Best restaurant in London

2»

Comments

• turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    I've met jay Rayner a few times and he's a really lovely chap.

Those food critics are so far up themselves you can't see their feet, but each to their own.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those food critics are so far up themselves you can't see their feet, but each to their own.

They're told to be OTT for tv, it would be very boring if they all just sat around saying 'that was delicious' the whole time. He's a great chap off screen, really friendly and chatty, although we disagreed on what the best Indian restaurant in London was:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think much of The Ivy, nor Oxo tower.
    Have been the ivy one and Oxo twice.

I really like the Bleeding Heart (the restaurant, not the brasserie), its very intimate and slightly off the beaten track. We had our wedding reception there (crypt) so am admittedly slightly biased.. http://www.bleedingheart.co.uk/restaurant/

Will put thinking cap on for some others, but bleeding heart is my favourite London restaurant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know Scotts in Mayfair is Madonna and the Beckhams fave, but I havent been. It has veggie and meat but a lot of fish:
    http://www.scotts-restaurant.com/
  • barkingboybarkingboy Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    Handers wrote: »
    I've eaten at a lot of the restaurants mentioned above. I couldn't say enough about El Parador near Mornington Crescent station - it's perfect . . .

The Tapas place? Lovely in the summer when you can sit outside in their garden.
  • ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I think the Ivy & Oxo Tower are a bit crap.

The 3 Michelin stars around London are: the Fat Duck, Bray, the Waterside Inn, Bray, Gordon Ramsay in Chelsea & Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester.

My favourites are Scotts, Sheekey's, & Medlar in World's End. The latter is only 1 Michelin star, but it's delicious & very good value.
  • MsBehaviourMsBehaviour Posts: 5,532
    Forum Member
    Oxo Tower for me - not just the food, but the ambience and viewtoo.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP just in case you are from the country and are a bit provincial, I will warn you that you need to book.

Now I realise that you think you know what I mean, give them a call and say 'table for two tonight at eight please', but I mean book. So just call one and ask when you can go, see what they say. It will be a bit like trying to book at a hit musical.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I wanted to impress I'd go here

http://www.benaresrestaurant.com/
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    Le Gavroche has two stars. I personally wouldn't go anywhere near Gordon Ramsay's place.

Why not? It has got 3 stars, that and Alain Ducasse are the only ones in London.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Le Gavroche is very good. Zuma used to be excellent but has gone downhill. Personal favourites of mine are Pont De La Tour for great seafood and great views and The Orrery in Marlebone as it's a bit more casual.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't go to Gordon's place because I cannot stand the man. Michel Roux, on the other hand, is a gentleman.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't go to Gordon's place because I cannot stand the man. Michel Roux, on the other hand, is a gentleman.

Oh right. They were asking what was the best restaurant in London though.
    Forum Member
    barneyboy wrote: »
    I know Scotts in Mayfair is Madonna and the Beckhams fave, but I havent been. It has veggie and meat but a lot of fish:
    http://www.scotts-restaurant.com/

I have to say I was very disappointed with Scotts. Perhaps they were just having an off night.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Living in central London, and enjoying dining out I have taken my wife to many London restaurants.
    It is true, a great deal depends on your taste, (no pun intended), your budget, and what you are looking for.
    Zuma is a nice restaurant, in a good location, but is inundated with footballers and WAGS, plus on your exit you will be deluged with unlicensed minicab touts plucking your sleeve.
    The Ivy, (only went once), is a definite no-no, full of provincial once a year diners oohing and aahing at Z list celebrities.
    Hakkasan, (sorry Raquelos), is a Chinese restaurant, not Indian, but it serves memorable food.
    Oxo is full of pretentious prats wishing that they were in the Ivy, being served by sneering waiters who think that they are on a par with Parisian sneering waiters, but falling woefully short.
    It has a nice view of the river and Blackfriars bridge, but if you really want a good view of London, go to Paramount at the top of Centre Point, you'll have a 360 deg. panoramic view of London from the 32nd. floor.
    The Bleeding Heart is well worth a visit, but the wine list is a tad over-priced.
    The Painted Heron in Cheyne Walk, Chelsea, is a delight if you like Indian.
    But to mind, Murano in Queen St. Mayfair, the Pont de la Tour, and Tentazione in Butlers Wharf by Tower Bridge are by a country mile the best places to go for excellent food.
    Of course, this is just our opinion, to each his own.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh right. They were asking what was the best restaurant in London though.

