Options

What would turn you off Doctor Who?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    No, it's tinny. She's one of the best forum members. Highly liked.

ccoolll. Ix mustt reemnber hwo to gaiinnn pipoularity peps like me--X
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ccoolll. Ix mustt reemnber hwo to gaiinnn pipoularity peps like me--X

Well, no, that's not the way.

It's more that tinny never makes fun of other posters or posts nasty things about them.

She's very straightforward and honest in her views, never snide or sarcastic, and she's always fun.

When you've done that for a few years, you might be as popular as tinny is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Well, no, that's not the way.

It's more that tinny never makes fun of other posters or posts nasty things about them.

She's very straightforward and honest in her views, never snide or sarcastic, and she's always fun.

When you've done that for a few years, you might be as popular as tinny is.

I hear you but (a) I don't care about being "popular" -- this is the internet, jeez, and (b) while I am perhaps being unfair, I couldn't make head nor tail of her posts. I wouldn't know it even if she were posting nasty things about me.

But no insult intended.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hear you but (a) I don't care about being "popular" -- this is the internet, jeez, and (b) while I am perhaps being unfair, I couldn't make head nor tail of her posts. I wouldn't know it even if she were posting nasty things about me.

But no insult intended.:)

Sorry, but you mentioned popularity in your post so I answered in kind.

No, I'm sure you're not bothered about being popular, any more than I am. :D
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rose coming back (again) other than possibly in a brief flashback. She was great but she was of her time and the 'love' between her and the Doctor threatened to turn the show into a soupy soap. Leave her be.
  • Options
    BlueZane00BlueZane00 Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    If they bring in River Song as a regular without improving the writing I'd be turned off. The 'flirting' and attraction with the Doctor just feels really heavy handed, like scenes from a CBBC show. Alex Kingston is a decent actress but the material lets her down.

I wouldn't watch if the tone of the show became more geared towards children. Currently, I think the show gets the right balance to get all ages. (I wouldn't mind if the show targeted an older audience with some specials.)
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    Rose coming back (again) other than possibly in a brief flashback. She was great but she was of her time and the 'love' between her and the Doctor threatened to turn the show into a soupy soap. Leave her be.

Ooops, you know shes back for the 50th dont you? ;)
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Ooops, you know shes back for the 50th dont you? ;)

Never mind. I've seen the spoilers. The Doctor "accidentally" T-mats her to the Adric spaceship just before impact. Doing the job properly this time. :D

(sorry - joke. I like Rose. Had enough of her. But Like her).
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This thread is for describing how far the show would have to go FROM NOW ON to get people currently watching to quit.
    Hence my post, where I did just that.

If you've already checked out you don't really have any business being in here in the first place to once again derail it with modern Who bashing, but nice try anyway.

It's an interesting question, especially now when there's a discrepancy between the viewing figures and the perceived discontent. I had a conversation with the guy that sits next to me at work yesterday that went along the lines of

"You still watching Doctor Who?"
    "Yep though I'm not sure why, it's stunk this year"
    "You looking forward to this weeks?"
    "God Yes"

I'm in the camp of not particularly liking this season but being a long way from checking out. I've really enjoyed about half the episodes so to summarise what keeps me tuning in I'd say "hope". The nature of the writing means that just because you think episode x stinks doesn't mean you won't love episode x+1.

I've little confidence of the BBCs support for the show. I've a lot of confidence in Moffat if the behind the scenes problems get sorted, and I like Matt.

I'm sure the Beeb will find new creative ways to wind us all up over the next year but short of putting the show on hiatus there's nothing I can think of that they could do to make me stop watching

Would a new Doctor push me out? - would depend on the actor(ess) and as usual I'd given the benefit of the doubt

Same for a change in showrunner

About the only thing that could exhaust my patience would be if they gave the writing over to one or two individuals who took away my hope for diamonds amongst the carbon
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good question !
    For me it would probably be a female Doctor or maybe a consistent run of episodes that left me thinking 'meh'..

Interestingly enough my 20 year old daughter hasn't watched Doctor Who for a couple of years now, although she loved watching 'Classic Who' and enjoyed Chris Eccleston and the first season of David Tennant's tenure.
    I did ask her why she didn't watch it any more and her response was that she'd "lost interest in it", as the stories weren't "very well thought through"..
    Make of that what you want ! :)
  • Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,107
    Forum Member
    Learning the Doctor's name :)
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    to summarise what keeps me tuning in I'd say "hope". The nature of the writing means that just because you think episode x stinks doesn't mean you won't love episode x+1.

I think this is a really good point! I think Doctor Who had always really been a bit hit and miss, even in the classic series but people were fans of the concept!

To quote Five: '<Doctor Who> is more than the sum of its parts!'
  • Options
    snakecharmer37snakecharmer37 Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    One thing has nearly turned me off Who for good, and that's Moffat. Can't stand him, or his so called vision for the show. The only saving grace was Matt Smith, and now Jenna Louise Coleman. When somebody else writes for Who, by in large, the episodes are good. IMHO of course. The only exception to that for me was, The rings of whatever.
    Considering all the hype this last episode has got, I just hope Moffat managed to take his head of his arse long enough to pull it off. If the majority don't like it, then there maybe trouble ahead. Especially for the anniversary.
  • Options
    mariegriffithsmariegriffiths Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    I hope he has to sacrifice one of his incarnations and companions in the 50th anniversary and chooses McCoy and Langford without a second thought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing has nearly turned me off Who for good, and that's Moffat. Can't stand him, or his so called vision for the show. The only saving grace was Matt Smith, and now Jenna Louise Coleman. When somebody else writes for Who, by in large, the episodes are good. IMHO of course. The only exception to that for me was, The rings of whatever.
    Considering all the hype this last episode has got, I just hope Moffat managed to take his head of his arse long enough to pull it off. If the majority don't like it, then there maybe trouble ahead. Especially for the anniversary.

Well, turns out we all love it! So that's that problem dealt with.:D