Can someone explain jury service?

woofwoof77woofwoof77 Posts: 2,166
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Well, call me thick but I had no idea that people on a jury were normal everyday people:o, until I came across it on another forum.

I've never been chosen, I hope I never am. I am very anxious in groups of people and I have bad concentration...though ive not been diagnosed with anything.

Has anyone here done it?

Is it only for people that vote? Because I haven't voted for years, so would I get sent a summons? Its all just freaking me out now.

What if you're undecided at the end of it all?

Do you have to give reasons for your decision?

I would hate to do it, places of authority, people of authority...make me very anxious =/

Comments

• paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone on the electoral roll (so everyone over 18 pretty much) is eligible to be called up for jury service. Its irrelevant on whether you actually vote or not.

In short, you listen to the evidence on both sides, then pop into a room, discuss it for a bit and see if you all agree on the verdict.

Depending on the case, the judge may accept a majority verdict (e.g. some think guilty, some think not guilty), but when I did it, the judge said he'd prefer a unaninmous decision.

What that meant was, we voted, we discussed some more trying to convince each other, we voted again, etc. Eventually if it takes too long (We discussed it for a day and half, a lot are under an hour), then the judge either accepts a majority verdict, or the jury is dismissed and it goes to a retrial.

You might be asked to explain your reasons in the jury room, but what is said in there is kept secret. You don't have to explain your reasons to anyone outside of the jury.

I found it pretty interesting myself, though the salary compensation for being off work was rubbish.
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    You can be asked to be excused from jury service but I think you have to have a very good reason - I'm not sure that being anxious in that kind of environment would qualify
  • Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am exactly the same and am hopeless in social situations unless I know people really well. I think I would literally crumble if I was ever called up.
  • GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My experience of jury service was of mind-numbing boredom. Two days of sitting in a sort of paddock (a partitioned area in a large hall) with about 40 other people reading shitty paperbacks (tip: take your own book to read), then being picked out with 11 others for a case. We were shown a video of what we had to do, sworn in, then sent home. The next day we came in and were told the case had been cancelled as the defendant had been in a car accident, so back to the paddock. Two more days of sitting around, then told we were no longer needed and our service was over, so home we went.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Once selected you then have to go through the initiation service where you have to wear black capes and hoods and then drink a shot of each other member's blood, after that you're allowed into the court room so nothing much to worry about woofwoof77.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have done it twice, the second time at the Old Bailey no less, which sounds exciting but wasn't. The first one was more interesting which was at a "normal" London crown court. I also got called a third time to attend the Old B, but I was moving when I would have been on a jury so I was excused. I think I only got excused because I had done my duty twice before, they probably would have not excused me otherwise, good excuse or not. They are quite strict. All three calls to do jury service came within a a few years when I was in my early to mid twenties and when I was living in central London. Nothing since although I would be up for it.

I found it an interesting process, but quite tiring. You have to concentrate and take it very seriously because someone's liberty is at stake. I also found the Crown Prosecution Service a bit inept, lots of confusing about missing documents at one case in particular.

You can also bump into the defendants on the way in or in the streets around the court. Luckily mine weren't violent and we studiously ignored each other despite mutual recognition.

Because the jury is drawn from the normal man or woman on the street there are varying levels of intelligence on the jury. Some people just did not get the most basic facts/evidence which led to lengthy deliberations before coming to a verdict. I found it quite disturbing that they were allowed to sit in judgement on someone but I don't see what an alternative system could look like.

You do get flung in with all sorts of people and it is important to speak up. What you think could change a verdict so you do need to speak up for the sake of the defendant, if you think they are innocent, or for society and justice, if you think they are guilty.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I would absolutely love to do jury service, as long as the case wasn't something too distressing.
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    JulesF wrote: »
    I would absolutely love to do jury service, as long as the case wasn't something too distressing.

I've always quite fancied it as well - I suppose that sooner or later I'll get selected
  • Simon_MoreSimon_More Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »

Me too! Don't know why but I think it would be interesting. My mate has done it twice. He said he was not allowed to discuss any aspect of the case. The only thing he said about both cases was he voted guilty lol.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave3622 wrote: »
    I am exactly the same and am hopeless in social situations unless I know people really well. I think I would literally crumble if I was ever called up.

It's not really a social situation. You aren't permitted to discuss the case until you retire to consider your verdict. Before that, you don't have to talk to anyone else unless you want to. You don't have to speak during the jury's deliberations either, unless you want to, though it makes sense to ask questions if you don't understand anything.

