Options

Car serviced - now it's terrible

Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,882
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
I don't know if anybody can shed some light on this.

Today I had a scheduled 30k service & MOT on my car. (59 plate Suzuki Alto) I picked it up and drove off as they were closing up.

Anyway, when I accelerate from stand still I hear a grinding noise (like metal on metal) :confused: from the engine bay. This noise is also audible when I accelerate in 2nd gear. The engine also sounds very rough. I have looked in the engine bay and nothing seems amiss.

What could have happened to cause these problems? The car was faultless when I dropped it off and has never had these noises in the five years I've had it.

I am taking it straight back tomorrow, but would like to be armed with some questions for them. They are pretty good, so I am not worried that they will not sort it out. Just wondered what could cause such a noise and rough sounding engine (3 cylinder engines do not sound great at the best of times, but never like this)

Could it be they have messed up with the oil? Could it be some type of pulley/ tensioner or something that has been overtightened?

Thank you. :)

Comments

• Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the problem was the engine the noise would be there as you rev the engine with the car out of gear.
    If the problem is only on the road then I would suggest there is a problem at one of the wheels such as a backplate on the brakes touching the brake disc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    If the problem was the engine the noise would be there as you rev the engine with the car out of gear.
    If the problem is only on the road then I would suggest there is a problem at one of the wheels such as a backplate on the brakes touching the brake disc.

Thanks Waj. Yes there is no noise when I rev the engine. None at all. Only happens when I pull away.

They did have all the wheels off to check the brakes, so your suggestion could be what it is. Hope it's easily fixed.
  • Options
    GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Copper grease anyone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Copper grease? Assume to do with the brakes? No work was carried out on the brakes as they're still in good order.
  • Options
    electronelectron Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Waj. Yes there is no noise when I rev the engine. None at all. Only happens when I pull away.

They did have all the wheels off to check the brakes, so your suggestion could be what it is. Hope it's easily fixed.

Maybe wheel nuts not tightened up correctly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    electron wrote: »
    Maybe wheel nuts not tightened up correctly

Thanks electron. That is something I can check myself. I shall try to tighten them and see if the noise disappears.

I have driven over 60 motorway miles since I picked it up as well. :o
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and just in case, take the dip stick out, when it's cold, wipe it, put it back in and check the oil level.

I've had it once in the distant past whereby the mechanic "forgot" to refill the oil after emptying it for a service.

Apparently he was distracted by a phone call.

He knocked of 50% of the service cost for his mistake.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    I've had it once in the distant past whereby the mechanic "forgot" to refill the oil after emptying it for a service. .

Snap!

Also once drove away and a wheel fell off, as the mechanic hadn't put the wheel nuts back on! The Volvo mechanic got the sack for that as they had to pay for repairs to the wing, hub, wheel and tyre, plus the cost of a loan car!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's all fixed now thankfully.

Apparently the air filter box was not clipped into place properly, and was causing the 'noise' when pulling away. Air escaping caused it to sound rough.

Thank you for all the help everyone :)
  • Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    Phew,,, good to find out the cause and not a big prob to fix...seconds i bet
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    howardl wrote: »
    Phew,,, good to find out the cause and not a big prob to fix...seconds i bet

Yes. Ten minutes and it was done. The boss did it - he was not too pleased with the original mechanic though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Ten minutes and it was done. The boss did it - he was not too pleased with the original mechanic though.

You know where NOT to go for the next service then ?
  • Options
    Simon_MoreSimon_More Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Snap!

Also once drove away and a wheel fell off, as the mechanic hadn't put the wheel nuts back on! The Volvo mechanic got the sack for that as they had to pay for repairs to the wing, hub, wheel and tyre, plus the cost of a loan car!

My 3 day old Chrysler had a knocking sound, I drove it back to the garage. Parked it in the customer parking bay. Was told the employee would be taking it for a drive round the block. It did not come back in tact! Was wrote off! I was given a courtesy car and they claimed on there policy. Got a new car minus the knocking sound lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all fixed now thankfully.

Apparently the air filter box was not clipped into place properly, and was causing the 'noise' when pulling away. Air escaping caused it to sound rough.

Thank you for all the help everyone :)

Glad it was a simple problem...I'm surprised it wasn't noticeable whilst revving the engine.

It's a simple mistake to make, easily done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You know where NOT to go for the next service then ?

