Options

Hostages (Israeli TV series) on BBC4 from this Saturday

Comments

• Options
    humanracerhumanracer Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    But it would be noticed and would be very odd behaviour that no doubt would come under intense scrutiny in the event of the PMs death.

The plot in both versions is highly improbable. You will enjoy it more if you embrace that. It is a matter of taste of course.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds worth checking out then!

Seems cheap of the Beeb to no longer repeat these first-run imports when instead they're plugging the late night gaps with Wallander re-runs. Spiral deserved a late-night mid-week repeat as it's had before but I guess this another decision that makes sense only to the beancounters.
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yes!!!

I really enjoyed this. The time just flew by!

Looking forward to next week!
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    There were 4 balaclava types in the car but only 3 went into the house right??
    there were 4 initially, one for each of the kids, plus 2 gunmen for the parents but there did only seem to be three of them in subsequent scenes (unless two of them were twins!).

K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    capekdeh wrote: »
    Really enjoyed it. This is the first time I watch an Israeli tv series. Brilliant!
    you should try to find "Hatufim" (the Israeli inspiration for Homeland), only two series (so far) but it dealt with the families much more than Homeland did and as a result was, IMO, a much better drama (although s1 of Homeland was arguably the better thriller...)

it was shown on Sky Arts over here, you might be able to find out if there are any plans to repeat it?

K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overall impressions were good, but it did remind me of s1 of "24"....

K
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very enjoyable. Lots of suspense. Shame the episodes are only 40 mins long.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    humanracer wrote: »
    The plot in both versions is highly improbable. You will enjoy it more if you embrace that. It is a matter of taste of course.
    Thanks. I don't usually enjoy things which are too improbable or unrealistic. I like SciFi as long as they stick to the rules they have created and don't bend them too much.
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davie1924 wrote: »
    Fair enjoyed that - will be tuning in again next week!!

Us as well

(Watching on catch up on Sunday afternoon, as we're likely to doze off on Sat night :blush:)
  • Options
    Terry.RTerry.R Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    willow32 wrote: »
    I refused to watch the remake in the hope someone would buy the original. Well done BBC4.

If I only had your foresight and patience. The remake was so bad that it's leaving a bad impression on the original.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't bother having watched the US remake so recently. Wish I had waited now, this sounds a lot better.
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't bother having watched the US remake so recently. Wish I had waited now, this sounds a lot better.

Both episodes are on the iplayer. I didn't bother watching but now that people seem impressed and the episodes are short I'll give it a go.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both episodes are on the iplayer. I didn't bother watching but now that people seem impressed and the episodes are short I'll give it a go.

Yes, I might give it a try. But the remake is still quite fresh in the memory..could be interesting to compare the two series though.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I though it was average.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    triple bill next week...burning it off?

K
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    I'm enjoying it :-)
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aha! I've been looking for this thread and thinking no one was watching.
    It's very gripping and beautifully acted. I also have a soft spot for one of the terrorists who is a Nice Man and quite hot.
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    allie4 wrote: »
    Aha! I've been looking for this thread and thinking no one was watching.
    It's very gripping and beautifully acted. I also have a soft spot for one of the terrorists who is a Nice Man and quite hot.

Glad you've found us ;-)
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    triple bill next week...burning it off?

K

Two other possibilities:

1) Maybe they are making space for some sort of special night of progamming

or

2) The final episode is double length
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Two other possibilities:

1) Maybe they are making space for some sort of special night of progamming

or

2) The final episode is double length

ep 5/6/7 next week
    then presumably 8/9/10 the week after so 2 x 3 episodes rather than 3x2?

but i am enjoying it, the second episode flew by!

K
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed last weeks, watched last night and fell asleep and missed the second episode.

IPlayer here I come.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyable fare, you just knew the soldier boyfriend was going to do something reckless.

Triple bill next week is stretching things a bit esp with no repeats.
  • Options
    sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,962
    Forum Member
    Wasn't expecting much of this but I'm enjoying it.
  • Options
    humanracerhumanracer Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad people are enjoying it.

It is worth sticking with for the following reasons (no spoilers):

1. The big “reveal”, which happens three quarters of the way through in the US version, occurs in the final episode. The Israeli version requires you to work it out based on the clues given whereas the US version basically just spells it out.

2. The ending is ambigous enough to leave open the possibility of a second season, altough most of the plot threads are nicely tidied up. No second season is planned at the moment.

3. Those who have also seen the US version might be interested to know that this series has a different conclusion and one that you might find very satisfying.
  • Options
    Mr CellophaneMr Cellophane Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    humanracer wrote: »
    Glad people are enjoying it.

It is worth sticking with for the following reasons (no spoilers):

1. The big “reveal”, which happens three quarters of the way through in the US version, occurs in the final episode. The Israeli version requires you to work it out based on the clues given whereas the US version basically just spells it out.

2. The ending is ambigous enough to leave open the possibility of a second season, altough most of the plot threads are nicely tidied up. No second season is planned at the moment.

3. Those who have also seen the US version might be interested to know that this series has a different conclusion and one that you might find very satisfying.

Oh good.
    At the moment I prefer the US version, as I thought the chemistry between Toni Colette and the lead 'baddy' was great, whereas the lead 'baddy' in this version is pretty bland.