We're getting a kitten, help!!!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Awww I love ginger kitties, and Simba looks just likes ours when we first bought them home!
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His other new bed, getting spoilt!:o

http://bit.ly/pBMG9T
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    queenshaks wrote: »
    Thanks for your great advice Toby and Bigbro :)

He has the life of riley at the moment, always sleeping on someone's lap, mischievous when he feels like it, going a bit crazy and darting around like a lunatic and eats and drinks when the mood takes.

I just went to say hello to him, he's very quiet with husband and 2 children because all they do is pick him up and snuggle him, he miaowed at me. I asked, are you alright, he miaowed back, I then asked, what are you up to, and he miaowed back again. My daughter said he only does that to you, he's quiet with us.
    I don't know if that's a good thing or bad!:D

It's hilarious, my cats 'talk' to us all the time - my oh and one of the cats crossed each other in the lounge the other day. OH said 'alright?' to the cat and the cat replied back in a whingy miaow, neither of them actually stopping. Both my furry friends make me laugh, smile or have my heart bursting with love on a daily basis. :)
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    As other posters have said, you don't own the cat; He owns you and everything you possess. When He moved in you effectively signed the deeds to your house over to Him. He will feign affection for food and treats but don't let Him fool you into thinking He genuinely likes you. At best He tolerates you.

I would strongly advise you to get a scatching post. In fact get two or three. If He feels the urge to scratch He will probably use whatever's closest, be it a scratching post, furniture, curtains or your leg. This is His right, as all of these things belong to Him. You may try to discourage this behaviour by shouting or clapping loudly to startle Him, but this will teach Him only to scratch His furniture when you're not at home.

He will bring you the dismembered bodies of mice, shrews, birds and slow worms as an occasional reminder that beneath His soft, cuddly exterior, He is, at heart, a killer. Sometimes He will cough up a fur ball as a sign of His disgust. If He thinks you aren't getting the message He will throw Himself under your feet as you descend the stairs. He isn't try to kill you, merely to remind you who is in charge.

If you shower Him with love and affection (and treats) He will reward you with His presence for many years. If He should feel neglected He may release you from your duties and He will move away to enslave new humans.

Enjoy and cherish your new keeper. He will be a great addition to the family, but don't be surpised if you wake up in the middle of the night to find Him draped across your face. He might just find it a comfortable position. On the other hand He might be trying to thin his herd.

Never a truer word was said! :D
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Your new owner will expect nothing less than total subservience from you. It's easier to just accept this now.

:D I'm still laughing. It's so true.

:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rather than start another thread about Sim Sim, I thought I'd ask the question here, hoping someone might see and answer.

We have been feeding our Sim Whiskas kitten since we've had him cos that's what he was eating when we bought him. He loved it, eating up to 3 pouches a day.

On Wednesday he went to have his first injection and whilst my husband was there he bought Science Plan dry food for kittens and since he's been introduced to this, this is all Simba eats, he will not touch his wet food at all!!

Is this ok? Today, we gave him dry food for breakfast and that finished, we took out the wet food ie Whiskas and not refill his dry food, but all he did was lick it and not eat it. We caved in tonight and took out his dry food again, he got excited when he heard the rustling of the bag!
  • danishdancerdanishdancer Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    It's fine. Our older cat used to be my sister in law's, we've had her since she was about 6 and it was all she'd eat but we got Ming as a kitten and she moved onto dry food quite quickly. You will need to keep on top of filling his water bowl though. Cats get a lot of the fluids they need from wet food oddly, but obviously with dry food they get none and they will drink a lot. Both of ours (now 14 and 7) hate their water bowl - they'll drink from it if they must, but prefer to drink from the bathroom (never the kitchen) sink. I grew up with cats and have always made sure I've had them in my life, and they're amazing in their oddities. Ours are so different. Lulu is very neat and precise and loves comfortable places while Ming will sleep anywhere, and always flat on her back with her hind legs spread and front paws in the air, particularly in the (empty) bath.

Simba is just gorgeous and it sounds like you're falling totally in love with him. Cats are so loving, it'll be well worth it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your advice, and yes, he has been drinking loads of water from his bowl, he doesn't know about the outside world yet apart from gazing lovingly at the patio doors :D

He is adorable :)

PS He sleeps anywhere, usually on the pouffe that used to be my special seat! He has 2 beds plus a fleece blanket we bought him, nope, it's on my pouffe.
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your advice, and yes, he has been drinking loads of water from his bowl, he doesn't know about the outside world yet apart from gazing lovingly at the patio doors :D

He is adorable :)

PS He sleeps anywhere, usually on the pouffe that used to be my special seat! He has 2 beds plus a fleece blanket we bought him, nope, it's on my pouffe.

My two have decided the best place to sleep is in the dirty washing basket..They are really clever and work between them to flip off the lid! Off to buy a new kitten proof washing basket this afternoon! The other favourite spot is behind the tv which is a nightmare as there are loads of leads and cables...a friend is coming to rearrange things this afternoon..they really do take over the house!
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simba's absolutely gorgeous ! can I just ask, is his collar a quick release one ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    Simba's absolutely gorgeous ! can I just ask, is his collar a quick release one ?

No it's not but he only had it on for a day. My husband bought him a quick release one when he went to the vets last Wednesday, for safety reasons, but the little muppet got one of his paw stuck underneath it two nights ago, so that was taken off as well. We only got got them because they had bells and we knew where he was as he's so small we didn't want to keep tripping over him.

