Forum Member
✭✭✭
This thread is a continuation of:

North American Sports Network (Part 2)

Comments

• Katia PolletinKatia Polletin Posts: 4,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Due to name change, this can be the continuation thread.

:D:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    North American Sports Network is now ESPN America. Don't worry, all your favorite North American sports action is right where it's always been. Make sure you tune itn and check out the new look and enjoy the great sports action on ESPN America, still and always your place for North American sports in Europe and the Middle East.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    espnamerica.com/portal now active

no news on schedule or sports rights (NBA, NFL) actually, nor Sportscenter yet

regarding HD, FAQs still say "ESPN America are currently working on the idea of developing a HD feed, please check the website for any updates"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HD will be one of the least development's. Sky's new lower priced box probably will hasten HD the time ESPN/Setanta etc decide to launch HD, still very much a Sky Product and to be fair I don't see where the money is for it, unless ESPN/Disney put money into a fund for it. Sure most programmes can likely be obtained, but its another channel on the Sky EPG and more Satellite Space, to show the same games in high defination. Maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part as my postition does not change on the issue off Content vs HD
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After a few teething problems ESPN America was smooth sailing during HNIC for the most part. And since when have they aired After Hours before?

I love ESPN America and already could not go back to NASN. The new ESPN Brand is excellent. But one change I really love is the channels ident, after the commercials prior to re-joining the live feed. The music is mininal, the graphics are not annoying, rather creative and in theme with the Sport that is airing. For someone that puts in anything up to 70 Hours viewing a week on ESPN this makes the whole experience far more pleasureable .

It had annoyed me for the past 4 years, the rotating channel logos and the music that was loud and repetitive. With the NASN music changing a month ago Iexpected a rotating ESPN America Logo with the NASN music. Great surprise to see all the change.

Bottomline still there but is now managed so no given away results before you watch the game. And to be honest I am so engrossed into the games I don't notice bottomline half the time plus having NBA results etc is handy. Still I prefer to have it appear every now and again, but still it ain't all bad.

Now if only ESPN could have prevented a Soul Crushing defeat for the Vancouver Canucks.........
  • packerbullypackerbully Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's to many thousands of posts .

P|S - Whilst bottom line does not give the results out, please remember to not give away previous nights results - I had not watched the Hockey from last night yet!
  • stevendale123stevendale123 Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After a few teething problems ESPN America was smooth sailing during HNIC for the most part. And since when have they aired After Hours before?

I love ESPN America and already could not go back to NASN. The new ESPN Brand is excellent. But one change I really love is the channels ident, after the commercials prior to re-joining the live feed. The music is mininal, the graphics are not annoying, rather creative and in theme with the Sport that is airing. For someone that puts in anything up to 70 Hours viewing a week on ESPN this makes the whole experience far more pleasureable .

It had annoyed me for the past 4 years, the rotating channel logos and the music that was loud and repetitive. With the NASN music changing a month ago Iexpected a rotating ESPN America Logo with the NASN music. Great surprise to see all the change.

Bottomline still there but is now managed so no given away results before you watch the game. And to be honest I am so engrossed into the games I don't notice bottomline half the time plus having NBA results etc is handy. Still I prefer to have it appear every now and again, but still it ain't all bad.

Now if only ESPN could have prevented a Soul Crushing defeat for the Vancouver Canucks.........

Could not agree more. The only thing I hate so far is that NHL advert about icing, hooking, checking trying to be funny when its just plain silly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most games I download in HD are 720 as 1080 takes to long to encode and longer to download. I get Winter classic in 1080 and the finals :D:D

Depends on your connection and number of people with the programme if not directly downloading, HD can take a while to download.

However as for encoding, if you have a HD TV and HDMI / HD out on your PC you can play them straight away in HD on your TV.
  • stevendale123stevendale123 Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends on your connection and number of people with the programme if not directly downloading, HD can take a while to download.

However as for encoding, if you have a HD TV and HDMI / HD out on your PC you can play them straight away in HD on your TV.

