Options

Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Year - big party or damp squib?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why anyone would be aggrieved is beyond me,yes we have effectively lost a series,but its better than the dark dark days between 89 and 05,afterall we don't know the mitigating circumstances of the hiatus

This has been debated endlessly, so it seems pointless to repeat. We were told we'd get more Who than ever. We got less.

Less is better than none. But if your boss used that argument to give you a wage cut, I bet you would immediately understand why someone could be aggrieved at getting more than nothing but less than expected.
  • Options
    bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has been debated endlessly, so it seems pointless to repeat. We were told we'd get more Who than ever. We got less.

Less is better than none. But if your boss used that argument to give you a wage cut, I bet you would immediately understand why someone could be aggrieved at getting more than nothing but less than expected.

You assumed that meant more episodes. Since when did it ever mean that? It never has. You took it to mean more episodes, but that's never been explicitly said, has it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bbll22 wrote: »
    You assumed that meant more episodes. Since when did it ever mean that? It never has. You took it to mean more episodes, but that's never been explicitly said, has it?

You are right. But I think it implied more Who on TV. I didn't necessarily think it was more new episodes - repeats of Classic Who were a possibility.

I didn't think it meant stamps. :)
  • Options
    bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are right. But I think it implied more Who on TV. I didn't necessarily think it was more new episodes - repeats of Classic Who were a possibility.

I didn't think it meant stamps. :)

To me, more Who than ever means things like stamps, books and any kind of merchandise otherwise more episodes would have been explicitly stated. More Who means the wider scale of DW, not just the show...

I like all those other things anyway, it's a nice gentle build-up (as it should be in my opinion) I don't want in your face, wall to wall DW everywhere. Even as a fan I would find that off-putting - Tennant's endless appearances on TV in the build-up to the End of Time as well as the BBC One idents just put it into overload for me - it was just OTT. Personally, I don't want anything like that this year...

I much prefer this steady approach that will no doubt get more and more present nearer to November we get.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To me, more Who than ever means things like stamps, books and any kind of merchandise otherwise more episodes would have been explicitly stated. More Who means the wider scale of DW, not just the show...

I like all those other things anyway, it's a nice gentle build-up (as it should be in my opinion) I don't want in your face, wall to wall DW everywhere. Even as a fan I would find that off-putting - Tennant's endless appearances on TV in the build-up to the End of Time as well as the BBC One idents just put it into overload for me - it was just OTT. Personally, I don't want anything like that this year...

I much prefer this steady approach that will no doubt get more and more present nearer to November we get.

Well, you're lucky then, aren't you, because you got what you want.

I've noticed how the people who get what they want and are quite satisfied are never the ones complaining, and are always the ones accusing others of having a sense of entitlement, in a slightly patient tone. I can't work out why that is......

I completely loved the hype around The End of Time, and didn't have any reason to complain about it. I think there were some who said it was OTT, though. Tut tut. How dare they.
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, you're lucky then, aren't you, because you got what you want.

I've noticed how the people who get what they want and are quite satisfied are never the ones complaining, and are always the ones accusing others of having a sense of entitlement, in a slightly patient tone. I can't work out why that is......

I completely loved the hype around The End of Time, and didn't have any reason to complain about it. I think there were some who said it was OTT, though. Tut tut. How dare they.

Thats because we are happy with our lot,id rather have a bit of something than a lot of nothing:)
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree October/November i reckon it will start to build massively
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member

I didn't assume we'd get more episodes. I assumed we'd get the same - I assumed we'd get Season 8 (13 episodes) and a Christmas Day special.

Because that's what the BBC statements have all said - from Moffat and the head of BBC publicity.

Sadly it all turned out to be hogwash. All the BBC is producing this year is TWO new episodes of Doctor Who rather than the usual 14.

I just wish the BBC would stop publishing misleading and untrue statements and was simply honest, like it was back in 2008 when it announced - clearly and well in advance - the 2009 year of specials and confirmed that Who would return for a full series in 2010.

