Gravity

Comments

• D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was alright. Slightly overhyped.

Take away the 3D and there really isn't much there for me. Found it repetitive and a lot more could have been done.

One of these films that really won't have the same effect on DVD.

Also as much as I love Bullock and Clooney, really think this should have been one of those times where small names were used. Didn't really buy them.
  • auron87auron87 Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked this. I think I particularly enjoyed how there was no messing about, straight into it and straight out of it at the end. I feel with most modern day films there would be a tendency to have some sort of build up and extended ending making it over 2 hours whereas being only 1.5 hours this felt somewhat refreshing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bloody loved it. I thought Bullock was perfect in the role.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched it this evening.

My friend felt the parts where she kept missing things to grab on to was unrealistic, as she'd have had training etc. Whereas I pointed out she was a newbie, and NASA had recruited her because of the prototype she'd created rather than any skills she may have had as an astronaut. He also felt the mechanics of searching for things to grab on to was overused. I felt it was quite primal, actually. Cuaron is finally getting the praise he deserves as a director.

Felt like I'd been put through a grinder by the end, but in the best possible way. Loved the ending. One of Sandra's best performances, she might even nab that second lead Oscar. :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Saw it earlier in IMAX 3D, thought it was a fantastic thrill ride and beautifully filmed, definitely something that you need to see on massive screen in 3D though, I can see people wondering what the fuss was about if their first viewing is on a 32" TV at home, while Bullock and Clooney are good, this is a film that is all about the spectacle first and foremost.

Easily worth paying the IMAX premium for this though, don't miss it at the cinema if you're at all interested in seeing it.
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Saw it last night, but in 2D. Think I need to go back to rewatch in 3D.

I love how they attempted a live version today ;)
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBH I was a bit disappointed with this.
    The 3d special effects were great but I found the storyline a bit boring and dreary.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this on Saturday. The 3D is awesome and to be honest i don`t even see the point of the 2D version. I certainly wouldn`t have give it a second thought if it wasn`t in 3D. I didn`t go watch it for the story thats for sure.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder what this film will seem like on DVD cos its such an "event" film.

The story is banal but the most fundamental story of all- the fight for life over death.

Was a very tense film to watch. I really felt for her loneliness & desperation. I think Bullock was fantastic,
  • LMLM Posts: 63,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this yesterday and it was brilliant. On the edge of my bed when watching it

However, Bullock isn't as great as reviewers and acclaim have made her to be. She is a good actress, but not good enough to take on a role like this. Her performance was average. But she didn't take on her characters backstory as her drive for what could of been a brilliant performance. 80 per cent of the film is just her and she wasn't compelling enough to watch. I find with Bullock, she isn't capable of taking a film by herself, and that she needs as supporting cast to help her out.

Jodie Foster would of been an absolute steller and better choice for this role.
  • JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite moving in parts, a little american cheese in others, was sooo tempted to shout out
    SHAAAARK !!!! when she finally landed in the water and got out of the suit :D:D

pretty much done with 3d tho, i find it annoying/distracting more than anything else.

I think Film 2013 called it film of the decade, i wouldnt go that far 7/10 is more like it or maybe 8.
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Jackapple wrote: »
    Quite moving in parts, a little american cheese in others, was sooo tempted to shout out

Don't you mean.....
    CROC !!!!!!!
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I saw this yesterday and it was brilliant. On the edge of my bed when watching it

Your bed :confused:
  • LMLM Posts: 63,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    Your bed :confused:

I watched it online
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On my way back from watching this in 3D. I'm going to borrow Myleene Klass' tweet about it (again..) and say I think I've lost a stone in sweat, tears and anxiety after that!

When the debris field hit the second time, I actually found myself unconsciously dodging some of it as it flew towards the screen!

Liked how it just jumped straight in and got going as well and also that it was kept short and simple as well.

Not quite my film of the year, but definitely a close second.
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not quite my film of the year, but definitely a close second.

Just out of interest, what's in the top spot? I'm in a similar position, undecided on whether I prefer Gravity or Captain Phillips.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just out of interest, what's in the top spot? I'm in a similar position, undecided on whether I prefer Gravity or Captain Phillips.

