Weekend away with a baby advice

eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I bought tickets to the Harry Potter Studio Tour for my husband's birthday, and we've booked to go in March. We're driving down,as it's cheaper than getting the train to Watford, so we've decided to make a weekend of it.
Can anyone recommend any activities suitable for a family with a young baby? We're a bit unsure about going into London city centre, but we'd be happy to stop somewhere on the way down, even if it means taking a detour.
We're going from north Wales to London via Birmingham, so any recommendations for things to do would be appreciated. We like museums, sports, guided tours - but obviously we'll have a little baby with us, so fine dining or skiing is out!
So far all we can think of is Cadbury World.

Comments

• c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How old is young ? One year old or less ? Still using a push chair ?

London has got a lot of stuff. However if using a push chair then the underground can be a bit of a pain though we used a lightweight one that folds up easily and been London plenty of times, even just myself and the kids.
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    How old is young ? One year old or less ? Still using a push chair ?

London has got a lot of stuff. However if using a push chair then the underground can be a bit of a pain though we used a lightweight one that folds up easily and been London plenty of times, even just myself and the kids.

She'll be six months in March, and yes, will be in a pushchair. We could stay in Watford and get the train in, but husband isn't keen to try the underground. Having caught the tube with a big suitcase and really struggled,I'm not either.

Timing is not ideal, I'd prefer to wait until she's a bit older, but the tickets expire soon.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of our fave day trips is the Birmingham Sea Life Centre - if you have Tesco Clubcard vouchers you can trade them in for Sea Life vouchers making it a cheap day out. (There's a car park near by, and IIRC it's all pushchair friendly)
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cant be helpful as not in the UK but I wanted to pop in to say Hi and ask how your darling baby is and is she simply gorgeous :)
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you buy a sling or a wrap for the baby? Perfect to get around and the babies love them.
  • newyorkcitygirlnewyorkcitygirl Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't bother, you'll end up annoying everyone including yourselves.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sea life aquarium is awesome for kids, but the baby is too young to appreciate it. London has lots of amazing free museums which are perfect for kids: the V&A Museum of Childhood is my daughter's favourite. It's a museum of old toys and there are lots of toys to play with. Science and Natural History Museums are also excellent for kids, but 6 months is too young I think. At that age she will be happy playing with a paper cup in a cafe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    Sea life aquarium is awesome for kids, but the baby is too young to appreciate it. London has lots of amazing free museums which are perfect for kids: the V&A Museum of Childhood is my daughter's favourite. It's a museum of old toys and there are lots of toys to play with. Science and Natural History Museums are also excellent for kids, but 6 months is too young I think. At that age she will be happy playing with a paper cup in a cafe.

I would save going to London till they are two or three if you are going because of the children. However at 6 months old the baby isn't really going to appreciate much, might as well go to a park. However at that they are starting to get easier to travelling with and I would still consider going to London just because of the items that are available to adults. If OP is into museums, guided tours, sight seeing, etc then London can't be beat.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depending when in March, how about Legoland Windsor.

Or if you husband isn't keen on the Underground, why not get a train from Watford to Euston and walk to London Zoo about 30 minutes.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would save going to London till they are two or three if you are going because of the children. However at 6 months old the baby isn't really going to appreciate much, might as well go to a park. However at that they are starting to get easier to travelling with and I would still consider going to London just because of the items that are available to adults. If OP is into museums, guided tours, sight seeing, etc then London can't be beat.

I agree and I think I misunderstood the question slightly. If it's museums for adults, my absolutely favourite museum in London is the National Portrait Gallery.

If you are into modern art, then maybe Tate Modern, but be careful not to leave the pushchair standing around for too long or it might get confused with an art exhibit. ;)

Otherwise just walk around Trafalgar Square and then to Buckingham Palace and the Royal Parks. If the weather is nice it's ideal for for children and adults.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    I agree and I think I misunderstood the question slightly. If it's museums for adults, my absolutely favourite museum in London is the National Portrait Gallery.

If you are into modern art, then maybe Tate Modern, but be careful not to leave the pushchair standing around for too long or it might get confused with an art exhibit. ;)

Otherwise just walk around Trafalgar Square and then to Buckingham Palace and the Royal Parks. If the weather is nice it's ideal for for children and adults.

And again easily walkable without the need to use the underground.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    And again easily walkable without the need to use the underground.

indeed, add southbank from the eye down to tower bridge to the list. However you will need the underground to get there in the first place.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    Don't bother, you'll end up annoying everyone including yourselves.