The process is based on the principle that jurors don't have any special qualifications or knowledge and they aren't allowed to consider any facts that are not given in evidence. So the verdict is based on what's said in court and any additional directions given by the judge, and if the jury gets it wrong it is ultimately the fault of the professionals who presented the facts, not the "ordinary" people who make up the jury.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    woofwoof77 wrote: »
    Well, call me thick but I had no idea that people on a jury were normal everyday people:o, until I came across it on another forum.
    You're thick :D
    I've never been chosen, I hope I never am. I am very anxious in groups of people and I have bad concentration...though ive not been diagnosed with anything.

Has anyone here done it?
    Yes. Piece of cake, nothing to worry about.
    Is it only for people that vote? Because I haven't voted for years, so would I get sent a summons? Its all just freaking me out now.
    I think so, they take the names from the electoral roll.
    What if you're undecided at the end of it all?
    Then you acquit. Simple.
    Do you have to give reasons for your decision?
    No. But when the jury's out, members talk to each other. That's the idea. And you're entitled to your opinion just like the other 11.
    I would hate to do it, places of authority, people of authority...make me very anxious =/
    Stop worrying, there's nothing to it.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jury service is something that almost everyone believes in, and they will get outraged if you suggest scrapping it, but most of them don't want to do it.
  • rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't be able to do it for some time as I have a 7 year old who I take to school and pick up every day by bus. So I would only be available between 9.15 and 2.30 (depending on where I was coming back from , possibly earlier than 2.30). That's not even factoring in the travel to and from court.
    On top of that I work from home for a family business so not only would they need to cover my pay they would need to cover loss of sales which would amount to hundreds of pounds as I am the only one who processes the online sales for the business, everything being stored on my home laptop.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing to stress about...most cases are fairly ordinary and run of the mill.

You are advised and briefed on how the process works, and are usually given advice and a summation by the actual judge as to the facts of the case and what you should consider etc.

I did it around 15 years back. Fairly mundane fraud case, kind of obvious what had happened and what the verdict should be...but you still had to follow the process.

What I do recall is quite a few people on the jury who did not speak English very well, and didn't really seem to understand what was going on and did not converse much. So the reality was a few of us who could converse did most of the talking and deliberating in the room afterwards, and asked the others what they thought, their verdict was etc...but there was kind of a feeling that some people did not really understand and went along with the majority. Thank god it was a very obvious verdict...had it been a more complicated case god knows what would have happened.

I do vividly recall being chosen very quickly as the foreman (I was the oldest there...and everyone just sort of looked at me and decided I was IT).

Now that is something everyone should experience at least once in their life...walking silently into a courtroom, the old judge walking in...will the foreman please rise...what is your verdict...GUILTY!
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 days of sitting around & half a day listening to evidence / coming to a verdict.
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be able to do it for some time as I have a 7 year old who I take to school and pick up every day by bus. So I would only be available between 9.15 and 2.30 (depending on where I was coming back from , possibly earlier than 2.30). That's not even factoring in the travel to and from court.
    On top of that I work from home for a family business so not only would they need to cover my pay they would need to cover loss of sales which would amount to hundreds of pounds as I am the only one who processes the online sales for the business, everything being stored on my home laptop.

And if you didn't turn up based on that info, you'd be in contempt of court! Not valid reasons!
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds horrendous - I would refuse to do it.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been on Jury Service twice in the last 6 years. The main thing I recall is that you spend a large proportion of the time waiting around doing absolutely nothing.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did it a few years ago, I hated it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did it a few years ago and yes there is a lot of sitting around doing nothing. It was a pretty serious case which ultimately resulted in the Scottish b****** verdict of "not proven", which I wasn't happy about. Some of the detail we had to listen to was quite harrowing and uncomfortable to sit through, but that's the nature of the beast.

The court made a mistake, though. They brought the accused into the courtroom halfway through the jury selection process, so my full name was heard by the accused.

It is an interesting experience though - it can get harsh during the deliberations, at one point all 15 of us were literally shouting at each other over the table.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    1fab wrote: »
    Sounds horrendous - I would refuse to do it.

It's a criminal offence to do so without good reason.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    It's a criminal offence to do so without good reason.

I have a good reason.
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's what you make it . Two weeks away from work seeing the other side of life and meeting people that you normally wouldn't associate with . I loved it .
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure I could do something like a high profile murder case, emotions running high might cloud objectivity. But otherwise it would be the hanging around that would annoy me.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jury service is something that almost everyone believes in, and they will get outraged if you suggest scrapping it, but most of them don't want to do it.

Well yeah, but the same could be said of toilet cleaning and looking after old people.