PC has slot for Micro SD, but never detects a card in it!

It's pretty neat that my PC actually has a slot for reading Micro SD cards directly, rather than having to use an SD card adapter to read them, only it doesn't actually work so I have to do that anyway.

Does anyone know the possible reason why, it was formerly a Windows 7 machine but I decided to install XP instead as programs I want to run depend on that. Could it be that there is no direct support for Micro SD card reading in XP and that's why my slot doesn't work?
There's lots of drives reserved in My Computer for what is probably the various slots on the front facia of the PC such as Compact Flash and XD cards, but still it isn't recognised.

Also unrelated, a 32GB micro sd card I had just suddenly stopped working with no warning, luckily I had only used it for one thing and then backed it up. I put in a Zoom recorder, recorded something and backed it up and then installed it into my Android phone but it wasn't detected, and nor was it readable in the PC or the Zoom recorder again, simply "No Card". It's now just a piece of plastic, why would that happen? Are they susceptible to static damage perhaps?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    think it could be to do with no driver installed for it
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    i've never seen a micro sd card reader on a computer.

but if you have one it should appear in the device manager under disc drives.

open the device manager and look for it or any exclamation points. also go to the manufacturer's website and see if they have drivers for XP. you may well have missed a lot of drivers.

I have never seen a micro sd card fail. they are not really susceptible to shock damage. they are to static.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it at all possible the slot is for something else and you've confused it for a micro SD slot?
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Is it at all possible the slot is for something else and you've confused it for a micro SD slot?

Like an air vent.
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have gone from win 7 to XP its very likely that you have not got the correct chipset drivers or just the driver for your card reader . Open up device manager and right click any yellow markers and try updating the drivers .

Got to say its madness to try to run XP ( particularly on a modern PC ) in place of win 7 ( far to many issues now ) It looks like win 7 will be a classic operating system like XP was 10 years ago .
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put win 7 back on. You will have to eventually find alternate programs if the devs arent supporting them anymore.
    Its reality like it or not.
    Forum Member
    the problem i have with the driver theory is that XP had pretty good native support for card readers.

but yes, going back to XP is crazy.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    1saintly wrote: »
    Put win 7 back on. You will have to eventually find alternate programs if the devs arent supporting them anymore.
    Its reality like it or not.

Windows 7 is no good for my radio broadcasting, there's no way to listen in to the mixer through Line In as the main issue.
    Forum Member
    Windows 7 is no good for my radio broadcasting, there's no way to listen in to the mixer through Line In as the main issue.
    who told you that?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That sounds (no pun intended) like either a driver issue or what is known in the trade as "finger trouble". I certainly have no issues listening to any source plugged into the Line In on either of my Widows 7 machines.

I have seen mention of not being able to record audio being streamed from the internet or whatever. It seems some machines hide the Stereo Mix option that lets you record what is being played. Or you might have to download new drivers to enable it.
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    the problem i have with the driver theory is that XP had pretty good native support for card readers.

but yes, going back to XP is crazy.

It depends what you want to do with your computer doesn't it?
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    That sounds (no pun intended) like either a driver issue or what is known in the trade as "finger trouble". I certainly have no issues listening to any source plugged into the Line In on either of my Widows 7 machines.

I have seen mention of not being able to record audio being streamed from the internet or whatever. It seems some machines hide the Stereo Mix option that lets you record what is being played. Or you might have to download new drivers to enable it.

It's Stereo Mix, but that can be enabled, it's the way they have designed the whole Windows audio mixer.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Stereo Mix, but that can be enabled, it's the way they have designed the whole Windows audio mixer.
    You mention "radio broadcasting" in a previous post. If it were me I wouldn't be using the built in mixer app on Windows for anything serious. I would be plugging up an external mixer and using that instead.

If the sound card can do full duplex then use it as a source into one of the mixer inputs and feed the mixer output back to the PC for recording. But do all the clever bits on the mixer away from Windows.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And anyway, Windows 7 Pro comes with an XP mode you can use for software that needs to run in XP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh MAN you did all that and ruined your PC set up to get to XP for that .

In Win 7 just go to "sounds" then double click your line in properties & then go to "listen" and just tick the box "listen to this device"

Works perfectly

Genuine suggestion -- back up your data and put a proper OS back on your PC & have a read of the relevant help pages .

As a added bonus your card reader will work again !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    Have a look at this mate. It may be part of the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934428

On my old (2006) laptop I had to mess about to get the SD slot working with some drivers and that hotfix.

However my new netbook which now has xp, works with sd cards. I honestly can't remember if I had to tweak this machine to get it to work. I think it just worked, ive looked for anything I might have downloaded to get it to work but I cant see anything.

You mention that you have various drives in my computer relating to other XD and CF cards so the drivers probably are working. Try some different cards if you have them, preferably plain low capacity SD cards not SDHC OR SDHX etc.
    Forum Member
    As it happens Windows 7 does remain if you boot into one of the other partitions, so I CAN choose to go back to it, I just haven't done, the option to "listen to this device" sounds like it might be what I'm looking for, so thanks for that tip.
    Forum Member
    Does the SD card reader work in win 7¿
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP what did you end up doing ? did you re install win 7 and use it as I suggested in post 16 , its so easy -- or did you stay with XP and try to get drivers for your card reader ?