Options

Big Brother 17 USA pre-season discussion - show begins Wednesday 24 June 2015.

InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
Forum Member
Kicking off CBS’ summer slate, Big Brother returns for Season 17 on Wednesday, June 24, at 8 pm. (The reality series will also air Thursdays and Sundays.)
http://tvline.com/2015/02/26/cbs-summer-schedule-2015-big-brother-premiere-date/

I wonder if they're planning to do the two night opener again? Seems odd to have it on Wednesday and Thursday week one if not.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    http://tvline.com/2015/02/26/cbs-summer-schedule-2015-big-brother-premiere-date/

I wonder if they're planning to do the two night opener again? Seems odd to have it on Wednesday and Thursday week one if not.

I thought it said so in the press statement. Maybe it was assumed though...
  • Options
    Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    Hope it is all newbies again; no all stars
  • Options
    k0213818k0213818 Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    Hope it is all newbies again; no all stars

Wouldn't surprise me if it was Allstars since the last two series have done so much damage, 15 through Aaryn and Amanda and 16 through being some of the most dull television ever created.
  • Options
    ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, this has come around fast. I'm still trying to wake myself up from the last series...

Can't say I'm excited for this; all US series that I've watched have been a flop.

BB12 - boring and predictable; Britney, Ragan, Brendan and Rachel were idiots with their game moves. It looked like it was getting interesting when they got Matt out, but no, it soon flatlined. However, it's the best series since there was very little manipulation from behind the scenes.

BB13 - absolutely brilliant until final six. Producers spat their dummies out because the house got flipped and suddenly the "all stars" were dropping like flies. The team of Daniele/Kalia/Porsche was epic and Shelley's shocking backstab LIVE on TV was fantastic; up until that point, I really disliked her and thought her game play was cowardly (hiding behind Jeff and Jordan) but after that move she earned my respect and I thought it was a great move and perfectly timed. Producers hated her for it and completely ruined her game (which also saved Rachel and Jordan so win/win for them). Fantastic series up until the final six where it just became a complete joke; so infuriating to dedicate so much time to a series only to have the producers impact it so much at the end. What's the point of us giving up our time if they're just going to choose the winner anyway? >:(>:(>:(

BB14 - such a boring series, for me. Didn't rate Ian, Dan doesn't interest me, Janelle left early and her heart clearly wasn't in it, they rigged it about 254 times for Frank to remain in the game, thus ruining Britney's game eventually... Don't even get me started on the all floaters/non-gamers/useless people. Then there was Danielle, probably the most annoying, stupid person ever to play the game. How many times can one be "shocked" and "upset" at Dan's game play? Cast of unlikeable and forgettable players.

BB15 - only likeable person was Elissa. The three biggest players leaving one after the other (Aaryn, Amanda, Elissa) and all the 'good guys' leaving one by one (Judd, Jessie, Candice, Helen, Howard). The good guys all left for a reason; crap at the game, but still better to cheer them on than the racist morons. Despite Elissa being one of very few houseguests to root for that series, it's very obvious she got lots of information on the game in the DR. Although, despite such obvious rigging for her, the producers didn't even try to help her stay when she was evicted; the two people who were potentially her allies at that point (McCrae and Judd) both won the HoH and Veto and yet neither kept her safe and both chose to evict her instead. Just an awful series full of dumbos, apart from Amanda who ran the house; shame she was a thoroughly unpleasant person.

BB16 - my goodness, I was praying for BB15 to come back and that really is saying something. House full of ABSOLUTE IDIOTS!! Stupid twists, transparent rigging (what's new?!) and live feed was a complete BORE. Any time someone tried to make a move, it was stopped almost immediately. HoH announced, conversation with their closest ally about plans of nominations and eviction - and it would happen as smooth as that. The only time we had a bit of an upset was a (dodgy) last minute save for Zach. Except that, the evictee was all but confirmed every night the new HoH was crowned!

Despite my ranting, I'll be watching BB17 for the sake of it, but my expectations are so low, clearly. I expect more manipulation and more stupid players, but please, please, please, make sure there's no dull live feed! I could barely watch BB16 for more than an hour a day; shockingly bad :o
  • Options
    Shine_OnShine_On Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the format of the US series, probably more than I like the UK format. But the seasons I've watched have gone from bad to worse - from season 14 to the last one that was absolutely dire.

It seems like every series has great potential and then they inexplicably ruin it with inane twists, blatant favouritism and producer manipulation. It's mental.

So I'm probably not even bothering with this one and just sticking with Canada.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    k0213818 wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me if it was Allstars since the last two series have done so much damage, 15 through Aaryn and Amanda and 16 through being some of the most dull television ever created.

