Bob Servant Independant: Starting Weds 23rd Jan 10pm BBC4

Comments

• StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep meaning to buy Absolutely on dvd but it always seems to be out of my price range.

Huh? It was cheap on pre-order (about £20 IIRC) and has been relentlessly cheap ever since it was released. It currently can be had for a measly £10.50!
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,995
    Forum Member
    mevilhoney wrote: »
    BIB,could be his Frank Bovis (?) character, a comedian who delivered his act sitting on a toilet,I`m sure. But he did have an even seedier character iirc,a bit like out of Father Ted.
    My favourite was probably Morwenna doing her teenage boy character,he was kind of sad rather than comic though.
    You`re right about Naked Video and Baldy Man--it must have been a big hit,he got that cigar ad out of it and hios own show.
    I`ve been meaning to get the Absolutely dvd set too,some great reviews in Amazon. Kind of back on topic,I always thought Gordon Brown was a strangely` Absolutely`-type comic guy,dunno why. In fact Scottish politics seems a pretty rich vein to mine,again I dunno why. Delusions of grandeur?

I'd forgotten about his Frank Bovis character. On the lavatory with Frank Bovis :D No it wasn't him, it was the seedier one like Father Jack in Father Ted. I had to look it up and it was Bert B*stard. He had a Zimmerframe and used to swear a lot!

Yes I could see Gordon Brown as a character from Absolutely! I can see Gordon Kennedy playing him :D

Anyway I've gone off-topic!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Doesn't say much for the show when most of the discussion is about Absolutely, Naken Video and Rab C. Nesbitt :p

Got it recorded. Looked ok from the trailers.
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    Huh? It was cheap on pre-order (about £20 IIRC) and has been relentlessly cheap ever since it was released. It currently can be had for a measly £10.50!

Huh? Funnily enough I'm not constantly checking Amazon for it! I haven't looked for a very long time, someone on this thread reminded me of the programme. I didn't catch it on pre-order and last time I looked it was about £28. I don't earn much so that's a lot of money to me. Other things seem to get in the way, like food and bills! I don't even have £10.50 at the moment....if I had I'd snap it up. I'm hoping to catch it on eBay for 99p! I watched it on 4od a couple of years ago, not sure if it's still on there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Huh? Funnily enough I'm not constantly checking Amazon for it!

From your other post that’s what it sounded like.
    .....and last time I looked it was about £28.

It’s never been £28. It’s been cheap since release (in-store as well at places like HMV) for some reason - Heavily discounted from the get go.
    I'm hoping to catch it on eBay for 99p!

Good luck with that!
    Forum Member
    From your other post that’s what it sounded like.

It’s never been £28. It’s been cheap since release (in-store as well at places like HMV) for some reason - Heavily discounted from the get go.

Good luck with that!

You're just so nitpicky, Mr Straker! I haven't checked for ages, and I did see it for £28 on Amazon (this was a few years ago), but you know best, I must've imagined it. I'll get one from eBay as cheap as I can get it you see if I don't ;) Maybe not 99p though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're just so nitpicky, Mr Straker!

Just correcting the falsehoods. I’ve tracked the price progress of it hoping it’d go out of print so I could flog mine but they seem to have pressed tens of thousands. The price has consistently dropped from a very low (for the amount of discs/content) starting point.
    Forum Member
    Just correcting the falsehoods. I’ve tracked the price progress of it hoping it’d go out of print so I could flog mine but they seem to have pressed tens of thousands. The price has consistently dropped from a very low (for the amount of discs/content) starting point.

Good job someone's around to correct the falsehoods.

I've got my eye on one, I just did some snooping.

I wouldn't have put you down as a fan of Absolutely, Straker.
  • Hugh LetdownHugh Letdown Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I recall the radio show was not exactly bad. But definitely not good either...

Whereas, McLevy, also starring Brian Cox, is one of the best radio shows going. Yes, still really good even 8 series in (I've only listened up to S08E02... so it might have -- but I'd be shocked if so -- finally gone to hell).

So, just as long as Cox sticks with McLevy, I'll allow this Servant thing to go on. I may even see if it is an improvement on the radio show.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched it - I rather liked it, Brian Cox is a fine actor, always enjoy him. His character reminded me a bit of that befuddled fella on BBC radio 4, the guy with the pork pie hat and glsses.
  • mevilhoneymevilhoney Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd forgotten about his Frank Bovis character. On the lavatory with Frank Bovis :D No it wasn't him, it was the seedier one like Father Jack in Father Ted. I had to look it up and it was Bert B*stard. He had a Zimmerframe and used to swear a lot!