Someone to cap the game in 720 then encode in a smaller size then upload it, will normally be around 1.5GB to 3GB depending on hardware used to cap and codecs, resolution and bitrate.

Takes sometime even on a private site. I person that used to do 1080i changed to 720p as it was taking over 2/3 days till someone downloaded it. 720 plus 60FPS is the best way to watch hockey.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah thats right it changes name today?

Does this mean we will get NBA back? or is it still just NHL baseball and college ball?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New name and logos and stings...same old same old shows and sports i'm afraid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dazzy D wrote: »
    New name and logos and stings...same old same old shows and sports i'm afraid.

Damn... I don't like the fastbreak programme they show at all, it would be better if they had a match of the day type programme, except for NBA.
  • ElMarkoElMarko Posts: 5,224
    Forum Member
    Wait, they showed After Hours? In full? When did they sign off the HNIC broadcast?

I have no idea when it's scheduled to end in Canada, but I know that After Hours they replay the games don't they?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    ElMarko wrote: »
    Wait, they showed After Hours? In full? When did they sign off the HNIC broadcast?

I have no idea when it's scheduled to end in Canada, but I know that After Hours they replay the games don't they?

After hours was shown for around 15 mins and cut to 'On the Fly' in the middle of the Canucks Coach post match press conference.

To be honest I don't think it was intentially shown, probably the guy in the Dublin office fell asleep!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To those that

What additional sports other than NBA could they show ?- although we know NBA are rather strange with their rights - Germany still have none at all.

NFL rights are still in disussion...

So what do you expect?

Are there any other ESPN shows they could show that do not involve NFL rights?

I think their shows and sports are great - just can not understand when others say no new sports or shows are being shown... it baffles me.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to a thread on the Sky HD forum on this site someone claims ESPN America is going HD very soon.

They have been asked a few times (including by me - as you will see if you check the thread) to name their source. As yet no response. So I am not overly optomistic.

But they also claim that the channel is leaving the Setanta pack at the end of the current agreement and starting in HD via Sky before then.

Anyone got any real source for that news being true?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    What additional sports other than NBA could they show ?- although we know NBA are rather strange with their rights - Germany still have none at all.
    in UK, NBA on ESPNA is not just an option, it's a must

Five coverage is really poor, one game per week, often not live, never the best game available, never a delayed daytime game, no increasing coverage in playoff time (except the finals), and at the end of the season tey're going to drop completely american sports rights

NBA was not on Five on exclusive basis so you had to expect NASN/ESPNA to get NBA for the current season but that did not happen, a shame thinking that ESPN International owns and manages international tv rights

Germany: Premiere has huge financial difficulties so they had to drop NBA, no other broadcaster meant to make any offer to NBA, so no coverage, that's all

Italy: Sky has a high quality coverage, 4 games per week (the top clashes) plus All Star WE and the Finals, but the fta channel Sportitalia, a dwarf in the italian tv landscape, shows one live game per night (replayed the next afternoon) plus the live sunday night game (european primetime), so I guess NBA rights are ot too expensive and not too hard to get

so ESPN America, just get these rights
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danit wrote: »
    Five coverage is really poor, one game per week, often not live, never the best game available, never a delayed daytime game, no increasing coverage in playoff time (except the finals), and at the end of the season tey're going to drop completely american sports rights

No they aren't - they are just dropping the live studio programmes.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just flicked over to discover it was on Freeview this evening (so the Bruins/Habs was duley Sky+'d) but the picture quality of the Caps/Sens was awful, I'm presuming that its the feed from Rogers' that's bad?

And still not going to sub until I can ESPNA on its own. I'm not paying extra for channels I don't want.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    No they aren't - they are
    just dropping the live studio programmes.

