Will put a stop to the LCD vs Plasma arguments

13»

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,463
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Tell that to NEC then.:) In our Reception there is a NEC PlasmaSynch screen that has been in service for 13 1/2 years and it is probably left on for 12 or more hours continuously at least 5 days a week and more than a few times has been left on 24 hours for days on end.

Still works perfectly well. And nor does it run particularly hot either.

That's a professional monitor, not a domestic TV :p

However, I'd be surprised if a Plasma of that vintage didn't run hot, and will certainly have fans in it because of that.

But as always, sample sizes of just ONE isn't significant in any way, although I'd certainly expect a professional product to use better components than a domestic one, and the price (which will have been thousands) reflects that.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a professional monitor, not a domestic TV

However, I'd be surprised if a Plasma of that vintage didn't run hot, and will certainly have fans in it because of that.

But heat generated is only a problem for reliability if the TV is not properly designed to handle it.
    But as always, sample sizes of just ONE isn't significant in any way, although I'd certainly expect a professional product to use better components than a domestic one, and the price (which will have been thousands) reflects that.

Yes of course but by the same token I'd expect a TV from someone like Panasonic to last longer than a supermarket cheapy. I think just saying that a plasma TV will not last as long as an LCD is being too simplistic, it depends on a lot of factors.

I also think that you have to be careful about what you read from your own experiences. I would imagine most purchasers of supermarket cheapies don't consider getting them repaired whereas owners of expensive plasmas are more likely to come to you.
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    Yes of course but by the same token I'd expect a TV from someone like Panasonic to last longer than a supermarket cheapy.

I would absolutely agree - Panasonic and Sony sets (as the two top makes) are better made using better quality components. Likewise, you'd expect mid-quality makers (like LG and Samsung) to also be more reliable than the cheapies.

I think just saying that a plasma TV will not last as long as an LCD is being too simplistic, it depends on a lot of factors.

Statistically Plasma sets don't last as long, and are more expensive to repair when they do go wrong. Individual cases obviously depend on a number of factors, but heat is a major one for electronics.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but same technology for the display panel.
    It does not get that hot in use. Warm certainly but not excessvely so. And no fans, unless they are totally silent, or maybe completely bu**ered after 13 years use!:D
  • lionelmortonlionelmorton Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't say I noticed any flickering on the Panny plasma - just that the picture was disappointing.
    When I setup a tv , if I can't set the brightness and contrast to a level I like that's not good .
    And when putting on a Bluray I like HD to retain its wow factor - certainly missing from the 42" plasma I tried.
    My sister in law has a 50" Panny and that's dreadful - but her husband just thinks the bigger the better and doesn't have a clue about most home cinema technology
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    My plasma is coming up to 8yrs old and still going strong. My sons is over 5yrs old and still working too. So the answer to your question is yes, but then why would you think they would not be working?

Come back in 3yrs and lets see if your LCD is still looking fine. :p

My 40 inch 5 year old Sony could conk out anytime. That's the risk with electronics.
    I read Plasma's are more prone to failure over a similar time, due to their structure.
    Not everything fails at the same time. If need be I could get a perfectly reasonable Panasonic LED for £350 to £400.
    They are half the price now and better.
    Plasma isn't needed nowadays is it ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My 40 inch 5 year old Sony could conk out anytime. That's the risk with electronics.
    I read Plasma's are more prone to failure over a similar time, due to their structure.
    Not everything fails at the same time. If need be I could get a perfectly reasonable Panasonic LED for £350 to £400.
    They are half the price now and better.
    Plasma isn't needed nowadays is it ?
    Got a 37" Panny from Richer Sounds for £499.
    Higher base price than some other makes but worked out cheaper because :

It was 3D , wireless was built in and no adapter needed and the 5 year warranty was free.
  • The Great 208The Great 208 Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got a 37" Panny from Richer Sounds for £499.
    Higher base price than some other makes but worked out cheaper because :

It was 3D , wireless was built in and no adapter needed and the 5 year warranty was free.

I have:

a 42" Panasonic plasma
    a 40" Toshiba LCD 1080p
    a 32" Toshiba LCD 720p
    a 22" Samsung LED 1080p
    a 19" Grundug LCD 720p

all of which have HD tuners or have been connected to HD sources and I am perfectly happy with all of them. I think that the reason that the LCD v Plasma debate rolls on is that there is no real answer. I think it is very hard to compare like for like and, even where you think you can, the differences are so subtle that it is very difficult to decide.

All I do know is that the plasma is better in SD and it keeps my living room nice and warm....
  • RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly, Domestic telly's aren't often built to be bullet proof with, sufficient cooling for all components and keeping things like good quality capacitors cooler to provide that bullet proof reliability.

If you want that it costs, and alot more than most are willing to pay.

I've had top quality jap capacitors fail in my Pioneer within 3 years.

Damned good TV but I've also seen far to many go wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that the reason that the LCD v Plasma debate rolls on is that there is no real answer. I think it is very hard to compare like for like and, even where you think you can, the differences are so subtle that it is very difficult to decide.

