Eurovision 2015 - The UK entry...

Comments

• zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC said they invited people to submit songs so does that mean established acts could have sumbitted songs or is it just up and coming talents
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone could have put forward a song, they contacted record companies too as well as acts from BBC Introducing inviting them to submit songs
  • Steven_PSteven_P Posts: 12,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    Anyone could have put forward a song, they contacted record companies too as well as acts from BBC Introducing inviting them to submit songs

I really like this approach as it focuses on the song rather than a name. A big name might submit a song and its the right one, or an unknown. What matyers is your not stuvk eiyhs name and a good dong they can't proform to well, 2013, or with a name and s dodgy song 2010.
    if there is one song that really stands out why risk it with a national final with other songs and have a misunderstanding public vote through the wrong one.
    And they are keeping us informed. I happy at the moment, of course things might change when i hear it
  • KozmicBluesKozmicBlues Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steven_P wrote: »
    I really like this approach as it focuses on the song rather than a name. A big name might submit a song and its the right one, or an unknown. What matyers is your not stuvk eiyhs name and a good dong they can't proform to well, 2013, or with a name and s dodgy song 2010.
    if there is one song that really stands out why risk it with a national final with other songs and have a misunderstanding public vote through the wrong one.
    And they are keeping us informed. I happy at the moment, of course things might change when i hear it

Well that'd certainly see us hit the Top 10!
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It didn't help Krista or Dana International
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like a good ole dong /pervface.
  • da33431da33431 Posts: 48,902
    Forum Member
    *speechless*
  • mattwmattw Posts: 1,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steven_P wrote: »
    I really like this approach as it focuses on the song rather than a name. A big name might submit a song and its the right one, or an unknown. [...] why risk it with a national final with other songs and have a misunderstanding public vote through the wrong one.

To be honest the approach of using BBC Introducing, picking songs without a public vote, getting someone uber-great at songwriting to specifically write a Eurovision song all haven't won us the Grand Prix in recent years and neither did we when in the not too distant past when we had a national final.

Personally I think let's just have the national final as it would be another hour of enjoyable tv.

We can all plan how we get the winning song or why a song wins Eurovision, but ultimately one year we'll stumble upon a song that sounds pretty good and just happens to be lucky and the rest of Europe think so too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that'd certainly see us hit the Top 10!

Would you believe me if i said it was an honest typo? And ive no idea what the previous typo was supposed to be. I'll blane the kepad not my in ability to type and pre read.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattw wrote: »
    We can all plan how we get the winning song or why a song wins Eurovision, but ultimately one year we'll stumble upon a song that sounds pretty good and just happens to be lucky and the rest of Europe think so too.

You wonder quite how far away that year is, though.
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    You wonder quite how far away that year is, though.

But I guess Austria thought the same.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DamienS wrote: »

Yep, hope springs eternal.
  • tamibecketttamibeckett Posts: 5,261
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure that the BBC even wants to win. I think they'll be satisfied with a Top 10 finish and see it as a job well done.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DamienS wrote: »

Austria hadn't produced an international hit since Falco over 30 years ago. We are the biggest pop nation in Europe. We shouldn't have to wait years 'to stumble upon a song that sounds quite good'. The Swedes, Germans, Norwegians etc don't take that approach. Where's our ambition and drive? We're not useless old Portugal! (yet)
  • Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like the Beeb to give us some little facts about the act on the days leading up to the reveal. But I suppose that takes some of the fun out of it. Unless they say something like, "They've been in the same room as Tom Jones." What singer hasn't?
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is our song chosen these days?

I remember when I was young they used to pick an artist and then broadcast a show where the artist sang 6 songs then there was a public vote. After that we had different singers with different songs and now ? .....some sort of secret vote.

It's not a bad idea to choose a good professional singer and then have a vote but you've got to have a bunch of songs that really suit the artist. In the days where we used to vote for the 'act' and the song some real stinkers got chosen.

While I would agree that the public don't always pick the best song in a vote I'm not sure I like this 'behind closed doors' approach. It hasn't paid off so far.

The BBC wastes money on 'The Voice' (a karaoke show I really dislike) when instead they could have a really good song contest with singer songwriters showcasing good original material. Why don't they do this instead?
  • kthulhukthulhu Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Our most recent highest-placing act - Jade Ewen - was chosen with a public vote.

Interestingly though, the song itself wasn't chosen - just the singer, and that was it. I think the music for the song was in place already, with ALW wanting to write a suitable set of lyrics for the singer chosen.

Well, that's how I remember it anyway :)

Personally I'm fine with public voting, but ONLY if the beeb can resist including some dumb novelty songs/acts amongst the lineup of more serious fare...because invariably the silly stuff is what will get picked, sadly.
  • Shar_dsShar_ds Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi kthulhu, good first post!
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattw wrote: »
    To be honest the approach of using BBC Introducing, picking songs without a public vote, getting someone uber-great at songwriting to specifically write a Eurovision song all haven't won us the Grand Prix in recent years and neither did we when in the not too distant past when we had a national final.

Personally I think let's just have the national final as it would be another hour of enjoyable tv.

Yes, we've had four internal selections in a row from the BBC and not one of those four has gotten near the top 10 in the final : it's not really good enough from one of the biggest broadcasters in Europe and the home of the largest music industry. Was last year's entry that good really? Got to #23 in the UK and flopped in the main around Europe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one thing that does annoy me with the whole "the public can't be trusted" argument is that they will only pick a crap song if the bbc had put a crap song into the selection for them to pick. If all songsput in to the selection were roughly as good as each other , and for six songs that's not too hard of an ask, then they would have quality to choose from. But having one song the bbc obviously wanted to put through and others to fill... if the public didn't want the one th ebbc did or it happened to be a bad proformance on the night night you get stuck with one of the others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kthulhu wrote: »
    Our most recent highest-placing act - Jade Ewen - was chosen with a public vote.

Interestingly though, the song itself wasn't chosen - just the singer .

even more interesting was that Jade was parachuted in at the last minute when the initial favourite pulled out... a certain Rita Ora
  • Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    even more interesting was that Jade was parachuted in at the last minute when the initial favourite pulled out... a certain Rita Ora

Rita Ora for Eurovision 2015 ;)
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when do we find out
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Yes, we've had four internal selections in a row from the BBC and not one of those four has gotten near the top 10 in the final : it's not really good enough from one of the biggest broadcasters in Europe and the home of the largest music industry. Was last year's entry that good really? Got to #23 in the UK and flopped in the main around Europe.

well to be fair Blue were only one place short of the top ten... but i totally agree with your general point.: our performance this last decade or so has been pitiful. Here's hoping this time next week we'll be excited about what we're sending this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when do we find out

6 days time..after The Voice.