Options

Weight Loss Thread - 2013 Edition

Comments

• Options
    The22ndRachelThe22ndRachel Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really want to join a gym, am very out of shape and I know I need to get fit and healty, and that a gym would help.

However I'm scared to - The unfit level that I'm at at the mo just makes me feel I'd embarrass myself at a gym, ie getting red / not being able to keep going and make a complete fool of myself.
    I know with time it wouldn't happen but getting in there to start with is worrying me!
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »

it's quite shocking when you're forced to look at what you're eating how many calories you can consume without even realising.

Isn't that the truth! Good luck Agent F :)
    I really want to join a gym, am very out of shape and I know I need to get fit and healty, and that a gym would help.

However I'm scared to - The unfit level that I'm at at the mo just makes me feel I'd embarrass myself at a gym, ie getting red / not being able to keep going and make a complete fool of myself.
    I know with time it wouldn't happen but getting in there to start with is worrying me!

I had been thinking like that for a long time myself, hence why my trip to the gym yesterday was a brand new experience. But in all honesty, as much as you might think people will look at you or that they are looking at you - they're probably not! I thought I'd be embarrassed huffing and puffing and not going as fast as others around me, but everyone seemed to be so in to their own workout that I don't think anyone took a blind bit of notice what anyone else was doing! Try and be brave and give it a go :)

elliecat wrote: »
    I need to lose 3 and 1/2 stone to get down to my ideal weight (would be happy with 3 though). I am currently 13.6 stone and hate it have never been this heavy before. Started back at the gym last week and it killed me, I did an hour on Wednesday and Saturday and was completely broken Saturday afternoon. Am going to go to the Gym on Tuesday and Wednesday night for an hour and I have just signed up for a Rosemary Conley class (never been to anything like that before so am a bit unsure what to expect).

We have been having meals from the Hairy Dieters cookbook(the other half wants to lose weight as well) but I tend to cook quite healthily anyway it's snacking and coke that is the problem.

It really is surprising how much cola bloats you (well, it was at the time - looking back I should have known!), and how much weight it can make you gain. I used to have a can every evening and as soon as I stopped and swapped it for flavoured water I saw the effect not just in a slightly flatter stomach but my skin looked so much better too. I wouldn't think one can a week would hinder you very much though, you need a treat :D
  • Options
    The22ndRachelThe22ndRachel Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't that the truth! Good luck Agent F :)

I had been thinking like that for a long time myself, hence why my trip to the gym yesterday was a brand new experience. But in all honesty, as much as you might think people will look at you or that they are looking at you - they're probably not! I thought I'd be embarrassed huffing and puffing and not going as fast as others around me, but everyone seemed to be so in to their own workout that I don't think anyone took a blind bit of notice what anyone else was doing! Try and be brave and give it a go :)

It really is surprising how much cola bloats you (well, it was at the time - looking back I should have known!), and how much weight it can make you gain. I used to have a can every evening and as soon as I stopped and swapped it for flavoured water I saw the effect not just in a slightly flatter stomach but my skin looked so much better too. I wouldn't think one can a week would hinder you very much though, you need a treat :D

Thanks, feel a bit more confident about signing up now!

Also re Coke, that's the one thing I'm finding hard to give up, so addicted to it! I've already cracked on that one after saying I wouldn't have it anymore. Definatly one to work on :o
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well my first week that wasn't a whole week is done and dusted (1st weight was taken on Wednesday, but I want my weekly weigh in to be Mondays and didn't want to leave starting till today and giving myself the excuse to eat crap till then).

5lb off! Good start. On to the next.
  • Options
    rehab_101rehab_101 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was like this before i started the gym, but threw caution to the wind and figured in for a penny, in for a pound! I walked through the door, had my induction, looked around and what do you know, i was the fattest person there! I cracked on though, sweating away, literally dripping down my face, still thinking omg i'm the biggest person here, i probably look like i'm about to drown in my own sweat. Stopped (i cant get off a treadmill when it first stops, wobbly legs!) looked around and quite quickly realised that no body else in this very busy gym was interested in what i was or wasn't doing, what i did or didn't look like. The came here for one thing, to work out. Thats it.

