Wiping off debts

Comments

• malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,639
    Forum Member
    stargirl 2 wrote: »
    why do some folk get their debts paid for them and others dont?

I'd imagine each case is assessed and if it is going to cost the creditor more to chase/recover the debt than recover the debt itself then they probably write it off. In some cases I would guess that there is no point chasing the debts of certain people because if they don't have the money to repay the original debt they sure as hell aren't going to be able to repay the original debt, accrued interest and any legal fees on top.

If you're in a low income/poverty stricken household you're also very likely to not have many high value assets so bringing the bailiffs in still and auctioning off the goods still won't recover the money.
  • Beaker17Beaker17 Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Oh well. If you don't like it, you're free to move.

FYI, this will really grind your gears, in Northern Ireland, baliffs are illegal and people can ignore their debts alllllllllllllll they want.

Hell, I bet right now people are costing you your hard earned money.

I `aint moving chum, I was born here and I stay here, nobody makes me run. It sounds like you are one of our highly respected benefit scroungers. There are countless thousands of benefit parasites living better lives than workers, with all the modern trappings of life. Not a Wittmann whimsy mately - FACT and I have the misfortune to know quite a few of them.

My advice to you and your Northern Ireland paradise is to enjoy the good life while it lasts at other peoples expense. Your protected little annex would have disappeared decades ago but for the rest of Britain bailing you out with Billions of taxpayers money and many lives of our servicemen. Don`t kick the Golden Goose that keeps you alive.

And YES scroungers are costing me my hard earned money, just like it is everybody else. For your obvious lack of knowledge, the modern social welfare bonanza available for all and sundry to enjoy is called COMPULSORY TAXATION.

I find your comment "FYI, this will really grind your gears, in Northern Ireland, baliffs are illegal and people can ignore their debts alllllllllllllll they want." highly repulsive and a disgrace to the United Kingdom.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in Northern Ireland, baliffs are illegal and people can ignore their debts alllllllllllllll they want.
    Yeah, but you do get kneecapped if you don't pay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wittmann44 wrote: »
    I `aint ..... disgrace to the United Kingdom.
    0 / 10.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find your comment "FYI, this will really grind your gears, in Northern Ireland, baliffs are illegal and people can ignore their debts alllllllllllllll they want." highly repulsive and a disgrace to the United Kingdom.
    Try this for a more efficient way of collecting debts and a complete rebuttal of your suggestion people can walk away from their debts (assuming they're still able to walk after 'private discussion', of course ):
    http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/enforcement-of-civil-court-orders-in-northern-ireland

How does the EJO recover debts?

The first thing the EJO will do is visit your home or require you attend a pre-arranged meeting. EJO staff cannot force their way into your home but it is in your best interests to attend this meeting or to fully comply when an EJO Officer visits you.
    The purpose of this meeting is to allow the EJO to complete a report on your current financial situation; this will then allow the EJO to consider how the debt may be paid back. You must bring to the meeting documents which will confirm your financial position, such as
    rent books, mortgage payment books or mortgage account number, ground rent receipts, rate receipts, saving books and bank statements, pay slips, hire purchase agreements and receipts, particulars of any debts owed to you, particulars of any debts which you owe, with creditors statements, writs or other legal process which have been served on you in relation to unpaid debts, Value Added Tax Registration Number, National Insurance Number
    If you fail to attend a meeting with an EJO Officer a warrant for your arrest may issue and the Police Service of Northern Ireland will be required to arrest you and bring you to be interviewed.

Far from being 'highly repulsive and a disgrace to the British system' I'd suggest that seems like rather a good system that really must 'grind some people's gears'.
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because as a mollycoddling nation we are too concerned about the debtors social welfare instead of bringing the Bailiffs in to seize their possessions, taking the debt out of their property if they own it, or kicking them out of it if they don`t.

So they let these maggots off, to continue their debts all over again and so the cycle goes on. Meanwhile WE, the rest of us pay the bill.

If anybody defected on payment of any kind in the 1920`s or 1930`s they were chucked out on the street amongst their belongings and there would be no lavish benefits (which we again pay for) or soft hearted Council to help them.

Nice,hope you dont end up ill and have your sick benefits stopped like my mum did. DWP,ATOS are the reason why my mum ended up in debt. If there are maggots around,they are it. You do understand that not everybody who doesnt pay their bills do it because they dont want to pay. If sick people have their benefits stopped where do they get the money?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what a disgusting view, and who are all these 'maggots' you speak of?, are they people who cant afford to feed themselves because of redundancy, disability, mental health problems etc etc, do you think they should pay water companies before feeding themselves or keeping a roof over their heads, I know which 'debt' I would not give a fig about if it was me.

I hate 'i'm alright jack attitudes'

Thats what my mums been doing. with the little bit of money she has it has all gone on food
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all, the majority of these maggots are people who get generous benefits allowed to pay their bills and then spend it all on tobacco, booze plus various other jollies and let me tell you, they are in the majority. Their attitude in this "live for today and bugger tomorrow" society is just that. the rest of us responsible people pay our way and also have to pay their irresponsible debts.

That is why as a nation we are second in the world only to the USA at a national debt at nearly £ 1.500 Trillion - http://www.nationaldebtclock.co.uk/

Your comment is exactly what it is all about, mollycoddle the irresponsible in the good life at the expense of the responsible. A financial disaster.

My mum could only dream of affording a bottle of wine,stop generalising. My mum is lucky if she can treat herself to a 30p chocolate bar
    Forum Member
    My mum could only dream of affording a bottle of wine,stop generalising. My mum is lucky if she can treat herself to a 30p chocolate bar
    Dear Chris,

I am deeply sorry for your Mum`s situation and there is nobody more than me to wish her well. Your comments is very touching and the authorities must have felt that her debts were genuinely worthy of compassion and being written off. And i will endorse that 100%.