Thats not confirmed yet either they may drop the games following the current season
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danit wrote: »
    in UK, NBA on ESPNA is not just an option, it's a must

NBA was not on Five on exclusive basis so you had to expect NASN/ESPNA to get NBA for the current season but that did not happen, a shame thinking that ESPN International owns and manages international tv rights

Germany: Premiere has huge financial difficulties so they had to drop NBA, no other broadcaster meant to make any offer to NBA, so no coverage, that's all

Italy: Sky has a high quality coverage, 4 games per week (the top clashes) plus All Star WE and the Finals, but the fta channel Sportitalia, a dwarf in the italian tv landscape, shows one live game per night (replayed the next afternoon) plus the live sunday night game (european primetime), so I guess NBA rights are ot too expensive and not too hard to get

so ESPN America, just get these rights

I agree NBA on ESPN is needed - I, however, do not want it at the expense of their College Basketball coverage (which many prefer to NBA) - so show it from April onwards only... unless an ESPN America 2 is launched!
  • DelennDelenn Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crikey, they closed the NASN thread off quickly.

I just wanted to say that I am a bit sad at the demise of NASN, and I wanted to thank those involved, particularly in the early days, for changing what sport I watch. In particular, I never watched Nascar before NASN, and had heard of College Football, but thought it to be a low quality product. Since then, I have been to both Daytona and Dover speedways, and Ohio Stadium and Husky Stadium in Seattle. All 4 experiences were fantastic, especially being a Brit walking round a cook-out - so much free food and beer.

We got to see NFL Primetime before it was destroyed by NFL incompetance, and College Gameday, which is still going strong. I got to hate Jay Mariotti, to love Keith Jackson, to understand why Miami fans thought Saban was the devil. I grew to love Bill Elliott, to hate Jeff Gordon, to loathe Bill Weber and to meet Mike Joy.

So much enjoyment I got because of the perseverance of the original NASN team. In particular, I wanted to thank Amory Schwartz, whose idea NASN was because he missed College Basketball on TV. A thoroughly decent chap who phoned me twice over NASNs time, after I complained about various things. Imagine that - the boss of a TV channel going out of his way to ring a punter who complained.

I know in the last few years, NASN has had quite a bit of criticism, but we are so much better off for NASN having existed. I also have the original NASN music as my ringtone, so I hear it almost as much as during the adverts in a college football game.

Thanks for the memories NASN.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's to many thousands of posts .

P|S - Whilst bottom line does not give the results out, please remember to not give away previous nights results - I had not watched the Hockey from last night yet!

Hence Spoiler warning, though I still owe you an apologe.

Turn my :cry: into a :D with your forgiveness
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to a thread on the Sky HD forum on this site someone claims ESPN America is going HD very soon.

They have been asked a few times (including by me - as you will see if you check the thread) to name their source. As yet no response. So I am not overly optomistic.

But they also claim that the channel is leaving the Setanta pack at the end of the current agreement and starting in HD via Sky before then.

Anyone got any real source for that news being true?

Maybe HD is coming soon. Ican't see ESPN staying with Setanta but I am shocked that it may be bundled on a Sky Pack. Unless it becomes a standalone channel with Sky. Say £5 per month for Sky Sports Subscribers?
  • ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delenn wrote: »
    We got to see NFL Primetime before it was destroyed by NFL incompetance, and College Gameday, which is still going strong. I got to hate Jay Mariotti, to love Keith Jackson, to understand why Miami fans thought Saban was the devil. I grew to love Bill Elliott, to hate Jeff Gordon, to loathe Bill Weber and to meet Mike Joy.

Thanks for the memories NASN.

Couldn't have put it better my self! The start of NASN was great, very little ads and leaving the feeds at the stadium going when the US went to commercial breaks. I remember an NHL game and the two commentators going through what there were going to show when they came back after the break they were on. So thanks NASN, for live uninterrupted NASCAR, Daryl Waltrip, Mike Joy, Larry Mac. For the NFL shows, usually with Boomer in charge! For turning me on to DJ and the Hawk at Comcast, to Chip and Steve who were with the Cubs, and to Woody, the lovable buffoon, to Mary-otti the annoying yet sometimes charismatic buffoon! To LeBetard who I always shout at, and especially to Mike and Tony at PTI and the team there who very kindly used my photoshop mock up of Kornheiser with a Don King hairstyle on their set for almost 2 years! I still wear my NASN cap and fleece with pride, ESPNA you have a lot to live up to- good luck!
This discussion has been closed.