Yet if everyone disliked the last few seasons which all stars will return because they used all their best options with 13 and 14

Plus just think if they do a all stars they will bring back Frank and rig it for him to win again :o
  • Options
    molly nogginmolly noggin Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just popping in to disagree with almost everything that's been said. Along with some 6 million American viewers, I still enjoy every season of BB USA and can't wait for the next one. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just popping in to disagree with almost everything that's been said. Along with some 6 million American viewers, I still enjoy every season of BB USA and can't wait for the next one. :cool:

What's ratings got to do with it? Just because a show holds onto viewers doesn't mean the quality never dips.

There's a difference between enjoying a series and watching out of habit/being a loyal viewer. I hated BB16 but stuck with it. I didn't "enjoy" it, so who's to say the six million American's enjoyed it? All that it tells us is that they WATCHED it, but it doesn't tell us how they FELT about it. However, search the web and read up on the series and you'll find many didn't enjoy it. Facebook, Twitter, DS, Jokers, all the BB blogs/updates out there... people complained about it everywhere - very few positive comments about the series. THAT is something which is much more accurate when trying to gauge the general feeling of a series, much more so than how many people tuned in to watch it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BB16 was a borefest, there's no arguing against that. You just have to watch the best seasons to see how much potential a good cast and strategy has on the series. BB16 lacked most of that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BB16 was a borefest, there's no arguing against that. You just have to watch the best seasons to see how much potential a good cast and strategy has on the series. BB16 lacked most of that.

The first two Canadian series have been better than any of their series that I've watched (BB12-16). If you want to see how the format is suppose to work, follow the CA version. For pure manipulation, stupid players and several new laptops after you continuously bash them in out of frustration, watch the US version.

It speaks volumes when 'new' viewers are advised to go as far back as BB6 to see how much potential the format has.

The houseguests ARE the show - it's the most important bit that they need to get right. Get that right, and everything else falls into place. So, sack the casting team (if it's stayed the same throughout the last couple of years) and start casting BOLD characters who have their own mind. Easier said than done, I know, but these people are paid to make the auditionees jump through hoops and weed out anyone 'playing' a character in their audition.

For example, I'm not buying that they thought Victoria would be a good player. A few questions into asking her about her game at the audition and it would've been obvious she wasn't going to set the series alight. If they stopped focusing on ticking boxes and casting opposites to (try to) make them clash by simply casting the best personalities, maybe the show would start to improve...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reserved wrote: »
    The first two Canadian series have been better than any of their series that I've watched (BB12-16). If you want to see how the format is suppose to work, follow the CA version. For pure manipulation, stupid players and several new laptops after you continuously bash them in out of frustration, watch the US version.

It speaks volumes when 'new' viewers are advised to go as far back as BB6 to see how much potential the format has.

The houseguests ARE the show - it's the most important bit that they need to get right. Get that right, and everything else falls into place. So, sack the casting team (if it's stayed the same throughout the last couple of years) and start casting BOLD characters who have their own mind. Easier said than done, I know, but these people are paid to make the auditionees jump through hoops and weed out anyone 'playing' a character in their audition.

For example, I'm not buying that they thought Victoria would be a good player. A few questions into asking her about her game at the audition and it would've been obvious she wasn't going to set the series alight. If they stopped focusing on ticking boxes and casting opposites to (try to) make them clash by simply casting the best personalities, maybe the show would start to improve...

I've never really thought about it, but I think you're right with the above statement in bold. I wasn't completely blown away by BBCA S1, but it was still better I admit.
  • Options
    molly nogginmolly noggin Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's ratings got to do with it? Just because a show holds onto viewers doesn't mean the quality never dips.

There's a difference between enjoying a series and watching out of habit/being a loyal viewer. I hated BB16 but stuck with it. I didn't "enjoy" it, so who's to say the six million American's enjoyed it? All that it tells us is that they WATCHED it, but it doesn't tell us how they FELT about it. However, search the web and read up on the series and you'll find many didn't enjoy it. Facebook, Twitter, DS, Jokers, all the BB blogs/updates out there... people complained about it everywhere - very few positive comments about the series. THAT is something which is much more accurate when trying to gauge the general feeling of a series, much more so than how many people tuned in to watch it.
    Well I certainly didn't claim that "the quality never dips" though that is, of course, a subjective matter. And goodness knows I made plenty of negative comments myself online about the last couple of seasons. Like, I suspect, many others, I am far more likely to comment when I want to complain about something.

But, given that only a tiny percentage of those six million viewers comment online at all, you can't seriously argue that they are a more accurate gauge of how people feel about any given season and I'd dispute that you can you can deduce from complaints on social media that viewers aren't engaged and enjoying it on the whole.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    I agree with everyone talking about the borefest that was BB16, I think it's probably the worst one they've done. I thought BB15 was bad until I watched that pile of crap.

Just 3 weeks to go :D

I'm expecting newbies again now, with the show being this close if it were anything else I think we would have heard a leak or two by now?
  • Options
    3rd World Disco3rd World Disco Posts: 22,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    I agree with everyone talking about the borefest that was BB16, I think it's probably the worst one they've done. I thought BB15 was bad until I watched that pile of crap.