Mine isn't so thought provoking unfortunately - it's actually "This Is The End" from Seth Rogen. Don't normally like him because I think he's very much a one-act comedian but I just thought the film was quite brilliant and I enjoyed it from start to finish.

That said, the number one on my all time top ten list has changed a few times so there's still time for my film of the year to change as well :)
  • robot1000robot1000 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it in the new Wembley Cineworld today and experienced the D-Box. Absolutely amazing experience; really felt I was part of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    It was excellent. Beautifully shot, claustrophobic, terrifying. Both actors were great, especially Bullock. Loved it.

But, it was so intense, and emotionally draining, that I think I could only watch it once. My top film of the year so far though!
  • widgerwidger Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went to see Gravity in 3D last night and absolutely LOVED it! I kept having to look at all parts of the screen as I couldn't believe what I was seeing. You get so immersed in the film you cannot help but feel as if you are floating in space.

I do agree that there is one part of the story that seems shoe-horned in for emotional impact but it still worked within the context of what was happening. I also loved that it was a 90 minute film, If James Cameron has done it, the film would have been a 4 hour epic.

I would go and see the film again and again in a heartbeat.
  • ImOnlyWeeImOnlyWee Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went to see this last night. Absolutely loved it. Bullock carried this movie amazingly well, I could of watched another hour of her in this movie. Definitely worth an Oscar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    widger wrote: »
    If James Cameron has done it, the film would have been a 4 hour epic

You're so right - Cameron would have also likely turned it in to a trilogy as well !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Watched this in Imax 3D last night. it's visually stunning and now i'm just really jealous of whoever gets to see that view first hand.

Sandra did a great job, I could really connect with the character and you could just feel her pain. The fetal position scene was so serene and calm after the intense action, it really gave you a chance to breathe and take it in.

I don't think it would make as much of an emotional impact if you were to watch it at home, the cinema is really the only place to get the full experience.

Jackapple wrote: »
    was sooo tempted to shout out
    heiker wrote: »
    Don't you mean.....
    CROC !!!!!!!

Glad to know I wasn't the only one
    Thats the first thing i thought of when i saw the water....she's going to get injured by a Shark...once that didn't happen, i saw the swam water and i was like ohhh it'll be a crocodile instead.
    either way i had half my face covered during the water scenes. Jaws and Lake Placid have a lot to answer for.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    It would seem it has the Avatar style hype - style over substance because of the technical requirements to make the film.
    I thought it much better than Avatar. Avatar made me quite angry.

For me Gravity was OK. It's the visuals that make it, and it's probably not worth watching on a small screen or in SD, and possibly only worth seeing in 3D. That said, I found the lens flare got irritating quickly.

The other thing that irritated me was Ryan's stupidity. I get that she was supposed to contrast with Matt, but I don't enjoy watching characters being stupid. It seemed everything she did for the first 3/4 of the film was wrong. Some examples:
    Not controlling her breathing. Trying to launch the pod when it was tied by the 'chute to the station. Ignoring the fire. Attempting suicide. Wasting time that might have been used to rescue Matt. Not taking time to think through what she was doing.
    She was so not the right stuff. She'd had six months training, and frankly was privileged to be there.
    My friend felt the parts where she kept missing things to grab on to was unrealistic, as she'd have had training etc. Whereas I pointed out she was a newbie, and NASA had recruited her because of the prototype she'd created rather than any skills she may have had as an astronaut.
    That didn't bother me quite so much. I get that it's hard, in space wearing gloves.

There were space bits that didn't ring true to me. For example:
    the way she bounced back after Matt detached himself - was there really enough tension in the chord for that? It didn't look like it. And at the end it seemed his motion was stopped, so there was no real need for him to detach.

And it seem like if she just bent her knee, they'd both have been secure, so add that to her list of mistakes.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gonna try not to be too spoilerish: I think the list of her mistakes was quite realistic, after all she was PANICKING, effectively a rookie & dealing with things as they came up.
    Yup she made a tonne of mistakes- who wouldnt in that situation??
    I found the entire thing stressful to watch- which means the film had succeeded as I think the aim was to share/feel her fear & distress.