I shall keep going. They are very trustworthy. I have been going there for many years without any problems. Anyone can make a mistake. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad it was a simple problem...I'm surprised it wasn't noticeable whilst revving the engine.

Definitely no noise when revving. I didn't really take in half of what they told me. I was just relieved it was fixed. No car means I don't work.

Thanks again
  • Options
    Paul_PPaul_P Posts: 269
    Forum Member

An engine revving with no load doesn't really need much air, an engine under load needs a huge amount in comparison. A lot of cars won't rev much when they're not moving, if you rev mine at a standstill, the fuel cuts out at 2500 rpm and comes back in at 1500.

Chances are your air filter was changed by the YTP kid, or whatever the modern version is, some can be a bugger to clip back into place too.

What annoyed me (and why I gave up fixing cars) was when you say, replaced a clutch on a car and a week later the timing belt breaks or something, the punter is on the phone making out it's your fault when you were nowhere near the bloody timing belt. Then they tell someone "I got a clutch put in by him and my car blew up a week later." and it all escalates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul_P wrote: »
    An engine revving with no load doesn't really need much air, an engine under load needs a huge amount in comparison. A lot of cars won't rev much when they're not moving, if you rev mine at a standstill, the fuel cuts out at 2500 rpm and comes back in at 1500.

Chances are your air filter was changed by the YTP kid, or whatever the modern version is, some can be a bugger to clip back into place too.

What annoyed me (and why I gave up fixing cars) was when you say, replaced a clutch on a car and a week later the timing belt breaks or something, the punter is on the phone making out it's your fault when you were nowhere near the bloody timing belt. Then they tell someone "I got a clutch put in by him and my car blew up a week later." and it all escalates.

A lot of diesels will only rev a certain amount, especially the Renaults.
    I was surprised the air filter housing didn't rattle when the engine was revved.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean...I dread that phone call that starts off....."since you did" :(
    People never comment on the hundreds of perfect jobs you have done and choose only to give you stick for one mistake you might have made on one job on a bad day :(
    I've been a mechanic for 45 years, 34 years in business.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's changing, at least in my experience (thanks to the web)

The regional multi brand network where I bought my current car has loads of feedback comments on Google.

The vw dealership I goto has a separate dept which after I go there (even for something minor) will ring me for very detailed feedback, tbh it's got to the point where giving all that info takes too long. But I bet the staff dealing with the customers are kept on their toes because of it.
  • Options
    EmilyJEGEmilyJEG Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simon_More wrote: »
    My 3 day old Chrysler had a knocking sound, I drove it back to the garage. Parked it in the customer parking bay. Was told the employee would be taking it for a drive round the block. It did not come back in tact! Was wrote off! I was given a courtesy car and they claimed on there policy. Got a new car minus the knocking sound lol.

My Nana had a tiny little dint in the bonnet of her car, clearly from a stone or something, but she was adamant one of the grandchildren had done it with a football and so she banned us all from playing out the front. A teenager from the bottom end of the road (she lives on a 'dead end') decided one day to take his parents car for a little drive. My Nana heard an almighty bang and rushed out to see her car a couple of doors further down than where she'd parked it. She had to have the whole front end repaired. When she told me, the very first thing I thought (and said) was, "Well, at least the dint has gone." :D We were allowed to play outside again after that.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I shall keep going. They are very trustworthy. I have been going there for many years without any problems. Anyone can make a mistake. :)

Was going to say the same thing, why wouldn't you go back, it was a genuine mistake and they rectified it, they didn't try to fob you off or give excuses, you can't ask for more.

Though I may of mentioned the extra mileage and time spent sorting out their fault and see if they'll do the next MOT FOC etc.
  • Options
    DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of diesels will only rev a certain amount, especially the Renaults.
    I was surprised the air filter housing didn't rattle when the engine was revved.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean...I dread that phone call that starts off....."since you did" :(
    People never comment on the hundreds of perfect jobs you have done and choose only to give you stick for one mistake you might have made on one job on a bad day :(
    I've been a mechanic for 45 years, 34 years in business.

RE "since you did"

I had an electrician who swore blind his job of connecting some new earthing to water pipes in m y house had no bearing on my now non functioning boiler, I think he felt a bit silly when I pointed he had turned my gas main off (to prevent any nasty accidents I presume). But it took me an hour fault finding the boiler to work it out.