Is it cold under your bridge this time of year?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indeed, add southbank from the eye down to tower bridge to the list. However you will need the underground to get there in the first place.

I don't know, depends how fit and active they want to be, if they come into Euston as an example, and walk to Trafalgar Sqaure, Big Ben, The Eye, The Globe, Tower Bridge, London Tower, St Pauls and back to Euston, at average walking speed a 3 and half hour walk, or take it slow and would equate to a nice day out, providing the weather is fine.

Then again I love walking around London whenever I go....oh just for the record I have done that before with my daughter who was also in a pushchair and made a good full day out also took in Buck Palace/St James, the only real difference I started from Kings Cross and that isn't even really that different.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know, depends how fit and active they want to be, if they come into Euston as an example, and walk to Trafalgar Sqaure, Big Ben, The Eye, The Globe, Tower Bridge, London Tower, St Pauls and back to Euston, at average walking speed a 3 and half hour walk, or take it slow and would equate to a nice day out, providing the weather is fine.

I would imagine OP would want to go and actually visit some of the attractions rather than just walk.
  • TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP stated that she has already bought tickets, so it's not reall helpful to suggest alternatives.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    One of our fave day trips is the Birmingham Sea Life Centre - if you have Tesco Clubcard vouchers you can trade them in for Sea Life vouchers making it a cheap day out. (There's a car park near by, and IIRC it's all pushchair friendly)

Thanks for the idea, but as it happens we live right by a Sealife centre and the OH's siblings have worked there for years, so no doubt when she's old enough to appreciate the touch pool, we'll get free tickets!
    vierte wrote: »
    Can you buy a sling or a wrap for the baby? Perfect to get around and the babies love them.

I've got a sling and while it's fine for walking around town, I think it would be difficult to carry her for the whole day.

We're really going as a mini-break for us, as we won't be going on holiday for the next few years. But we're new to this baby business and obviously we need to pick attractions which are child friendly.
    Depending when in March, how about Legoland Windsor.

Or if you husband isn't keen on the Underground, why not get a train from Watford to Euston and walk to London Zoo about 30 minutes.

Good idea! Haven't been to a zoo in years, and I'm sure little one will like seeing the different animals. We don't have pets, so even dogs are an oddity!

For some reason multi-quote has stopped working at this point, so bear with me...
    newyorkcitygirl - yes, this trip has the potential to become incredibly stressful unless we plan it carefully. Which is what I'm trying to do.

Xela, dearmrman and everybody else who suggested things - thank you very much. We've been to London several times before and have done Big Ben, the Globe, National Portrait Gallery etc, and we've been to Buckingham Palace (to a garden party - slight brag!:D), but perhaps if we could find some new sights a walking tour would work, as baby is perfectly content in the pushchair - as long as she's moving!

The original plan was to go down to London on a Sunday, do one activity, get an early night at a travelodge and then up and out early for the Harry Potter tour on the Monday morning. I'm wondering now whether it might be less stress just to focus on the studio tour. Husband is a huge HP fan and has been waiting to go on this tour for ages, and I don't want to jepordise that by having a hugely stressful time and an over-tired baby. But I will research the zoo and some other attractions we can walk around. Thanks again all. x

PS - ducky, will PM you about baby.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tellystar wrote: »
    The OP stated that she has already bought tickets, so it's not reall helpful to suggest alternatives.

Read what the OP has said, the suggestions are for additions to Harry Potter, as they want to make a weekend off it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As another thought, and London Zoo can be fitted into this as well if needed, but if it is a nice day, again starting from Euston.

You could walk up to Camden Town, and then follow Regents Canal down to Little Venice, it passes the Zoo if you wanted to visit, there is also a canal ride you could do as well from Camden to Little Venice but it is a limited service in the Winter...then just walk back to the station from Little Venice.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186338-d510136-Reviews-Regents_Canal-London_England.html

In fact you go even go via Kings Cross & hubby could get his photo taken at platform whatever it is (not a HP fan so don't know it of by heart) :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As another thought, and London Zoo can be fitted into this as well if needed, but if it is a nice day, again starting from Euston.

You could walk up to Camden Town, and then follow Regents Canal down to Little Venice, it passes the Zoo if you wanted to visit, there is also a canal ride you could do as well from Camden to Little Venice but it is a limited service in the Winter...then just walk back to the station from Little Venice.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186338-d510136-Reviews-Regents_Canal-London_England.html

In fact you go even go via Kings Cross & hubby could get his photo taken at platform whatever it is (not a HP fan so don't know it of by heart) :)

I LOVE Camden! What a great idea - thank you!