Out of stock item advertised as in stock

PenelopePopcornPenelopePopcorn Posts: 306
Forum Member
I purchased a garden swing seat online last Thursday. The swing was advertised as 'in stock' and delivery was advertised as next day if purchased before 3 pm. So I waited in all the next day for the swing - which never arrived.

I rang the company this morning to be told it was out of stock and they wouldn't be getting any more in and would refund my money but I'd have to wait 3 - 5 days for the money to be in my account. The company had taken the money (£249.99) out of my account as soon as I made the order.

They didn't let me know it was out of stock and if I hadn't phoned them this morning I'd probably be still waiting for the delivery.

The swing is still being advertised on their website as being in stock with next day delivery so who knows how many other people are placing their orders for it.

Any idea who I can make an official complaint to or are companies allowed to mislead people in this way?

Comments

• scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can complain to the company.

What would you want to achieve from a complaint?
  • PenelopePopcornPenelopePopcorn Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    I'd like them to stop advertising goods that aren't available. To stop misleading people.

I waited in all day on Friday for my 'next day delivery' of something that wasn't even in stock. I wonder how many other people have had or are presently having the same experience. They are still advertising the item as being in stock and available for next day delivery at the moment.

I'm also annoyed that they are taking people's money for something they can't provide. It could be a scam for all I know.
  • KosciuskoKosciusko Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    I purchased a garden swing seat online last Thursday. The swing was advertised as 'in stock' and delivery was advertised as next day if purchased before 3 pm. So I waited in all the next day for the swing - which never arrived.

I rang the company this morning to be told it was out of stock and they wouldn't be getting any more in and would refund my money but I'd have to wait 3 - 5 days for the money to be in my account. The company had taken the money (£249.99) out of my account as soon as I made the order.

They didn't let me know it was out of stock and if I hadn't phoned them this morning I'd probably be still waiting for the delivery.

The swing is still being advertised on their website as being in stock with next day delivery so who knows how many other people are placing their orders for it.

Any idea who I can make an official complaint to or are companies allowed to mislead people in this way?

I suppose you could write to them, telling them your going to invoice them £25 for wasted time, if they don't want to pay this, then you may go to the small claims court

I would like to see what sort of reaction people would get
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I were you I'd put it down to experience, and avoid using the company again.

You might want to warn other people and name the company?
  • KosciuskoKosciusko Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    I purchased a garden swing seat online last Thursday.

Peter_CJ wrote: »
    You might want to warn other people and name the company?

Its not Argos by any chance
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Put post on their FB page. I find companies are much swifter to take action when any complaint is aired in public.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like them to stop advertising goods that aren't available. To stop misleading people.

I waited in all day on Friday for my 'next day delivery' of something that wasn't even in stock. I wonder how many other people have had or are presently having the same experience. They are still advertising the item as being in stock and available for next day delivery at the moment.

I'm also annoyed that they are taking people's money for something they can't provide. It could be a scam for all I know.
    To clarify, are you saying you got a confirmed delivery date of the next day, with a reference/ invoice number or something?

I'm no legal beagle, but I suppose the company could claim that not updating the website was a simple oversight and they'll correct it asap (which they probably won't, but it may fob you off) and refund you now they're aware of it, however surely there must be something un-lawful in taking your money, checking the stock and still promising delivery even when you know you have no stock?

Incidentally, name and shame. If you want the company to take action and stop them misleading others, why protect them?
    Forum Member
    Thank you Vast Girth - I've put my complaint on their FB page now along with a photo of the item as it is at present on their website - in stock with next day delivery.

I did get an email confirming purchase and saying this about delivery ...

'Anticipated delivery time is stated in the product description on the website '

Anyway, I'll wait and see if the post on their FB page is taken notice of and I'll check from time to time to see how long they continue to advertise the item (and who knows how many other items) as 'in stock with next day delivery'.

The company I'm referring to is called Primrose and its a home and garden products company.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you Vast Girth - I've put my complaint on their FB page now along with a photo of the item as it is at present on their website - in stock with next day delivery.

'Anticipated delivery time is stated in the product description on the website '

Anyway, I'll wait and see if the post on their FB page is taken notice of and I'll check from time to time to see how long they continue to advertise the item (and who knows how many other items) as 'in stock with next day delivery'.

