BBC IPlayer Downloads stops downloading....

Recently every time I try to download a programme onto BBC Iplayer Downloads, it stops downloading when it has downloaded about 12 mb. Does anyone have any suggestions how to solve this problem? :confused:

Comments

• ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hard Drive running out of space?
  • curly wurlycurly wurly Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Thanks for reply, - I've checked and there's still 43 GB free space.
  • Arwen_EvenstarArwen_Evenstar Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine always freezes at 12MB, then the speed drops, but it does continue downloading once it's unfrozen, usually within a few minutes.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have also noted temporary halt at 12 MB. BBC downloads have a feature if you start a download in UK and pause it, you can download rest while abroad. I know this works but found you had to download a couple of minutes, not just a few seconds. I wonder if freeze at 12 MB is iplayer logging the download has reached a certainly of point hence allowing overseas download?
  • billbullockbillbullock Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    I don't have a problem with BBC iPlayer Downloads in Windows 7 but I cannot get it to work in Windows 8. Now there is a new version 1.8.0, I thought the problem would disappear but no such luck. Does anyone else have this problem? The download just will not start.
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im having the same problem, but not when it's at 12 mb.

Im downloading The Fantastical World of Hormones with Professor John Wass, but it stopped downloading at about 319 mb.

However, when I click on Pause then click Resume, it then resumes downloading.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cooler wrote: »
    Im having the same problem, but not when it's at 12 mb.

Im downloading The Fantastical World of Hormones with Professor John Wass, but it stopped downloading at about 319 mb.

However, when I click on Pause then click Resume, it then resumes downloading.

The 12 mb problem is a different issue to yours. The above happens to me occasionally when I am downloading on a mobile phone when the wifi signal is a bit weaker.

The 12 MB issue is a strange one - if you watch any download, they all stop at 12 MB for a brief moment. BBC Iplayer has always had ability to start a download, and stop it, and resume at a later date. Of course, people start a download and cancel straight away because it is the wrong one.

I think somebody has arbitrarily set 12 MB as a point where it is deemed you are genuinely trying to download rather then accidentally, and now it allows you to stop and start thereafter (it could be related to ability to download abroad, if you start a download in UK - not a lot of people know this as Maurice Micklewhite would say).
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    But why would not do it that way and not just let the download complete? Or is it a space saver for a phone / tablet with limited storage?