Options

London Irish Channel 4 10pm New Comedy Starting Tonight 24/9

Comments

• Options
    mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    I really liked it, I thought there was some clever lines of dialogue. The only weak link was the guy who was once in EastEnders and was the cockney geezer in this, he was unfunny. I think they made Niamh a little too kooky but we'll see. I laughed more during this than Bad Education (which I also like).
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    She's unlikeable in this, so is oddly enough, I've don't find her fancible, I wouldn't want to 'ride' her character.
    I thought she was the best character. Not really likeable but as far as the characters go she is the funniest/most interesting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stu0rt wrote: »
    Aye, I had to rewind once to catch something again, and still didn't understand it.
    I had to do it a few times. Took me a couple of listens to understand why he had a black eye (because he clapped when the plane landed)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Silly_tree wrote: »
    I feel that the first episode would have been far more interesting had they explained the relationship between the characters or at least why dressguy was working behind the bar.
    I agree. Ok there is a bro & sis but are the group just friends - from school age - ex partners etc.

Problem is that they weren't really interesting.
    Angry girl - I guess there is interest in why she is always angry.
    The two blokes seem like carefree easy go lads - so no much interest.

I thought the worst character was the other cooky girl. No idea why she was like she was - sasying the things she did.

And what was with the accents? I'm no expert but the blonde had a very heavy accent - verging on Belfast?? yet her bro and mate were the more 'typical' Irish (didn't know how else to describe it :D)
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I thought she was the best character. Not really likeable but as far as the characters go she is the funniest/most interesting.

Best, I'd probably agree with, no more interesting that the others.
    As she's not a complete dullard, like the rest, there's potential or her to have more about her than just been an unutterable cow all the time.
    She'll be the one driving things on, no doubt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just remembered something.

When she said he's not wearing a wedding ring and he shouted "because i've got no hand!" was that supposed to be an injoke about the Irish being backwards or simple?

I know it's not set in stone but usually in the UK/Ireland the ring is on the left hand - even if in his religion the right hand was the common hand he still had the alternative of putting it on the left, which he had.
  • Options
    NRGNRG Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    And what was with the accents? I'm no expert but the blonde had a very heavy accent - verging on Belfast?? yet her bro and mate were the more 'typical' Irish (didn't know how else to describe it :D)
    You've described it 100%

The blonde had a stereotypical NI accent for sure, the two guys most certainly had not, nor the handless clown, they were all ROI. The jury is still out on the dark haired females accent.
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,114
    Forum Member
    I watched it today and I laughed a few times, but not sure if it was enough to make me watch it every week. Probably give the next episode a go though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bumpity bump Guardian take on it.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Bumpity bump Guardian take on it.

I agree with most of that.
    What's more telling is that no-one on here commented on the programme during or after the broadcast last night.

It really is pretty offensive dross, and if it had been called London Welsh, featuring Welsh people, I 'd have felt put out.
    It's just 'a bunch of unpleasant London people do unpleasant things'
  • Options
    mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    I really like it, I found it funny throughout. I didn't find the first two episodes offensive or too sick at all, it's the sort of thing I expect from an off beat comedy.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    What's more telling is that no-one on here commented on the programme during or after the broadcast last night.
    Agreed. I watched the first episode and realised it was aimed at an audience that sniggers when somone on TV says "bum".
    Just dull.
  • Options
    GENGHIS KHANGENGHIS KHAN Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    I thought it was quite good, some lol lines
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,114
    Forum Member
    petely wrote: »
    Agreed. I watched the first episode and realised it was aimed at an audience that sniggers when somone on TV says "bum".
    Just dull.

BUM!

Go on laugh, petely, you know you want to :p:D

Haven't seen episode two, I don't think I'll bother trying to catch up though. It's not a must see for me, but if I catch another episode in the series I'll give it a watch. I won't go out of my way to see it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I actually quite liked both episodes. :D
  • Options
    jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    repulsive, but Im strangely drawn to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »

It really is pretty offensive dross, and if it had been called London Welsh, featuring Welsh people, I 'd have felt put out.
    It's just 'a bunch of unpleasant London people do unpleasant things'

'Telling', really?
    It's only as 'telling' as you want it to be, because you didn't like it.
    A lot of threads get more posts before the program has aired or the first episode has aired than they do for the following episodes.

Anyway, can't say it made me laugh or even snigger, sort of wan smile, but I'm interested to see what they'll get up to next.
    Suffers from a complete lack of charm IMO.
    I suspect that if one of the characters dies in a terrible accident nobody will give a $hit, simply replace with another idiot F'up
    A least we've had the Bar thing explained, why the brother was behind the jump serving last week.
    They've acquired some past/continuing relationships since last week, gawd knows how long they've been in London.
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,247
    Forum Member
    Last week's show at least managed to hold my attention. This week's failed even to do that. I kept drifitng away to do other things.:(

What annoys me most is that I missed a new episode of Rules of Engagement on E4+1 for this dross.:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A least we've had the Bar thing explained, why the brother was behind the jump serving last week.
    Have we?
    He was serving last week. Pretty easy to assume that he worked there. What was new?

I thought there were a couple of good laughs but also lack of structure. It could be a lot better.
    What was this party they went to? Why did she have a wedding dress on?
    The background is just that they get really pissed and strange stuff happens then we see the aftermath. I think it needs more depth than that.
  • Options
    TheCloakroom99TheCloakroom99 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    ntscuser wrote: »
    Last week's show at least managed to hold my attention. This week's failed even to do that. I kept drifitng away to do other things.:(

What annoys me most is that I missed a new episode of Rules of Engagement on E4+1 for this dross.:mad:

Rules of Engagement - now that is a load of bollocks.

Lazy by the numbers comedy.
  • Options
    C HorseC Horse Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Utter dross.

Seemed to me to be a cross between which character could pull the strangest face and which character could use the most offensive (and unnecessary) foul language.

The writers must be proud.

Half an hour of my life that I'll never get back
  • Options
    Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,083
    Forum Member
    I'm in the minority by the looks of things who thinks this is pretty good. Personally I find it funny, not hysterical but good for a laugh on a Tuesday night.

Also, as someone who's lived in Belfast my whole life, the dialogue between the characters is pretty spot on.
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've gotta admit I am absolutely loving this, yeah its silly, rude and full of typical stereotypes but it raises plenty of laughs from me and that's what comedy is meant to be. I also really love The Wrong Mans an hour before this and you probably couldn't find two comedies more different but I think both are hilarious, I'm also watching Bad Education Series 1 as I missed it the first time which I am also loving so I have 90 minutes of solid laugh out comedy to watch every Tuesday night, Happy days!!
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C Horse wrote: »
    Utter dross.

Seemed to me to be a cross between which character could pull the strangest face and which character could use the most offensive (and unnecessary) foul language.

The writers must be proud.

Half an hour of my life that I'll never get back
    Could not agree more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The problem I have is that the characters seem very shallow in which I mean they have a major trait but no other depth to them.

The angry blonde (who for some reason has a Northern Ishish accent whereas her brother has a Southern Irish accent)
    Her wide eyed brother who seems to be amazed at everything that happens in life
    The brunette who is shallow and is only interested in herself

Infact Packy is the only character who is borderline normal