To suggest the BBC 'overpromised' what it would deliver in 2013 is an understatement. The fact we now have to wait until September 2014 for Season 8 - after a very patchy couple of years - doesn't exactly leave my in a celebratory mood, I'm afraid.

It seems the only organisation that's telling the truth about what's going on with Doctor Who's production is Private Eye!
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to the anniversary special, and the dramatization of what happened behind the scenes in the early days of the series' conception.
    I'm sure they will both be of high quality, especially the latter.
    My only disappointment is that they're not showing any classic Doctor Who stories on BBC3 or BBC4, or even BBC2 (I wouldn't have expected BBC1, nice though it would have been!)
    As has been said, a story from each Doctor, starting in January, on Saturday evenings in the original slot, would have been excellent, even if they had limited themselves to no more than four parters to make it work with the calendar.
    I really don't know why they didn't do that, I certainly hope it was at least considered.
    :)
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    I didn't assume we'd get more episodes. I assumed we'd get the same - I assumed we'd get Season 8 (13 episodes) and a Christmas Day special.

Because that's what the BBC statements have all said - from Moffat and the head of BBC publicity.

Sadly it all turned out to be hogwash. All the BBC is producing this year is TWO new episodes of Doctor Who rather than the usual 14.

I just wish the BBC would stop publishing misleading and untrue statements and was simply honest, like it was back in 2008 when it announced - clearly and well in advance - the 2009 year of specials and confirmed that Who would return for a full series in 2010.

To suggest the BBC 'overpromised' what it would deliver in 2013 is an understatement. The fact we now have to wait until September 2014 for Season 8 - after a very patchy couple of years - doesn't exactly leave my in a celebratory mood, I'm afraid.

It seems the only organisation that's telling the truth about what's going on with Doctor Who's production is Private Eye!

I'm afraid I have to agree with this.
    Back in 2011 when they announced there'd only be 6 episodes in 2012 with the rest of series 7 in 2013 and when they announced that 2013 would have more Who than ever before and when they said something along the lines of entering the longest period of sustained production they'd ever done, I must have naively assumed that we'd get Series 7 part 2 in early 2013 then Series 8 in late 2013 to coincide with the anniversary because that would fit such a description.
    But apparently, "more Who than ever before" only referred to the BBC having the opportunity to make more money off fans by selling more merchandise and "the longest period of sustained production" just didn't happen.

I don't care too much about this trailer people are moaning about, but I am by no means happy at the treatment of Doctor Who this year and for the past few years.
    I like Steven Moffat's writing, but if he is the reason that the show has lost its regular schedule due to him working on Sherlock, I must admit I'd like to see him gone.
    Not saying it is his fault. That's another problem- the BBC are pretending everything is fine and not telling us anything. So it's not just the fact we're getting a lot less Doctor Who than usual, it's that there is a distinct lack of clarity as to what is actually happening.

People are saying series 8 will be in August 2014. Well given how most "confirmations" over the past few years have turned out in reality, I would not be at all surprised if we had to wait until 2015 for Series 8.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still waiting on any evidence of 'Wall-to-Wall Doctor Who'?

Any US genre show you can name pumps out 22-24 hours of TV every year as standard.

7 original episodes (filmed last year) + 2 specials is a fairly piss-poor stab at 'Wall to Wall' by even the most generous persons standards.

I'm gigantically disappointed by the anniversary.
  • Options
    PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I've certainly spent more on DW this year than ever before. There's merchandise cropping up just about everywhere now, and the variety of different DW related products you can buy is just amazing. However, I would still like more TV episodes. We haven't had enough for the anniversary year. It would have been better if we'd have had a full series 7 in 2012, then, series 8 would include all the episodes we saw in the real series 7, including the Pond's farewell and Clara's introduction. We could have still had a split; part one in April, part two in September, leading right into the 50th special.
  • Options
    scumcatscumcat Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    I agree October/November i reckon it will start to build massively

And what if it doesn't?
  • Options
    scumcatscumcat Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    I'm afraid I have to agree with this.
    Back in 2011 when they announced there'd only be 6 episodes in 2012 with the rest of series 7 in 2013 and when they announced that 2013 would have more Who than ever before and when they said something along the lines of entering the longest period of sustained production they'd ever done, I must have naively assumed that we'd get Series 7 part 2 in early 2013 then Series 8 in late 2013 to coincide with the anniversary because that would fit such a description.
    But apparently, "more Who than ever before" only referred to the BBC having the opportunity to make more money off fans by selling more merchandise and "the longest period of sustained production" just didn't happen.