The company I'm referring to is called Primrose and its a home and garden products company.

you had no confirmed delivery date, so waiting in all day was your mistake i'm afraid.
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This may or may not bother you, but you should at least be aware that, given the info you've posted above, pretty much anyone can now go on and look at the 'real you' on facebook....
  • DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've used them in the past and they were very efficient, perhaps you were just unlucky or they are experiencing some minor problem that led to a mix up
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm wondering why you've put your complaint onto the Facebook page rather than complaining directly to the company in writing?
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    I'm wondering why you've put your complaint onto the Facebook page rather than complaining directly to the company in writing?

it`s what i do, it`s often the only way to get a response from some companies and it`s quicker.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's their 'official' Fb page (as opposed to a fan site), then that's precisely what the OP's done. Just as 'business' has changed the way it interacts with its customers, so customers have changed the way we interact with business. Any company that doesn't want bad customer experiences posted on its Fb page shouldn't have one. Or, just don't deliver bad customer service.
    Forum Member

It wouldn't have occurred to me to complain via FB until Vast Girth mentioned it and I see it as being as good a way as any to make a complaint.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member

It really does work a lot better. From experience companies which take several days to get back to you via the standard customer service, reply within an hour when you post your issue on their FB page, normally resolving the issue in a nicer way as well.

The only exception i have found to this so far is Sports Direct who delete negative posts from FB (as well as negative reviews from the website)
    Forum Member
    They've posted an apology to me, said they've initiated a refund and updated their site. I've just checked and their site hasn't been updated at all. Oh well :(
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    You have had an apology i would leave it now, Maybe they have a fault with the site, Maybe you are viewing a cached version of the site
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just put their address into google maps, and the satellite view shows that it's a medium sized unit on an industrial estate. Bearing in mind the kind of products they are selling, and their limited storage space, chances are they don’t stock larger items there, but take the money and place an order with the suppliers. Which would explain their hit and miss way of working.

Most reputable companies don't action the charge until the time of despatch.
  • chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    This may or may not bother you, but you should at least be aware that, given the info you've posted above, pretty much anyone can now go on and look at the 'real you' on facebook....

It's OK, Linda doesn't mind us having a look at her fb page!:o
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have experienced a situation, when ordering an item for my boxers online, where the item was listed as being in stock. Even though the time period was not up, I usually received my items quite quickly, so contacted the company. I explained when told they didn't have the item in stock that, had I known this, I would have ordered elsewhere, as I needed it. My problem was, the website still stated it as being in stock. Apparently, another company employee told me, the item is in stock with the supplier, but is not in their warehouse, as the supplier hasn't made it available to them. This could have happened in your case.
  • spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I too have had this problem and it was infuriating so I can empathize, OP. I managed to get a refund and will never use the company again. You do feel as if you have been ripped off though and it shouldn't be allowed to happen. What if someone needs the item as a gift? What if they are short of cash and the money is being "held up" so can't be used?

These money grabbing companies make me mad.
    Forum Member
    It's OK, Linda doesn't mind us having a look at her fb page!:o

As you can see, I'm just a boring suburban housewife :(

And half of my FB friends are people I've never met anyway.

I might make some new friends now ... :D
    Forum Member
    spotty_cat wrote: »
    I too have had this problem and it was infuriating so I can empathize, OP. I managed to get a refund and will never use the company again. You do feel as if you have been ripped off though and it shouldn't be allowed to happen. What if someone needs the item as a gift? What if they are short of cash and the money is being "held up" so can't be used?

These money grabbing companies make me mad.

I was so happy at the thought of having the swing at the weekend and it took me ages to find one I really liked. I'll have to start looking again now.

PS - it's still on their website advertised as 'in stock' and 'next day delivery' :(

http://www.primrose.co.uk/palma-swing-seat-seater-with-autumn-leaf-cushions-p-41646.html?src=products_image
  • ImpingerImpinger Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could always complain to the Avertising Standards Authority. If a company is advertising something in stock, taking your money, then saying not in stock and isn't going to be, then it's misleading to the consumer especially since the company is still advertising it as available.