Unfortunately Chris, the subject of debtors is highly inflammatory to the majority of dedicated tax and bill payers, hence the unfortunate diversion into the general situation existing in this country, which is so saturated with scroungers and benefit cheats.

Your Mum is an exception and genuine case of needing help in common with many other people in truly unfortunate circumstances. But as is usual, the minority always get tarnished with the actions of the majority.

Don`t worry Chris, none of this dislike and criticism applies to your Mum, she is obviously an honest person who has simply hit on hard times, most likely through no fault of her own.

My best wishes and hopes that her future fortunes will significantly improve are honestly expressed here.

Good Luck to you and your Mum Chris. I hope you both have a Happy Christmas.
    Forum Member
    By the way, I am the first person to advocate help for the genuine needy, but have absolutely no respect at all for cheats and scroungers.

My views so far expressed concern the maggots and parasites that infest our society NOT genuine people in need.

And if any one of you have any objection to my views on societies leaches, your comments are a waste of time, don`t even bother to post them, they will be ignored.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And if any one of you have any objection to my views on societies leaches, your comments are a waste of time, don`t even bother to post them, they will be ignored.
    I guess you'll be ignoring that leaches means to drain away chemicals by percolating water then.
    Pity. You mean leeches :p
    Forum Member
    I guess you'll be ignoring that leaches means to drain away chemicals by percolating water then.
    Pity. You mean leeches :p

My sincere thanks for your correction, I am extremely competent in English, but nobody is perfect.

Correction fully accepted, I apologise for the unforgivable spelling error.
    They say that we have 100 billion brain cells (neurons) and 1 trillion support cells, that sounds a hell of a lot of grey stuff. We lose about 9,000 brain cells per day. So I guess I need a bigger cork to plug the leakage. :)

Cheers
    :blush:
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By the way, I am the first person to advocate help for the genuine needy, but have absolutely no respect at all for cheats and scroungers.

My views so far expressed concern the maggots and parasites that infest our society NOT genuine people in need.

Its a good job that those 'leaches' represent a small minority of benefit claimants then isn't it.
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Its a good job that those 'leaches' represent a small minority of benefit claimants then isn't it.

But they do not Pull, they represent a very large percentage of benefit claimants.

Don`t you read the news or watch TV programs on the subject ? We are well known as the benefit dumping ground of Europe. Why do you think all these masses of immigrant flotsam, legal and illegal flock to the UK in continuous droves for ? It is the lavish benefit handouts, priority housing allocations and free medical services that attract them, certainly not any work prospects.

Where have you been for the past 50 years or at least some of it ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But they do not Pull, they represent a very large percentage of benefit claimants.

Don`t you read the news or watch TV programs on the subject ? We are well known as the benefit dumping ground of Europe. Why do you think all these masses of immigrant flotsam, legal and illegal flock to the UK in continuous droves for ? It is the lavish benefit handouts, priority housing allocations and free medical services that attract them, certainly not any work prospects.

Where have you been for the past 50 years or at least some of it ?

I prefer to look at statistics and hard verifiable data that suggests otherwise. Of those claiming benefits in this country, only a small (heavily reported by the media) minority are undeserving. There is plenty of data on this subject that you might want to research before making these sweeping observations based on media agendas. There are also plenty of threads in this forum also linking to this data that you might want to look at.

As for the last 50 years, much of has been spent working in the public sector, Police officer, Social Services, local government, court services, both Mags and Combined. Pretty much the sort of services with access to working data rather than hyperbole and irresponsible reporting. How about you?
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    7% of your water bill, is paying for those who can't pay/ won't pay. If other utilities followed suit and no longer cut people off for non payment of bills, then you would see similar default rates with electric and gas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    7% of your water bill, is paying for those who can't pay/ won't pay. If other utilities followed suit and no longer cut people off for non payment of bills, then you would see similar default rates with electric and gas.

Where does that figure come from?

Considering that is correct, does that mean that if everyone paid then bills would be reduced by the same amount? I would think not.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Where does that figure come from?

Considering that is correct, does that mean that if everyone paid then bills would be reduced by the same amount? I would think not.

I've seen the figures. Of course these figures tend to be for the South West and North, where more people tend to live below the poverty line. However there are a lot of people who believe they should not have to pay for water as it's "free".
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    stargirl 2 wrote: »
    why do some folk get their debts paid for them and others dont?

Why should any debts be written off ?
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »

Because sometimes, debts are unreoverable this is the same for big buisness or the little man. And in the case of death as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it costs more to track and pursue the debtor.
    In some cases, it may be impossible to locate them as was witnessed in the Poll Tax days.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Because it costs more to track and pursue the debtor.
    In some cases, it may be impossible to locate them as was witnessed in the Poll Tax days.

No reason to write them off.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    I prefer to look at statistics and hard verifiable data that suggests otherwise. Of those claiming benefits in this country, only a small (heavily reported by the media) minority are undeserving. There is plenty of data on this subject that you might want to research before making these sweeping observations based on media agendas. There are also plenty of threads in this forum also linking to this data that you might want to look at.

As for the last 50 years, much of has been spent working in the public sector, Police officer, Social Services, local government, court services, both Mags and Combined. Pretty much the sort of services with access to working data rather than hyperbole and irresponsible reporting. How about you?

Que Sera, Sera

PS - Just out of interest, did you have to have a label attached to your handle with Pull to open on it, in case you forgot on the way down ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No reason to write them off.
    Umm, OK.
    The alternative is to have an ever increasing provision for bad debts which is never utilised.

Sometimes the administrator of a company in difficulties will settle the company's creditors at so many pence in the pound. Those creditors will have to write off part of the debt; there is none that is collectable.