Parents rank the best and worst celebrity role models for kids

enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
Forum Member
✭✭✭
..THE BAD FEMALE INFLUENCES 1. Miley Cyrus - 78%2. Nicki Minaj - 54%3. Kim Kardashian - 43%4. Kristen Stewart - 36%5. Rihanna - 34%
...THE BAD MALE INFLUENCES 1. Kanye West - 56%2. Justin Bieber - 55%3. Zayn Malik - 41%4. Shia LaBeouf - 38%5. Joey Essex - 25% ..
.THE GOOD FEMALE INFLUENCES 1. Kate Middleton - 34%2. Michelle Keegan - 32%3. Taylor Swift - 27%4. Beyoncé - 23%5. Angelina Jolie - 22% ...
THE GOOD MALE INFLUENCES 1. Ed Sheeran - 41%2. Harry Styles - 26%3. Lewis Hamilton – 20%4. James Corden - 17%5. Justin Timberlake - 14%
from the daily mail website - any you would add or remove from the lists.

Comments

• wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate Middleton, why? I'd need to see a list of her achievements first, and bagging a rich, well connected husband does not count as an achievement!
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daily Mail's laughable at times. If they placed them celebrities there themselves, the odd one or two shouldn't be where they're at.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a load of old rubbish.

You shouldn't need public figures to be role models for your kids...Kate Middleton, Beyonce, Angelina Jolie...how the hell are they considered role models:D

The DM gets worse by the day.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is the not job of a celebrity to be a role model for kids. Anybody who is an actor, musician, sports star etc is doing it for themselves and their private lives are their own business. I realised at a young age that you can admire someone's work without admiring what they get up to in their spare time. I do find it worrying when young people look up to reality 'stars' like the awful Kardashians and think that this is something to aspire to.

You can only lead one life and that's your own..
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate Middleton, why? I'd need to see a list of her achievements first, and bagging a rich, well connected husband does not count as an achievement!

Have to say I agree. I've nothing against Kate but she's a well educated girl who hasn't even had a proper job (other than marrying into the Royal family).
  • viva.espanaviva.espana Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member
    enudzio wrote: »
    .THE GOOD FEMALE INFLUENCES 1. Kate Middleton - 34%2. Michelle Keegan - 32%3. Taylor Swift - 27%4. Beyoncé - 23%5. Angelina Jolie - 22% ...

While I hate this 'celeb role model' thing with a passion, I'm really happy to see 'walk the walk' Angelina Jolie on there.

Deep eyeroll at Kate Middleton being seen as a good female influence... ^_^

The only 'Kate' that comes to mind as totally deserving of 'good female influence' status is the indomitable and wholly admirable Katie Piper.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I hate this 'celeb role model' thing with a passion, I'm really happy to see 'walk the walk' Angelina Jolie on there.

Deep eyeroll at Kate Middleton being seen as a good female influence... ^_^

The only 'Kate' that comes to mind as totally deserving of 'good female influence' status is the indomitable and wholly admirable Katie Piper.

What does that allude to viva e:confused:

I agree about Katie Piper...my what a truly gorgeous inspirational woman she is.:)
    Forum Member
    What does that allude to viva e:confused:

I agree about Katie Piper...my what a truly gorgeous inspirational woman she is.:)

That she has followed a solid, hands-on, totally committed (personal and financial) path of war-displaced refugee support, with the emphasis solidly on the welfare of women and children, since 2000.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That she has followed a solid, hands-on, totally committed (personal and financial) path of war-displaced refugee support, with the emphasis solidly on the welfare of women and children, since 2000.

Oh wow, that's very commendable. I genuinely didn't know that.

I tended to think of her as, how can I put this, an unorthodox kind of gal, Billy Bob and the blood vials, apparently snogging her brother at the Oscars and the alleged romance with the still married Brad.

Thanks for educating me.:) Cool woman.
    Forum Member
    Oh wow, that's very commendable. I genuinely didn't know that.

I tended to think of her as, how can I put this, an unorthodox kind of gal, Billy Bob and the blood vials, apparently snogging her brother at the Oscars and the alleged romance with the still married Brad.

Thanks for educating me.:) Cool woman.

Scarlett, just one link (there are numerous I could link to) to qualify my opinion of her commitment. This one is significant as it comes from those at the coalface -

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/07/03/if-you-thought-angelina-jolie-s-charity-work-was-a-vanity-project-these-aid-worker-accounts-will-change-your-mind-3355095
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    78% for Miley being a bad influence?
    On the surface she seems a bit out of control but I actually enjoy her personality and she has a sense of humour about it all. I think she's done pretty well considering she's a child star. So 78% feels pretty steep.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle Keegan seems completely random........
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    78% for Miley being a bad influence?
    On the surface she seems a bit out of control but I actually enjoy her personality and she has a sense of humour about it all. I think she's done pretty well considering she's a child star. So 78% feels pretty steep.

