Options

Moving to London

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
Forum Member
Morning all, looking for some advice.

I am considering moving to London and would like to hear from anyone who has made a similar move. I am a primary teacher who has worked in Scotland however for the past few years have been working in schools abroad.

I have wanted to move to London for years and after a recent trip there decided to bite the bullet. What I am worried about is the Cost of living as have heard so many horror stories. I am on a good wage where I am so have managed to save a bit so far but is this a pipe dream?

Comments

• Options
    katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Accommodation is probably the most expensive outgoing, and it is higher than average. You need to do your research - look online for ideas about rent, whether it's living on your own or sharing. You'll get a good idea at the types of places you will be able to get for your money and areas. I would also research areas. Without knowing your budget, preferences and priorities, it' hard to give advice. I suppose it also depends on where you're working and whether you want to live close to it or commute. It's a bit of a balancing act.

Going out can also be a bit more pricey, but there are so many options that you can find bars, restaurants, takeaways, clubs to meet all budgets. I don't think food, clothes, utilitiy bills is necessarily more expensive - you'll have to shop around as you probably do now for the best deal.

Good luck!
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most people that work in London live outside London & commute in, it depends what your main motivation is for moving to London is
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on what sort of social life you want. I live outside of london on the east side, much cheaper and I can be in the city in 45 minutes by train. But I don't go out much in the evening due to kids. If you want to be socialable then it will be easier to be inside of london then. There are a wide range of prices for accomadation depending on the area. flatshare is probably the cheapest option. I am sure somebody can give guidelines on prices.
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know a few people who have managed to flatshare in London, however their rooms were tiny!
  • Options
    GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depending on what part of London you are moving to, but anything in Zone 2-3 is over-rated, you pay sky high prices for things that you can get cheaper else where. The only good thing about London is the West end as it has some nice art deco buildings. Your better off living in the surrounding counties and commuting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Most people that work in London live outside London & commute in, it depends what your main motivation is for moving to London is

Nonsense! So where do all the people who live in London work then?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scot_babe wrote: »
    Morning all, looking for some advice.

I am considering moving to London and would like to hear from anyone who has made a similar move. I am a primary teacher who has worked in Scotland however for the past few years have been working in schools abroad.

I have wanted to move to London for years and after a recent trip there decided to bite the bullet. What I am worried about is the Cost of living as have heard so many horror stories. I am on a good wage where I am so have managed to save a bit so far but is this a pipe dream?

What sort of budget do you think you could afford?

If you do live in London you will probably make more money in your job so it all has its pros and cons.
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »

Absolutely nonesical! I know plenty of people that live and work in London. I myself lived in London for 3 years whilst working there.
  • Options
    GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loubogroll wrote: »
    Nonsense! So where do all the people who live in London work then?

My gf lived in Finchley and worked in Watford

just one of the many people who live in London who choose to work outside London.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lived & worked in london some years ago ......

1. House prices are much higher (and mortgages of course).

2. If in flats, mostly that's Leasehold - with landlords - look very carefully at the Service Charges.

("cost of living allowance" does not really cover the London Difference in accomodation costs).

3, If commuting from outside London - instead of living in it - then you rely on Network Southeast railways, and a season ticket. Some routes are a lot better than others.

3. The Underground Railway system is horrible during rush hour - and unreliable much of the rest of the time (it never used to be, this results from privatisation). Avoid having to rely on the underground to get to/from work, if at all possible.

(if u can drive to work, with somewhere to park, that's great but usually not a "possible solution" for most people).

4. The general cost of living is not higher, council tax is comparable (with some exceptions, eg RIchmond), and for general shopping u have exactly the same chain stores ......
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Absolutely nonesical! I know plenty of people that live and work in London. I myself lived in London for 3 years whilst working there.

I think the poster meant outer London (zone 3-6) - where two thirds of Londoners live. No one can afford to live in zone 1 on a teachers salary - and only in zone 2 if they flat share.
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    I think the poster meant outer London (zone 3-6) - where two thirds of Londoners live. No one can afford to live in zone 1 on a teachers salary - and only in zone 2 if they flat share.

I lived in zone 1 in a house share when I was starting out on around 19k and know plenty of people that did a similar thing. 4 of my colleagues all live in zone 1 and work in zone 1 so it's not exactly uncommon.
  • Options
    ucra girlucra girl Posts: 19,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont know anything else.I have lived and worked in London-zone 3 for 20yrs on an NHS salary which is no different from a teacher's salary.I worked in zone1 for 11 yrs and not all travel to zone 1 is by the tube.Lots of buses service zone 1 from outer London and it is not as expensive.OP follow your heart and take the plunge,without taking the risk you will never know.The transport links are important but I am sure there will be a school to teach in nearby. You will also get inner London weighting on your salary if you work in zones 1&2 where I have always worked.