I guess I would have to agree seeing how long it just took me to remember a single detail about it. :blush:

Derrick, Frankie and Zach. I thought it was watchable until Derrick's win was sealed in stone. Unfortunately this happened relatively early on.
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think BB12 was the worst season. It was the most boring ever even for the edited TV episodes. Hayden was a nice guy though and a good winner. At least on BB16 we got some characters in Zach / Donny / Nicole / Frankie / Christine / Derrick. Plus, a decent winner IMO.

Just we need drama and a twist that is actually effective in breaking up the huge alliances that the new versions of BB USA seem to build.

No returning players for me, unless it's another all stars season.

EDIT - I put Christine because she was so hated she got an iconic moment in BB USA history getting entire boo's from the audience :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Producers have pressure this year for a strong female cast considering the complaints they've got. BB Canada have always delivered on this where as BB USA seems to want to focus on the attractive shirtless males to win the game.

Last year's female cast, minus Nicole where an embarrassment to the BB community.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    Producers have pressure this year for a strong female cast considering the complaints they've got. BB Canada have always delivered on this where as BB USA seems to want to focus on the attractive shirtless males to win the game.

Last year's female cast, minus Nicole where an embarrassment to the BB community.

But Nicole was an embarrassment as well, she ****ed up her HoH and then when returned all she did was moan.

If anything this years Canadian female houseguests were and embarrassment also
  • Options
    Shin AkumaShin Akuma Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    It's a two-night premiere; possibly half the HGs going in the first night and the other half going in the second night. There's speculation that it's going to be pairs of people who know each other, a la BB6. Possibly family members.

Also there's speculation that one of the HGs is a set of male triplets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Nicole was an embarrassment as well, she ****ed up her HoH and then when returned all she did was moan.

Agree about Nicole. Problem was she was the best by a clear mile out the females on BB16. She did screw it all up though because of Cody / Derrick. Just pathetic.

Disagree with the other comment, yes the HG on BBCAN3 where all bad players but Brittnee / Sarah did do the best on the season so it was a successful year for the female players. If anything, the men of BBCAN3 where an embarrassment.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm soooo looking forward to its return as they will have to pull our all the big guns for this season.

I've a feeling we may have a couple of ex houseguests that the public may have to vote in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree about Nicole but disagree about the female cast of BBCA3. The first couple of weeks was pretty awful for the females, but Brittnee and Sarah soon go their stuff together, Ashleigh pulled off some impressive wins at the end, Sindy was always a comp beast... The only females that sucked were Willow and Pilar.

Looking at the stats only, the females in BBCA have done far better than the females in BBUS.

Canada:
    Series 1: 50% in final four were female. Top Female: Jillian - winner.
    Series 2: 75% in final four were female. Top Female: Sabrina - second place.
    Series 3: 75% in final four were female. Top Female: Sarah - winner.

US:
    Series 14: 25% in final four were female. Top Female: Danielle - third place.
    Series 15: 25% in final four were female. Top Female: GinaMarie - second place.
    Series 16: 25% in final four were female. Top Female: Victoria - third place.

If you go even further than final four, the stats are much more impressive for BBCA, especially for series two and three.

I'm not saying CA are perfect when it comes to female casting, but they're so much better than US.
  • Options
    zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    I hope we get some iconic players this year, after the abysmal BB canada and BB uk i need some good big brother.
  • Options
    troynuncdicittroynuncdicit Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    I don't care about Nicole that much and I don't think she's an amazing player by any means, but Battle of the Block screwed her (or any woman, really) from making any moves. The twist inherently benefited the men of the Bomb Squad/Detonators/whatever the **** you wanna call them.
  • Options
    Shine_OnShine_On Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not saying CA are perfect when it comes to female casting, but they're so much better than US.

I don't think it's anything to do with casting why women do better in Canada than they do in the US. It might be a bit controversial but I think it's the mentality of the pool they're casting from.

In the Big Brothers I've watched the American males are far more alpha and exclusive than their Canadian counterparts. The women gamers in the US are pretty much only seen as goats to drag to the end for an easy win.

I hate to seem like I'm stereotyping but, from what I've seen, the Canadian guys are far more inclusive of both genders than the Americans are. Which gives the women gamers more room to play, I'm not putting down Canadian BB women or saying that they're only doing well because of it, it just gives them more options and room to play because frankly in general they're taken more seriously than in the US Big Brother.

They're more on an equal footing to the guys in Canada is all I'm trying to say :p

I never thought it before watching Big Brother Canada, but Canadians are far more like the British in their attitude and approach to situations than they are their southern neighbours. Which is really surprising considering they only get US TV shows and the closer proximity and fraternization of people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently...
    We will get returnee players. They are rumoured to be
    BB8
    Eric
    BB10
    Keesha
    Memphis
    Libra