All I do know is that the plasma is better in SD and it keeps my living room nice and warm....
    I think I mentioned that earlier .
    When digital tv was all SD I stayed with CRT as all flat panel sets displayed in shops were shit without exception .

I waited until 2007/08 to get LCD so that I had access to HD broadcasts and Bluray as SD tv was still quite disappointing .

When I tried the plasma it was noticeable that the SD looked better . However , that was in comparison to the HD so I believed that SD didn't really look better than it did on my LCD , the SD on the plasma looked less bad against the HD because the HD was poorer .
    My tests with various broadcasts and Bluray discs indicated to me that I wasn't imagining it .
    When the LED arrived I was blown away by the HD on it .
    DVD's still look excellent so the poorer SD channels in my opinion , is merely down to the low bitrates .

I have a motorised sat dish so I have access to digital channels from other countries and the offerings from Germany are as good as dvd and much better than UK channels .
    Less compression to cram more channels in I think.

Moving the dish from Einsfestival on Astra 1 to the BBC or ITV offerings on Astra 2 shows a noticeable change in quality.
    I have a set of dvd's of Einsfestival broadcasts of 1970-1976 Top of the Pops from a few years back and the quality is great but recordings from sat/cable UK is not as good although I use the HD broadcasts where possible for the higher bitrates even though the disc is still SD .
    Recorded a film from Film4 SD , did it again from Film4HD and it was way better even though both ended up as SD dvd recordings.

But I digress and have gone off topic
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    jjne wrote: »
    I think ending plasma production clears the way for Panasonic to farm out production to the Chinese as the rest of the Japanese companies have done. This will leave the Koreans, by default, representing the higher end of the quality spectrum, with Sony already having farmed their production out to Foxconn, Sharp to Vestel and Tosh to UMC.

From what I've read it looks like Panasonic are also aiming to get out of LCD too, concentrating on OLED and 4K. BTW LG already supply the IPS panels for Panasonic.
  • hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I mentioned that earlier .
    When digital tv was all SD I stayed with CRT as all flat panel sets displayed in shops were shit without exception .

I waited until 2007/08 to get LCD so that I had access to HD broadcasts and Bluray as SD tv was still quite disappointing .

When I tried the plasma it was noticeable that the SD looked better . However , that was in comparison to the HD so I believed that SD didn't really look better than it did on my LCD , the SD on the plasma looked less bad against the HD because the HD was poorer .
    My tests with various broadcasts and Bluray discs indicated to me that I wasn't imagining it .
    When the LED arrived I was blown away by the HD on it .
    DVD's still look excellent so the poorer SD channels in my opinion , is merely down to the low bitrates .

I have a motorised sat dish so I have access to digital channels from other countries and the offerings from Germany are as good as dvd and much better than UK channels .
    Less compression to cram more channels in I think.

Moving the dish from Einsfestival on Astra 1 to the BBC or ITV offerings on Astra 2 shows a noticeable change in quality.
    I have a set of dvd's of Einsfestival broadcasts of 1970-1976 Top of the Pops from a few years back and the quality is great but recordings from sat/cable UK is not as good although I use the HD broadcasts where possible for the higher bitrates even though the disc is still SD .
    Recorded a film from Film4 SD , did it again from Film4HD and it was way better even though both ended up as SD dvd recordings.

But I digress and have gone off topic

Each to their own, and everyone's experience will differ, according to which make and model of screen they have. Generalisation is unwise.

The SD on my Pioneer is HUGELY better than SD on most mid/cheap range 1080p LCD screens... but the HD is also amazing. For a 6 year old screen the HD stands up to the latest high-end TVs very well.
    And so it should, for a £4000 Pioneer plasma.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hardylane wrote: »
    Each to their own, and everyone's experience will differ, according to which make and model of screen they have. Generalisation is unwise.

The SD on my Pioneer is HUGELY better than SD on most mid/cheap range 1080p LCD screens... but the HD is also amazing. For a 6 year old screen the HD stands up to the latest high-end TVs very well.
    And so it should, for a £4000 Pioneer plasma.

Yes but I'm comparing sets all in similar price ranges .
    Having said that the 42" plasma was actually £1100 .

When I switched to the LED set it was £750.
    When I got one for my son a few months ago the same set was £499 - becoming discontinued I think.

The Samsung and LG sets all looked inferior as did the Toshibas which looked really bad.
    The LG and Samsung were a bit cheaper but the free 5 year warranty and inclusive wireless meant the Panny worked out the same with 3D basically for free
    Forum Member
    Ragnarok wrote: »
    I've had top quality jap capacitors fail in my Pioneer within 3 years.

Either they weren't top quality Japanese capacitors, or the set was VERY poorly designed (and running at far higher temperatures than the caps were designed for).

I've changed thousands of duff electrolytics, but never changed any top make ones.

It could be of course that Pioneer fell foul of the stolen electrolyte problem, but I don't think any top manufacturers ever used it?.