You're your own worst enemy, stop over thinking it. Everyone has to start somewhere!
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It took me a few days to get started but the last 24 hours have been good. Didn't go to the pub as usual on Sunday afternoon, but stopped at home and made a proper meal rather than get a takeaway after numerous beers.

Went for a 2 mile walk before starting work this morning then I've just got back from doing the same this evening.

Going to try to have an alcohol-free week, cut out the carbs and processed food and go for a walk at least once a day.
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Okay,first weigh in today as back to work and not so much temptation around...

11 st 11.5 pounds.

Would like to lose a stone or get down to 11 stone at least!

How come I never really think about food until I'm on a diet and then it becomes the most important thing in life!!! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    Hello! :)

I posted in the thread last year and then never returned. :o

Yep, same here. just going to put the wii fit on charge so I can weigh in. I'm going to be somewhere around 15.5 stone and need to be about 11 stone.

Started some exercise on Friday. Getting up earlier, doing a bit before work and having a decent brekkie.

Just had my hairy biker inspired nicoise salad wraps. Will be doing them again. Really good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll join in I think, I needed to lose a stone by the 24th of January. :eek: But I think it will be possible. I started on NYD with a stone to lose, now I've lost 2lb so 12lbs to go. I ate way too much over the weekend but managed to cancel some of it out with 2 long swims on Thursday and Friday.

Today's going well - 1500 kcals and I swam 2.5k. But Monday's always the day where my willpower is strongest, the rest of the week will be the challenge. Fingers crossed! :)

01/01 14lbs to lose
    07/01 12lbs to lose
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    echad wrote: »
    I'll join in I think, I needed to lose a stone by the 24th of January. :eek

I wouldn't have thought that losing a stone in 3 weeks is in any way healthy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, feel a bit more confident about signing up now!

Also re Coke, that's the one thing I'm finding hard to give up, so addicted to it! I've already cracked on that one after saying I wouldn't have it anymore. Definatly one to work on :o

You'll get there :) As with anything even slightly addictive, drinks with caffeine in them can be hard to give up but don't feel bad about not completely giving it up straight away, you'll get used to less and less of it in time.
  • Options
    laurieloulaurielou Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Yep, same here. just going to put the wii fit on charge so I can weigh in. I'm going to be somewhere around 15.5 stone and need to be about 11 stone.

Started some exercise on Friday. Getting up earlier, doing a bit before work and having a decent brekkie.

Just had my hairy biker inspired nicoise salad wraps. Will be doing them again. Really good.

The hb's have some great recipe ideas. Anything that doesn't make you feel deprived and accepts that you might love your food is just excellent. Healthy home-made curries especially. Also they introduced me to the revelation that is 0% fat Greek yoghurt!

Anyway, I can report that after one week on what's broadly the food doctor diet, no alcohol and after three runs, I've somehow lost 5lb! Obviously, that was Xmas (and water) and expect it'll be less from now on, but feel am off to a good start. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    laurielou wrote: »
    The hb's have some great recipe ideas. Anything that doesn't make you feel deprived and accepts that you might love your food is just excellent. Healthy home-made curries especially. Also they introduced me to the revelation that is 0% fat Greek yoghurt!

Anyway, I can report that after one week on jIwhat's broadly the food doctor diet, no alcohol and after three runs, I've somehow lost 5lb! Obviously, that was Xmas (and water) and expect it'll be less from now on, but feel am off to a good start. :)
    Well done,not far off half a stone,had a few wobbles myself at the weekend but seem to be back on track now,was SO tempted by a tin of choccys y,day after my dinner (which is my worse time for craving sweet stuff)but I actually resisted,because I know I really cant just have the one and would have just demolished the lot and felt pretty crap,weigh In
    friday,but even if have just lost 1lb it,s going in the right direction.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member

I wouldn't be scared about joining the gym( I just walked in one day and said I would like to join and the staff were really helpful and friendly), there are people of all shapes and sizes and fitness levels. Also if you get them to write up a plan for you they can aim it at the level that you are at. I was nervous when I first went but now I just get on with it, who cares if I am red and sweaty and I have to say I even stop by Sainsbury's or the shops on the way home and really don't care what people think because I know I am doing something good for my body.