I don't care too much about this trailer people are moaning about, but I am by no means happy at the treatment of Doctor Who this year and for the past few years.
    I like Steven Moffat's writing, but if he is the reason that the show has lost its regular schedule due to him working on Sherlock, I must admit I'd like to see him gone.
    Not saying it is his fault. That's another problem- the BBC are pretending everything is fine and not telling us anything. So it's not just the fact we're getting a lot less Doctor Who than usual, it's that there is a distinct lack of clarity as to what is actually happening.

People are saying series 8 will be in August 2014. Well given how most "confirmations" over the past few years have turned out in reality, I would not be at all surprised if we had to wait until 2015 for Series 8.

99% agree with this, I'd like to see the trailer though.

I was a huge moffat fan even named our cat after him, I'd just like a complete new start now without him I think he thinks he is bigger than the show and that is never good. Just bring in Toby
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Interesting split in the poll at the moment, with about the same % of forum members (about 40%) either really/mostly happy or very/mostly disappointed with what's planned. About 20% remain undecided.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    FWIW, technically (and I'm sure someone has pointed this out before), we have had "more Who than ever before" in 2013. Even if there'd been only 1 new episode that phrase would still be (strictly) true. Misleading advertising weasel words though. Most people would interpret that to mean more than ever before in this year.

I'm only disappointed in the "spin", not the show itself, and am really looking forward to both the 50th Special and the drama doc.

Ask again after November is out. :)
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    In all honesty I'm happy with the 50th and Gatiss' drama.

An in depth multi part documentary would be a bully bonus and anything else would be a nice addition but hey ho.

Its early days yet, no point milking it all too soon and boring Joe public with months worth of trailers and TV spots.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    FWIW, technically (and I'm sure someone has pointed this out before), we have had "more Who than ever before" in 2013. Even if there'd been only 1 new episode that phrase would still be (strictly) true. Misleading advertising weasel words though. Most people would interpret that to mean more than ever before in this year.

I'm only disappointed in the "spin", not the show itself, and am really looking forward to both the 50th Special and the drama doc.

Ask again after November is out. :)

Not sure how that works out - we had 8 episodes left over from last year (season seven) and now we have the anniversary special and the Christmas Day episode. That's only 10 episodes rather than the usual 14.
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    Not sure how that works out - we had 8 episodes left over from last year (season seven) and now we have the anniversary special and the Christmas Day episode. That's only 10 episodes rather than the usual 14.

I think GDK was applying politicians truth to Moffat's statement. Technically we have had more Who that ever before because these 10 episodes will be added to previous 49 years total number of episodes so it means that in 2013 we have had more Who than by the end of 2012, because the total number has increased even though we traditionally would have had 14 episodes, err, I think :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought GDK meant that we have had more episodes than ever before in 2013 because we've not had a 2013 before, so even one episode would be more than in any other 2013. Because there hasn't been another 2013 to have more episodes than this one.

I would like GDK to come back and tell us who is right. If anyone. :):):)
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    Maybe GDK was speaking dimensionally because up until now we've only been able to enjoy Doctor Who in plane old 2D (apart from an embarrassing incident in Albert Square that we won't mention), this year there will be a whole new dimension to view it in.

Actually come to think of it, if the anniversary special is 90 minutes, as is currently rumoured, then I guess that counts as two regular episodes so that takes the total up to 11. I don't think we're going to hit the magic 14 though :(