Why is Nicolas Cage criticized so much?

FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
Forum Member
✭✭
Seems a decent bloke to me.

And done so many classic movies, one of the greatest actors of our generation.

Just wondering if the stick he gets is unjustified or if people have a reason?

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His choice in films are so poor and therefore his performances are affected

He had all the acclaim and respect at his feet when he won his oscar. But look at him now. He makes such pathetic crap films. But he is just one of many to do this after an oscar win. An oscar win is brilliant but it's what you do after that really sets your career in stone.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Seems a decent bloke to me.

And done so many classic movies, one of the greatest actors of our generation.

Just wondering if the stick he gets is unjustified or if people have a reason?

I watched JOE the other day & thought it was canny! ... so not all his movies are bad! 👍 ... I personally think the constant criticism is totally unjustified but that's just me! 😉
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His choice in films are so poor and therefore his performances are affected

He had all the acclaim and respect at his feet when he won his oscar. But look at him now. He makes such pathetic crap films. But he is just one of many to do this after an oscar win. An oscar win is brilliant but it's what you do after that really sets your career in stone.

After his Oscar win (which isn't all that special a luvvies award at best) he went on to do Con Air & The Rock, both very good films...not forgetting he also got another Oscar nomination for Adaptation.

He has been in some crap films, but also good films both before & after his Oscar win.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because he's shite
  • intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    OP can you list some of these "classic movies" he's made please, would make for interesting reading :P
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    for con air alone he will always be loved by me.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Rock was ace. :D
  • Trevor_C7Trevor_C7 Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    I believe he had money troubles some years ago, and fell in to the trap of doing any old crap just to pay the bills.

The really good action films he made ie The Rock, Con Air, Face Off, just aren't made any more as there's no appetite for them.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's an episode of 'community' and all the students take a course to work out if Nicolas cage is a really good or really bad actor :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »

Yep! .. That's my fave Cage film! ... Absolutely fantastic! 👍
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »

Put the bunny back in the box!

I love that film -good old fashioned entertainment! Made all the better for the presence of John Malkovitch! :D
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What he did to the cult classic, The Wicker Man, when he starred in the remake, might possibly have something to do with it?
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    Yep! .. That's my fave Cage film! ... Absolutely fantastic! 👍
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    Put the bunny back in the box!

I love that film -good old fashioned entertainment! Made all the better for the presence of John Malkovitch! :D

i think its great that such a tough guy was callled..............po:D
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I like him in some films, but recently he's been making any old tat just to pay his bills.

But 'Frozen Ground" and the one where his daughter is kidnapped in New Orleans aren't bad.
  • SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeus wrote: »
    What he did to the cult classic, The Wicker Man, when he starred in the remake, might possibly have something to do with it?
    His performance in that is the best thing he's ever done. :D That film puts most comedies to shame.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I would say he's not nearly criticised enough! He's incredibly lucky if you ask me to be in the position he's in, I think he's one of the worst actors I've ever seen. I would say he receives far more praise than criticism- at least from the people that for some reason keep throwing these roles at him, otherwise he wouldn't be the big Hollywood a-lister he is.

He still gets the occasional good film and is in my opinion, usually the worst thing in it. He's laughable in Kick Ass for example, and when he gets an awful script thrown at him, he still manages to be the worst thing in it, such as the Wicker Man remake. In fact, I'm not actually sure if the script was bad in that, or whether it's just Cage being so dreadful in it that it makes It seem like the script is bad!

Then there's Con Air. Great film, but his accent is atrocious! "Put the bunneh back in the box" :D And his ridiculous overacting in Gone in 60 Seconds and don't even get me started on "Knowing"- mind you that film would have been awful with or without Cage, Cage just made it worse as usual!
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come on, can't believe Kick Ass hasn't been mentioned, he was ace in that. On the other hand National Tresaure :p
    Forum Member
    kendoguk wrote: »
    Come on, can't believe Kick Ass hasn't been mentioned, he was ace in that. On the other hand National Tresaure :p

It has... in my post directly above yours :p

As for him being ace in it, I have only one thing to say;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPCI3pUTK6E
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    I would say he's not nearly criticised enough! He's incredibly lucky if you ask me to be in the position he's in, I think he's one of the worst actors I've ever seen. I would say he receives far more praise than criticism- at least from the people that for some reason keep throwing these roles at him, otherwise he wouldn't be the big Hollywood a-lister he is.

He still gets the occasional good film and is in my opinion, usually the worst thing in it. He's laughable in Kick Ass for example, and when he gets an awful script thrown at him, he still manages to be the worst thing in it, such as the Wicker Man remake. In fact, I'm not actually sure if the script was bad in that, or whether it's just Cage being so dreadful in it that it makes It seem like the script is bad!

Then there's Con Air. Great film, but his accent is atrocious! "Put the bunneh back in the box" :D And his ridiculous overacting in Gone in 60 Seconds and don't even get me started on "Knowing"- mind you that film would have been awful with or without Cage, Cage just made it worse as usual!

Well obviously they know better then.
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Well obviously they know better then.

Better than who? Me? So I'm not allowed a negative opinion on an actor because they still get roles? You could say that about anything. You don't like a particular actor "well, they still get roles" so what? Justin Bieber still makes music, but that won't stop me hating that.

I'd also argue half the films Cage has been in- Kick Ass for example, would have been successful without him, or with another actor. In fact, Cage almost ruined the film for me with his ridiculous screaming, and then there's films like the Wicker Man remake that may not have turned into such a joke if Cage hadn't been in them. I'm not sure there's many people who would argue the people who put him in that role 'know better' after witnessing that abomination!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better than who? Me? So I'm not allowed a negative opinion on an actor because they still get roles? You could say that about anything. You don't like a particular actor "well, they still get roles" so what? Justin Bieber still makes music, but that won't stop me hating that.

I'd also argue half the films Cage has been in- Kick Ass for example, would have been successful without him, or with another actor. In fact, Cage almost ruined the film for me with his ridiculous screaming.

Obviously they do, else they wouldn't cast him. Just don't watch films with him in, if you hate is acting so much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In your expert opinion who's worse Cage OR Stevie Seagal? :D
    (This should be interesting!) :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like him in some films, but recently he's been making any old tat just to pay his bills.

But 'Frozen Ground" and the one where his daughter is kidnapped in New Orleans aren't bad.

I liked frozen ground aswell! :blush:
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Obviously they do, else they wouldn't cast him. Just don't watch films with him in, if you hate is acting so much.

I don't agree with that. Whoever sat through him farting his way through the Wicker Man script obviously didn't know anything! And I'd say the vast majority of people who watched the film, including critics would agree, but if you think they must know what they are doing simply because they cast him, that's up to you.

I wouldn't avoid films with him generally, unless maybe it was a major role. I thought he was awful in Kick Ass, but he wasn't in it much and the rest of the film was great- also he can at least do the action scenes, so he's bearable, as long as he's not talking! :p I mean the scenes where he's screaming at hitgirl are just hilariously bad!
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    In your expert opinion who's worse Cage OR Stevie Seagal? :D
    (This should be interesting!) :D

I'd rather watch Cage any time. You couldn't pay me to watch a Steven Seagal film...

(well, you could, but it would have to be a decent sum!) :D