London Irish Channel 4 10pm New Comedy Starting Tonight 24/9

ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,020
Forum Member
Just flicking through the TV guide and noticed this new comedy is starting tonight. I haven't heard anything about it or seen any trailers. It's about the antics of four Northern Irish twenty somethings living in London and stars Ardal O'Hanlon. Good comedies are a rarity these days so hopefully it will be funny! (Don't blame me if it isn't :p)

Comments

• stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen a couple of trailers and it looks mildly amusing. I might give it a go if I remember.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm the opposite. I'll not be watching because I've seen a couple of trailers. It looks like shite.
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen that bloody trailer at least 10 times now. It's seriously getting VERY annoying! :mad:
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,020
    Forum Member
    I've seen that bloody trailer at least 10 times now. It's seriously getting VERY annoying! :mad:

:D I don't watch much on C4 so I haven't seen any trailers. I'll give it a go and see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But... but... it had NUDITY in it! ;)
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just flicking through the TV guide and noticed this new comedy is starting tonight. I haven't heard anything about it or seen any trailers. It's about the antics of four Northern Irish twenty somethings living in London and stars Ardal O'Hanlon. Good comedies are a rarity these days so hopefully it will be funny! (Don't blame me if it isn't :p)

Twenty somethings ? Ardal O'Hanlon is 47 !
    Forum Member
    pete137 wrote: »
    Twenty somethings ? Ardal O'Hanlon is 47 !

That's what I thought when I read it on the TV guide! He might be someone's dad in it :D
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    junnja wrote: »
    I'm the opposite. I'll not be watching because I've seen a couple of trailers. It looks like shite.

The trailers put me off too. Being old enough to remember (and actually see the results first-hand) of Irish terrorism, I found one of the trailers very unfunny indeed.
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heheh.........anti-irish pavlovian response there.
  • barclay55barclay55 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Who writes the EPG for programmes?

"the friends' sense of normalcy " ???

Can we have the EPG in English please?
    Forum Member
    Better than I was expecting from the trailer so far.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So it's not just the BBC showing crap new comedy shows.
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    I'm trying to find this funny...............

Nah.
  • RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not bad so far, strange that they are supposed to be twenty something as SInead Keenan is 35 :p still hot though :D
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite liked that, it was pretty simple comedy but it made me laugh a few times. The blong girl in particular is hilarious!
    Forum Member
    Not bad so far, strange that they are supposed to be twenty something as SInead Keenan is 35 :p still hot though :D

Very short too. She looked tiny when at the check-in at the airport. My mother's family are Irish as well. Nothing funnier than a bunch of pissed short angry women all threatening each other at a family get together, especially when one of their husbands intervenes and they all turn on him :D.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Really? I think she can easily play younger characters though. I don't think Nina is meant to be in her 30s in Being Human.

I haven't watched this yet, but I have recorded it because it sounds interesting and I like both Sinead and Ardal O'Hanlon.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Didn't raise a single smile from me.

None of the characters is remotely likeable either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    I've just watched the first episode. I think it has missed the mark a bit but I'm going to give it another go.

I feel that the first episode would have been far more interesting had they explained the relationship between the characters or at least why dressguy was working behind the bar.
  • RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? I think she can easily play younger characters though. I don't think Nina is meant to be in her 30s in Being Human.

I haven't watched this yet, but I have recorded it because it sounds interesting and I like both Sinead and Ardal O'Hanlon.

that is true, she does not look in her 30's tbh. brilliant actress she is too.
  • Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Promising but, turned it off after the 15th use of the C-word, lazy cretinous writing.

I know people use it in real life, but in real life people also wipe their arses and inspect what's
    on the bog paper but I don't want to see that on my TV.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

Ardal plays the Dad, he's not in it for long.

She's unlikeable in this, so is oddly enough, I've don't find her fancible, I wouldn't want to 'ride' her character.
    They were just discussing this on The Wright Stuff, accusations of stereotyping the Irish, lazy, drunken, cheats.
    Lazy and cheating are 'new' stereotypes to me though.
    I'll have to agree with Olly Smith (never heard of him before), who compared it to Father Ted, which could have been accused of stereotyping.
    Father Ted, wasn't lazy (writing) , was quite surreal and importantly had warmth.
    There's something not right about this, needs tweaking, but I'm not 'that' interested in trying to work out what that tweak is.

I'll give it another go though, unless there's something else on.
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,243
    Forum Member
    Am I the only one here who needed subtitles to understand half of what was being said? :confused:

The subs on 4+1 were running way behind the dialogue too which didn't help.:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye, I had to rewind once to catch something again, and still didn't understand it. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it (more than The Wong Mans on the other side) and I've series linked it.

Ardal was doing the exact same voice as Dougal, so it didn't work for me. Luckily he was only a brief cameo. It's a bit disingenuous to say in the EPG that it stars Ardal (and I can't see him coming back in later episodes if he's in Ireland and the setting is in London).
    Forum Member
    barclay55 wrote: »
    Who writes the EPG for programmes?

"the friends' sense of normalcy " ???

Can we have the EPG in English please?

I know! Normalcy is an American made up word!