Yes I have noticed that my belly gets very bloated and round and that a lot of my extra calories came from coke. I find it hard as at about 11am I always stop for a break at work and reach for a can of coke.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had my first weigh in yesterday morning - 16 stone 6, so I lost 3 pounds over the week even though I wasn't doing total healthy eating.

We went food shopping on Sunday and stocked up with all healthy foods and breakfasts so i'm hoping that this week will be equally successful!
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I need some breakfast ideas. I'm following the weightwatchers propoints diet. I usually love my cereal but it's high in points so I'm trying to think of nice filling alternatives?
    My first weigh in of the year I was 13st 9lbs, total weightloss so far 4st 5lb.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I need some breakfast ideas. I'm following the weightwatchers propoints diet. I usually love my cereal but it's high in points so I'm trying to think of nice filling alternatives?

Eggs are always a good bet. Although this morning I had 200g of prawns and half an avacado.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    start back at the gym tonight after work
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I always have porridge cooked with fruit for breakfast, Orin the summer fruit (usually sliced banana) with low fat Greek yoghurt and toasted chopped nuts. Does the job for me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    laurielou wrote: »
    Anyway, I can report that after one week on what's broadly the food doctor diet, no alcohol and after three runs, I've somehow lost 5lb! Obviously, that was Xmas (and water) and expect it'll be less from now on, but feel am off to a good start. :)

Well done! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    I always have porridge cooked with fruit for breakfast, Orin the summer fruit (usually sliced banana) with low fat Greek yoghurt and toasted chopped nuts. Does the job for me!

Breakfast is my biggest problem too. I've never been a breakfast eater and don't like most breakfast-type foods (apart from a fry up!) but I feel that I should be eating something in the morning even though I rarely feel like it.

I always think that porridge sounds like a good idea until I look at it - and then it's not appealing in the slightest.
  • Options
    twassingtontwassington Posts: 163,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Started diet straight after Christmas and happily about 5lbs has been lost already :) Tum has shrunk nicely and clothes are fitting better! Ideally I would like to lose a stone and a half in total which I lost last year using My Fitness Pal over six months of dieting, but then it crept back on :o

Off to the gym later to swim!! Good luck everyone else :)
  • Options
    twassingtontwassington Posts: 163,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Breakfast is my biggest problem too. I've never been a breakfast eater and don't like most breakfast-type foods (apart from a fry up!) but I feel that I should be eating something in the morning even though I rarely feel like it.

I always think that porridge sounds like a good idea until I look at it - and then it's not appealing in the slightest.

Beans on toast...half a can of beans, and two slices of any small 400g loaf toasted with no butter or spread, is filling and a very good breakfast of only around 230 cals. You can have some fresh fruit after and still keep below 300!
  • Options
    laurieloulaurielou Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done,not far off half a stone,had a few wobbles myself at the weekend but seem to be back on track now,was SO tempted by a tin of choccys y,day after my dinner (which is my worse time for craving sweet stuff)but I actually resisted,because I know I really cant just have the one and would have just demolished the lot and felt pretty crap,weigh In
    friday,but even if have just lost 1lb it,s going in the right direction.

thank you Suzy. :) Fingers crossed for you on Fri - and big congratulations for resisting that choccy urge! Is half the battle!
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well my weight loss on Friday should be a laugh. I should really have waited till next Friday to start. I was having lunch with a friend who is over from Australia, not seen her for 5 years. She leaves tomorrow and it coulkd be a while till I see her again.

Had half a bottle of Champgne and wine as well as steak, mash and vegetables - all no doubt cooked using lovely butter.

Still I've walked back and acheived my 5 mile walk.

So even if I stay the same, or worse eek, I know I've done 5 mile walks most days. Hopefully I'll lose a 1Ilb or two come Friday when I weigh myself :(