No, I hadn't realised. I did say, I PERSONALLY, couldn't stand Gordon Ramsay and I did say I thought the best restaurant is Le Gavroche.
    Forum Member
    Living in central London, and enjoying dining out I have taken my wife to many London restaurants.
    It is true, a great deal depends on your taste, (no pun intended), your budget, and what you are looking for.
    Zuma is a nice restaurant, in a good location, but is inundated with footballers and WAGS, plus on your exit you will be deluged with unlicensed minicab touts plucking your sleeve.
    The Ivy, (only went once), is a definite no-no, full of provincial once a year diners oohing and aahing at Z list celebrities.
    Hakkasan, (sorry Raquelos), is a Chinese restaurant, not Indian, but it serves memorable food.
    Oxo is full of pretentious prats wishing that they were in the Ivy, being served by sneering waiters who think that they are on a par with Parisian sneering waiters, but falling woefully short.
    It has a nice view of the river and Blackfriars bridge, but if you really want a good view of London, go to Paramount at the top of Centre Point, you'll have a 360 deg. panoramic view of London from the 32nd. floor.
    The Bleeding Heart is well worth a visit, but the wine list is a tad over-priced.
    But to mind, Murano in Queen St. Mayfair, the Pont de la Tour, and Tentazione in Butlers Wharf by Tower Bridge are by a country mile the best places to go for excellent food.

The team behind there have a place called Roka in Canary Wharf which is pretty good and bit less pricey.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another Galvin place La Chapelle

Lovely atmosphere and surroundings, superb service and the food is exquisite.

Gordon Ramsay @ Claridges

Marcus Wareing @ The Berkeley

Le Pont de la Tour

In my opinion, The Ivy is over rated as is The Oxo Tower.

Last years Michelin star winners
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,881
    Forum Member
    Last restaurant I went to was Simpsons in the Strand. Wonderful food, very traditional, brilliant service, in beautiful surroundings. Do have their roast beef: it is exquisite.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sophloz wrote: »
    Last restaurant I went to was Simpsons in the Strand. Wonderful food, very traditional, brilliant service, in beautiful surroundings. Do have their roast beef: it is exquisite.

Yes, I've been there with work (it's always nicer when someone else is paying) and had a great time. Proper traditional food with excellent service.
  • Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP - as others have said it really depends on what kind of cuisine/atmosphere you are after, but if you like posh without all the surrounding bullshit/WAGS etc, I can highly recommend Tamarind in Mayfair.

Beautiful food, and the waiters won't fuss over you like vultures pretending you're Posh & Becks.

I once had a perfectly good meal in a posh French restaurant somewhere along Piccadilly ruined by a pack of 3-4 waiters constantly hovering over the tables, filling up (already full) glasses of water and (already full) glasses of wine every three seconds.
    I had to stop one of them in their tracks by saying "Yes I am FULLY fully happy and my glass is still full as well, merci bien." They left us alone after that.

Of course if being fussed over to such an extent is your idea of a perfect restaurant, maybe I should post their details :D

As for "the" best restaurant in London - there is no answer to that, the choice is too diverse. Personally I would not mind trying out the Savoy one day.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member

LOL just read this and went whaaa, then looked at what I had put and :o doh, I had put Indian when I meant Chinese, sorry OP that's posting too much info for you!! Thanks Jean-Francois for picking up on it. It is however very good indeed :)
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anyone tried Sushi Samba at Heron Tower yet? Probably trading more on the view than the food, but I'm intrigued....

http://sushisamba.com/location/london