I think she needs to post less pics on her social media feed of her surrounded by bongs and spliffs and generally looking like an anorexic junkie.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Michelle Keegan seems completely random........

I honestly have no idea why she's popular other than magazine/tabloid hype.

And Kate Middleton? The ultimate empty vessel. Though it makes sense that the Daily Mail are promoting a woman who's only claim to fame is being a wife as a role model.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Kate Middleton does not exist now..................just saying
  • TanzieTanzie Posts: 6,452
    Forum Member
    Any parent who uses a celebrity as a role model for their children needs their bumps feeling.
    The male "good" role models are as baffling as the females.
    Harry Styles, Lewis Hamilton, James Corden and Justin Timberlake.
    Harry Styles?? A good role model? Harry Styles?
    Perhaps they mean a different Harry Styles that I haven't heard of, and not the tattooed berk from Wand Erection.
    :confused:
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    Kate Middleton does not exist now..................just saying

Her name's Kate but her surname has changed. I suspect you mean her official title is.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Michelle Keegan :D
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zayn Malik - 41%

There's still a lot of bitter OD fans out there I guess! :D
  • David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is kristen stewart a bad role model? Is it because she's not a sheep and parents are scared their kids will have original thoughts instead of doing whatever they are told to do. And how is michelle keegan a good role model? She mostly gets attention for having big boobs and being with a moron from towie.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This list is absolutely laughable. A complete joke.

Would Stephen hawking count as a celebrity ? I guess if Kate Middleton can be, he Can.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David_Hill wrote: »
    How is kristen stewart a bad role model? Is it because she's not a sheep and parents are scared their kids will have original thoughts instead of doing whatever they are told to do. And how is michelle keegan a good role model? She mostly gets attention for having big boobs and being with a moron from towie.

Didn't Stewart have an affair with a married producer?
  • Badabing1966Badabing1966 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enudzio wrote: »
    ..THE BAD FEMALE INFLUENCES 1. Miley Cyrus - 78%2. Nicki Minaj - 54%3. Kim Kardashian - 43%4. Kristen Stewart - 36%5. Rihanna - 34%
    ...THE BAD MALE INFLUENCES 1. Kanye West - 56%2. Justin Bieber - 55%3. Zayn Malik - 41%4. Shia LaBeouf - 38%5. Joey Essex - 25% ..
    THE GOOD MALE INFLUENCES 1. Ed Sheeran - 41%2. Harry Styles - 26%3. Lewis Hamilton – 20%4. James Corden - 17%5. Justin Timberlake - 14%
    from the daily mail website - any you would add or remove from the lists.

Can't stand Beyonce, I don't think a lot of the public realise she is a massive wearer of exotic furs and animal skins, were is being a role model in that?. At least Angelina Jolie gives a third of all what she earns to UNICEF, so at least she puts her money where her mouth is.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    I agree about Katie Piper...my what a truly gorgeous inspirational woman she is.

Inspirational, perhaps. But some might say the circumstances surrounding the attack on her detract from any perception of her as a 'role model'.

She's an example of how young girls' love of a badboy can often lead to more than just exciting conversation. Obviously, hers is an extreme case, but the point is I doubt many parents want their daughters to copy Katie Piper's life, however inspiring what she's done with her life since her disfigurement may be to anyone (young, old, male or female).

Wanting your daughter to turn out like Kate Middleton or Taylor Swift is perfectly understandable, as is not wanting your son to turn out like Joey Essex or Ian Beale.
    I don't think a lot of the public realise she is a massive wearer of exotic furs and animal skins, were is being a role model in that?

Not everyone cares about fur. Some people absolutely adore it though you don't. I suspect Daily Mail readers are more likely than Guardian readers to appreciate fur, its warmth and grandeur.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inspirational, perhaps. But some might say the circumstances surrounding the attack on her detract from any perception of her as a 'role model'.

She's an example of how young girls' love of a badboy can often lead to more than just exciting conversation. Obviously, hers is an extreme case, but the point is I doubt many parents want their daughters to copy Katie Piper's life, however inspiring what she's done with her life since her disfigurement may be to anyone (young, old, male or female)..

Katie is amazing and she deserves every success.

However ............... she met this Danny whatsit bloke on Facebook, had known him only 2 weeks (not sure if the 2 weeks were including Facebook chats) and went off to a hotel room with him.

This is NOT victim blaming. It means though that you need to have your wits about you and not go off with random people you don't know well enough.