Options

Hudl Tablet

wonderwheels28wonderwheels28 Posts: 627
Forum Member
✭✭
Looking to buy my mum one for her birthday but I need to get her a wireless router can anyone recommend a good one(preferable from tesco also)

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't her broadband provider give a free wireless router with her internet service? Most do these days.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    What kind of internet connection is it? Fibre? ADSL? Cable (Virgin)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's cable(Virgin)
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virgin provide a wireless modem/router called superhub 2
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    Virgin provide a wireless modem/router called superhub 2

True, unless the OP's mum is on a very good legacy deal and doesn't want to upgrade to the superhub 2 as it would mean losing out on something - I know a few Virgin customers in this position...

Or, she already has one and hasn't realised...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    True, unless the OP's mum is on a very good legacy deal and doesn't want to upgrade to the superhub 2 as it would mean losing out on something - I know a few Virgin customers in this position...

AFAIK, worse case you can pay £50 for superhub 2 without effecting existing contract else depending on contract you can get one for free if you sign for 12 month extension to existing contract.

If you don't want the superhub 2 (they are actually not bad) then I picked up a 300mb wireless/100mb switch TP-Link wireless cable router from fleabay for £12 inc. delivery.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's cause she hasn't got internet(but still has the box) my sister in law said she something called antenna & she said that should work fine with that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's cause she hasn't got internet(but still has the box) my sister in law said she something called antenna & she said that should work fine with that.

What is your SIL talking about ??? I am only making a wild stab in the dark but is she talking about antenna on her wireless router ?
  • Options
    NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter just returned 2 hudL she bought at Christmas ( kids presents) despite her having a good wifi network & kids being patient, the hudL was very slow, buffered for ages/screen freezing etc. I think tesco need to update these.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was looking to buy a Hudl tablet for my mum as well but have been totally put off by reviews. Looks like the old adage 'you get what you pay for' applies!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    I was looking to buy a Hudl tablet for my mum as well but have been totally put off by reviews. Looks like the old adage 'you get what you pay for' applies!

I've got one, my brother has one, they're perfectly fine and well worth the money. My only gripe being the battery life isn't brilliant but that's it.

First thing I did was disable all the added Tesco stuff, then you're left with a pretty much vanilla version of Android.

All tablets can have issues but the Hudl is a perfectly capable little device. Just like all Android tabs, though, if you fill it with loads of hungry/badly written apps then it'll start to fall over.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reviews of the Hudl have all been very good.

I very much doubt anyone can provide a link to a Hudl review that is negative.

I have had several tablets and I also own the Hudl and it's good value, nothing special of course. But then it's only £119
    It seems the OP now believes her mum already has the necessary equipment.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is the camera on the Hudl?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Never used it, don't see the point of cameras on tablets but, then, I have a dslr plus a compact digicam for photos and a phone is a much better option for quick point and clicks than having to dig a tablet out of my bag.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which the front or back ?

Front is fine for video calls.

The rear is pretty basic and I believe no flash, there is a sample on youtube here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ni7dBB8pIk
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are finding the charging port very slack now on 2 of the 3 hudls we have. Hard to keep the charger plugged into it. Not sure if I have grounds for return or not it if it would just be classed wear and tear.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The front isn't good enough for Skype unless you're in an extremely well lit room. It definitely isn't good enough for the Angry Birds Go telepods regardless of lighting.

The back camera is just about acceptable in good lighting, anything other than that and it generates noisy rubbish.

Sadly the cameras are definitely the worst part of the Hudl. Others that I've tried for similar prices, such as the Asus MemoPad HD and my old Nexus 7 have considerably better cameras. Both the Nexus and the Asus are considerably slower devices, so gain in one area, lose in another.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Not sure if I have grounds for return or not it if it would just be classed wear and tear.

Return it, that shouldn't be happening and is certainly not general wear and tear. I've heard of a few people having issues with the charge port (mostly on here) and they all got their Hudl's swapped out when returned.
  • Options
    louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The opinions of the Hudl are all subjective; it all depends on what you will be using it for, how tech savvy you are, and which features are important to you. I would not even consider purchasing a Hudl, as the reaction time and battery life are two areas in which I would not compromise. It is slow, poor screen resolution and an inferior camera function. Price wise, it is not the cheapest tablet on the market with the exact same specs. The only plus I can see, is the size of the tablet, compared with other 7" models, for example the acer iconia 7" is tiny.
    My neighbour, who is in his 70s, thinks it is great. His use for it is very basic, and the lack of speed does not matter to him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reaction time is absolutely fine on mine. I certainly wouldn't call it slow and the resolution is good for a screen that size. Battery is about ten hours or so of solid use it's the drain whilst in standby that annoys me.
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »

Why doesn't she just buy a Superhub 2 off of eBay then?

They're always on there - brand new ones too and dirt cheap.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    louise1966 wrote: »
    The opinions of the Hudl are all subjective; it all depends on what you will be using it for, how tech savvy you are, and which features are important to you. I would not even consider purchasing a Hudl, as the reaction time and battery life are two areas in which I would not compromise. It is slow, poor screen resolution and an inferior camera function. Price wise, it is not the cheapest tablet on the market with the exact same specs. The only plus I can see, is the size of the tablet, compared with other 7" models, for example the acer iconia 7" is tiny.
    My neighbour, who is in his 70s, thinks it is great. His use for it is very basic, and the lack of speed does not matter to him.

As others have said, battery life is pretty good on the Hudl, and the screen reacts as good as my Nexus 7.

Screen resolution is not low - sure, it isn't 1080p, but its still a good screen. Great for comics.

Performance is definitely good - its way faster than my N7, or the Asus MemoPad HD7.

The only real negative is the camera.
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got a Hudl last year when they came out. The promised
    battery life is quoted as nine hours. First couple of charges
    that was about what I was getting.
    Since then however, it is taking a charge better, and lasting
    anything up to 16 hours. Okay, I do not give it a heavy load
    of video or music playing, but for everything else, I am well
    satisfied with my first venture into the world of tablets!
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    When charging don't just go by the tablet battery monitor but leave it for another hour or two before unplugging to get a proper full charge. Same as for any portable device in fact.
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    timebug wrote: »
    I got a Hudl last year when they came out. The promised
    battery life is quoted as nine hours. First couple of charges
    that was about what I was getting.
    Since then however, it is taking a charge better, and lasting
    anything up to 16 hours. Okay, I do not give it a heavy load
    of video or music playing, but for everything else, I am well
    satisfied with my first venture into the world of tablets!
    I agree.

I've got one and I'm getting well over the advertised 9 hrs these days and the screen is beautiful IMO for what the hudl costs.

Dunno wtf that poster up there ^^ is on about at all.

Apart from what was said about the camera, it's like they're describing a different tablet and besides - who buys a tablet for the camera?? :o