So no collar for Master Simba.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My two have decided the best place to sleep is in the dirty washing basket..They are really clever and work between them to flip off the lid! Off to buy a new kitten proof washing basket this afternoon! The other favourite spot is behind the tv which is a nightmare as there are loads of leads and cables...a friend is coming to rearrange things this afternoon..they really do take over the house!

Awww, bless them! So far, his sleeping places are; my husband's expensive camera bag (:D), my pouffe (and I mean my pouffe), my husband's lap when he's playing his PS3, on top a storage box (we got him a fleece blanket for it and he hasn't used it since!!), I'm sure there are more places but just can't think right now.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In between MY pouffe and storage box - his favourite place to play in http://bit.ly/ou9UWR
  • superbabe69superbabe69 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In between MY pouffe and storage box - his favourite place to play in http://bit.ly/ou9UWR

He is such a cutie. I would love one but never had a cat in my life and wouldn't know the first thing about caring for one. I suppose I could learn. Only trouble is I live in a first floor flat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is such a cutie. I would love one but never had a cat in my life and wouldn't know the first thing about caring for one. I suppose I could learn. Only trouble is I live in a first floor flat.

I've never cat in my life either but my husband has. I've Googled loads, this forum has been really brilliant. I live in a house with a fairly large garden, so I don't know how it would suit a kitten in a 1st floor flat, but I'm sure others have done it and can advise you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My OH has also had cats all his life so I know he would give me a lot of advice and support and I know some cats are suited to be indoors. In fact I would be happy with a cat that stayed indoors as I would be worried when it went out. One of the things that concerns me is having to keep windows closed as this is a very warm flat and I am a fresh air freak and keep the windows open even at night in the winter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My OH has also had cats all his life so I know he would give me a lot of advice and support and I know some cats are suited to be indoors. In fact I would be happy with a cat that stayed indoors as I would be worried when it went out. One of the things that concerns me is having to keep windows closed as this is a very warm flat and I am a fresh air freak and keep the windows open even at night in the winter.

Flats do tend to get warmer quicker, I remember when we lived in one. I plan to keep ours as a house kitty, I couldn't bear if he disappeared.

It's a tough one for you cos of the windows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flats do tend to get warmer quicker, I remember when we lived in one. I plan to keep ours as a house kitty, I couldn't bear if he disappeared.

It's a tough one for you cos of the windows.

Yeah I know, that's the main thing stopping me. Then I look at your little cute chap and then I think aw I really want one. Also one benefit of having an indoor cat would mean no little presents brought home. That would freak me out especially if they were still alive!!
  • cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only trouble is I live in a first floor flat.

That's not a bar - there are plenty of cats needing homes that for one reason or another can't go out.
  • cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the things that concerns me is having to keep windows closed as this is a very warm flat and I am a fresh air freak and keep the windows open even at night in the winter.

You can get cat-proof grills that let the air in and stop the cat getting out. Not easy though I suspect if it's rented and has UPVC windows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cats_five wrote: »
    You can get cat-proof grills that let the air in and stop the cat getting out. Not easy though I suspect if it's rented and has UPVC windows.

It's not rented but it does have UPVC windows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I know, that's the main thing stopping me. Then I look at your little cute chap and then I think aw I really want one. Also one benefit of having an indoor cat would mean no little presents brought home. That would freak me out especially if they were still alive!!

Ditto!!:eek:
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    I lived in a first floor flat with my Tabitha for her first 7 years and managed to give her freedom and independence. I installed a cat flap in my front door and in the communal door with the permission of the other shared leaseholders. Lots of other flat owners copied what I did :) Those flats were cats' paradise because they were surrounded by woodland and fields - and the only traffic belonged to the residents. I personally don't believe in keeping cats confined indoors - it can lead to boredom and behavioural problems. However, I respect the reasons why some people make that choice.

I admit I got hundreds of live and dead 'gifts' over the years. I arrived home from work once to find three headless mice outside my front door (the communal door). Inside the flat were 3 heads :eek: She even brought 2 dead rats in - I screamed even as I picked them up (with 3 pairs of rubber gloves and several plastic bags).

At 5am this morning I heard a familiar mew from my little Lucy - the exact same noise Tabitha used to make when she had brought something into the house :eek: Luckily it was just a moth :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MarellaK wrote: »
    I lived in a first floor flat with my Tabitha for her first 7 years and managed to give her freedom and independence. I installed a cat flap in my front door and in the communal door with the permission of the other shared leaseholders. Lots of other flat owners copied what I did :) Those flats were cats' paradise because they were surrounded by woodland and fields - and the only traffic belonged to the residents. I personally don't believe in keeping cats confined indoors - it can lead to boredom and behavioural problems. However, I respect the reasons why some people make that choice.

I admit I got hundreds of live and dead 'gifts' over the years. I arrived home from work once to find three headless mice outside my front door (the communal door). Inside the flat were 3 heads :eek: She even brought 2 dead rats in - I screamed even as I picked them up (with 3 pairs of rubber gloves and several plastic bags).

At 5am this morning I heard a familiar mew from my little Lucy - the exact same noise Tabitha used to make when she had brought something into the house :eek: Luckily it was just a moth :D

I.....would...absolutely...die....at..."gifts"!!!:eek:

One of my biggest phobia (amongst a few:o) are rodents.

Bloody hell, I have just got over having a hamster in the house :D