Driver causes fatal collision after spider drops in her lap. Gets a year's ban !!!

bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Amy Walpole, aged 38, is terrified of spiders, and when one dropped from her sun visor onto her lap, whilst driving, she panicked and tried to throw it out of the window. In so doing she lost control of her car, which collided with another, causing the death of the man driving it.

She pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving, was banned from driving for 12 months and ordered to do 80 hours community service. The judge said it was not a case for prison.

Is this a fair sentence when set against others in which the drivers have been given custodial sentences for dangerous driving ?

link

Comments

• Tim_WilkesTim_Wilkes Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    As tragic as this was, it's quite clear it wasn't the woman's fault.

What would you do if something you're frightened of happened whilst you were driving?
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What kind of a car does little Miss Muffet drive by the way, and what is the insurance?
  • TallywackerTallywacker Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tim_Wilkes wrote: »

Yes it's 'quite clear', it's quite clear the accident was her fault, that's not in doubt.

As for the aracnophobia story, I don't buy it. More than likely the GP just thought... hmm what can i diagnose myself with that is totally impossible to prove, and impossible to prove there was actually a spider.
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think perhaps the driving ban could be harsher but I agree with not sending her to prison.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it's 'quite clear', it's quite clear the accident was her fault, that's not in doubt.

As for the aracnophobia story, I don't buy it. More than likely the GP just thought... hmm what can i diagnose myself with that is totally impossible to prove, and impossible to prove there was actually a spider.
    Arachnophobia or not, i do.

I remember reading where a type of spider in Australia which crawls up inside vehicle air vents or steering columns, then drops out on the unsuspecting and shocked driver who panics and often ends up in a fatal collision.

The spider is non-venomous but is one of Australia's biggest killers.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of that thing that was on the telly a few years ago about the multiple motorway pile up that was all caused by a wasp.
  • TallywackerTallywacker Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »

I remember reading where a type of spider in Australia

Yeah however this is Wales where the spiders tend not to be so big. Perhaps she'd read the same stories as you and tried her luck.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    An irrational fear does not switch off just because it would be inconvenient to happen at a time where you may cause an accident

If this did happen then i think it has to be put down as a tragic accident due to circumstances you can't plan for
  • Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this had happened to me I would likely have crashed too. A few years ago I completely wrecked a room full of stacked up furniture and boxes (we were decorating several rooms at the time) just to get away from a daddy long legs that appeared from behind a curtain.

I'd never get over causing someone's death either.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    cris182 wrote: »
    An irrational fear does not switch off just because it would be inconvenient to happen at a time where you may cause an accident

If this did happen then i think it has to be put down as a tragic accident due to circumstances you can't plan for
    I haven't read the article btw.
    Aye, I worked to 2 chaps, Bee got into the cab of the van, driver went garrity.
    They drove into the back of a bus whilst trying to get the bee out of the cab, had to be cut out of the van, the smash was that bad.

They were right outside the Hospital AnE, so not far to go, once they cut them out :)
    Lots of physio etc, due to broken legs and other injuries, mind.
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    There was a plane crash in the news a few years ago that may have been caused by the pilot becoming distracted by a spider.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/pictures-spider-may-have-caused-afghanistan-f-16-fighter-aircraft-to-215843/
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Reminds me of that thing that was on the telly a few years ago about the multiple motorway pile up that was all caused by a wasp.

That doesn't surprise me. I don't think I'd be in control of my actions if there was a wasp in the car. I always drive with my windows up in the summer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah however this is Wales where the spiders tend not to be so big. Perhaps she'd read the same stories as you and tried her luck.
    You haven't seen my house spiders!! :o:o
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was stung by a wasp whilst driving.
    It got between my back and the driving seat.
    I leaned back and, I must admit, screamed with the pain.
    But, with three other people in the car, I kept control, pulled over, got out and then reacted.

I wonder if the spider was ever located and presented as evidence.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tim_Wilkes wrote: »

What would you do if something you're frightened of happened whilst you were driving?

It is quite clear that it is in fact her fault
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I believe the story because my wife once nearly killed us when a spider suddenly dropped down from where it had been sitting in her car's sun visor in front of her, causing her to freak out and dive out of the way. The car went into a left / right / left lurch and it was only me screaming and grabbing the wheel that stopped the car from rolling I swear.

The community service and ban seem to be a token punishment if it was accepted by the court, and I don't understand why it would be administered at all. You're either criminally liable in some way, or you aren't.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    I remember reading where a type of spider in Australia which crawls up inside vehicle air vents or steering columns, then drops out on the unsuspecting and shocked driver who panics and often ends up in a fatal collision.
    Spiders that enjoy causing car crashes?
    You've been watching the SyFy channel too much :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »

It doesn't even need any kind of irrational fear/phobia of whatever either. All it needs is sudden and unexpected shock/surprise.

This small country road here is near where i live. On the left is a small copse where deer sometimes gather yet in all the years i've regularly driven that road i've only ever seen one. But one afternoon it resulted in a fatality of a youth who on approaching the bend, was met with a young deer in the road. He panicked and swerved to avoid it and ended up hitting a tree head on killing him instantly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spiders that enjoy causing car crashes?
    You've been watching the SyFy channel too much :D
    I know it sounds weird but is actually fact! Can't remember the name of them but i'm sure if you Google around it will come up. It was on some documentary about Australia's venomous snakes which account for few annual fatalities by comparison to this spider.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sort of sympathise with her. Your phobia can knock you for a six emotionally if you come face to face with it.

Edit: Saying the above though, I think she should have tried to remain as calm as possible, even if she was petrified inside. It's not just about concentrating on being still and getting rid of your phobia, but keeping control of the car as well.
  • boniverboniver Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she was telling the truth and that is what happened then I have some sympathy. I have a fear of spiders and start to panic and have an urge to get away from it whenever I see one. I have actually thought about this scenario before and wondered if I'd be able to keep control of the car if a spider fell on me! I really don't know what would happen and hope I never have to find out.
  • MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once jumped out of a moving car as a passenger when a spider dropped down off the sun visor on to me. Banged pavement and rolled onto grass verge, just bruises. So I can believe the woman panicked.
    Ever since my escape to freedom I've always checked the car for spiders, like the bedroom, before driving myself.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The point I was trying to make in my edit was that it's not just a case of trying to remain as calm as possible while you get rid of your phobia, but you also have to keep control of the vehicle as well. This would likely make it incredibly difficult to keep control of the vehicle that you're driving.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could happen to anyone. Sentence seems a bit harsh.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could happen to anyone. Sentence seems a bit harsh.

Yeah, never mind that some guy's been killed because she couldn't keep control when a harmless bloody insect dropped on her.