao Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed.
  • Options
    LabhaoiseNiMhaoLabhaoiseNiMhao Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

https://www.facebook.com/rickygervai...51669294957430]

Wow they sent those dogs to Hawaii! :D