Yes I could see Gordon Brown as a character from Absolutely! I can see Gordon Kennedy playing him :D

Anyway I've gone off-topic!

Bert was more sad than funny imo, Good to see somebody finds Gordon Brown strangely funny,Gordon Kennedy would be perfect,(Terry Jones off Python too).
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I iked it, I got the impression Brian Cox was really enjoying himself playing the character. It was also good to see an area I know well on the telly. "No more dogs in Dawson Park" - that would get my vote :D
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New one on me,ever shown in England?And I`m scratching my head thinking of a recent Scottish sitcom that aired down here,late-ish at night,past year or so.

Gary: Tank Commander was shown UK-wide on BBC 3 for Series 1... Series 2 was shown UK wide too not sure if that was BBC1/2 or 3. Series 3 has only been shown in Scotland as of yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it found it hilarious.
  • Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bert was more sad than funny imo, Good to see somebody finds Gordon Brown strangely funny,Gordon Kennedy would be perfect,(Terry Jones off Python too).

I sat on Gordon Kennedy's knee at a party once. Lovely man.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Just watched this on iplayer, didn't really know what to expect as I never saw it advertised, but I enjoyed it, it was funny. I'll watch it again next week. Got to agree with what someone else posted, this does remind me a bit of Alan Partridge.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Didn't the guy who plays Gary also play the DJ in last night's show??
    New one on me,ever shown in England?And I`m scratching my head thinking of a recent Scottish sitcom that aired down here,late-ish at night,past year or so.
    Gary: Tank Commander was shown UK-wide on BBC 3 for Series 1... Series 2 was shown UK wide too not sure if that was BBC1/2 or 3. Series 3 has only been shown in Scotland as of yet.
    Sorry, completely missed coming back on this.

Yes, as said series 1 and 2 have both been shown in England, I know one of them was BBC3 but not sure about the other. The two series that were shown were on at 10 or 10.30.

Series 3 was only shown in Scotland, but was available to watch via the BBC i Player at the time. So I did. :p

As for the actor who plays Gary (Greg McHugh) I have no idea if he was a DJ as I haven't watched Bob Servant (though I've listened the the radio show and read the early books) but he does play Howard in Fresh Meat.
  • sheffieldersheffielder Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Just watched it - I rather liked it, Brian Cox is a fine actor, always enjoy him. His character reminded me a bit of that befuddled fella on BBC radio 4, the guy with the pork pie hat and glsses.

That's got to be Count Arthur Strong!
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

There is currently a Count Arthur Strong sitcom being made

http://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/00000823/count_arthur_strong_tv_sitcom/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alan58 wrote: »
    Didn't think it was that brilliant but will give it another go next week.

Don't remember Naked Video or Absolutely Rab C Nesbitt was good but I think the best Scottish comedy series was Still Game.

I remember that a few years ago there was a New Year's special of that was IMO the funniest thing on TV that Christmas
    As I recall the radio show was not exactly bad. But definitely not good either...

Whereas, McLevy, also starring Brian Cox, is one of the best radio shows going. Yes, still really good even 8 series in (I've only listened up to S08E02... so it might have -- but I'd be shocked if so -- finally gone to hell).

So, just as long as Cox sticks with McLevy, I'll allow this Servant thing to go on. I may even see if it is an improvement on the radio show.

Is McLevy the one where he plays a detective in 19th century Edinburgh??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brian Cox has been cast as Sydney Newman in An Adventure In Space and Time. Mark Gatiss' docudrama about the creation of Doctor Who back in 1963

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a454816/doctor-who-david-bradley-to-play-william-hartnell-in-50th-biopic.html
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I remember that a few years ago there was a New Year's special of that was IMO the funniest thing on TV that Christmas

Is McLevy the one where he plays a detective in 19th century Edinburgh??

Yup, that's McLevy, I like those, with the odd relationship with Jean Brash.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite liked this, Brian Cox plays it well. I'll definitely keep watching.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is currently a Count Arthur Strong sitcom being made

http://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/00000823/count_arthur_strong_tv_sitcom/
    Count Arthur Strong is one of the few Radio 4 comedies I can't listen to.

I just fail to find it at all funny, in fact it just seems to annoy me. :(
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cheers! There was a perfect Count Arthur Strong moment in the pub scene last light, I forget the details but definitely there.

Last night was generally amusing though the printer scene went to too long, and Bob Servants bluster was overplayed at the Lady Provost dinner.