Options

Death row british granny faces execution within weeks

Daniel_Evans2Daniel_Evans2 Posts: 70
Forum Member
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/lindsay-sandiford-death-row-gran-5041465

Awww poor love , now I know what she did was wrong but can't they just commute her sentence to life or something

Comments

• Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know I was reading this earlier today and thought of making a thread. In the end I was obviously so disinterested in her fate that I couldnt be bothered.

By all accounts, this was not a one off and her sons I seem to recall were involved in gang/drugs related crimes or something so the whole family are/were involved in this sort of thing. So she knew the risks.

And 38k, couldnt her family cobble that together if they are so concerned about her?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say i'm that bothered. She knew the risks and lost.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I was her I'd want it over with, she knew what she was doing
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Do you know I was reading this earlier today and thought of making a thread. In the end I was obviously so disinterested in her fate that I couldnt be bothered.

By all accounts, this was not a one off and her sons I seem to recall were involved in gang/drugs related crimes or something so the whole family are/were involved in this sort of thing. So she knew the risks.

And 38k, couldnt her family cobble that together if they are so concerned about her?

But none of that matters because she's a granny you see, and we're all supposed to feel sorry for her.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    I remember the thread here about this when the story broke back in 2013. I think the general consensus was to leave her to her fate. As Tiacat said. Her family was involved and IIRC she was the ringleader. She wasn't some lowly mule conned into doing it.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do I agree withy the death penalty, no I don't as it does not work and to me lowers us to the criminals level, if it turns out the person is innocent its too late to rectify, if they are definitely guilty then lock them up for life meaning life .

However as long as it exists in other countries then unless there is evidence that the person is innocent I think we have to let them run their justice system and maybe people will learn there are consequences for their actions (though it appears they do not ) even though I do not agree with the consequence when it is death.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drug trafficking is despicable but IMO so is the death penalty, It doesn't look good but I hope this doesn't happen.
  • Options
    Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still barbaric backward country, another Islam thing.

Just because of drugs? Evilness.
  • Options
    Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has dished out some injustices of her own over the years, so there wont be many tears for her apart from her family.

By all accounts she was a Ma Baker/Big Mags Haney type of character.

Best to let justice run its course on this one.
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you decide to smuggle drugs into a country like Indonesia, which is well known for it's strict ant-drugs laws and the use of the death penalty, then you have only yourself to blame.

No sympathy here.
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    But none of that matters because she's a granny you see, and we're all supposed to feel sorry for her.

Yeah She's 58 that's not that old!. She is just trying to sound older than she is!.

You must have rocks in your head to smuggle drugs. She obviously knew the risks but was more interested in the money. Pure greed.:(
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    The constant reference to the fact she's a grandmother is a bit misleading and designed to drum up sympathy. She's an older woman who knew exactly what she was doing, not some befuddled old dear who was conned into carrying someone else's luggage!
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she tried smuggling drugs, not because of being threatened but just to make a load of money, I can't feel much sympathy for her.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Still barbaric backward country, another Islam thing.

Just because of drugs? Evilness.

Presumably it's also an "Islam thing" in the USA where they had almost 8 times as many executions in 2013?

... or is it "a Christian thing" there?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be interested to know what reasons the UK government have for not helping her?. If as some have said she is from a crime family already involved in drugs then I can't see how our government besides pleading for a life sentence to be served here instead can do anything. You would think her family would sell everything they own to fund a defence if she is that innocent and does not have know personal and family connections with drug dealing etc.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    i don't agree with the death penalty, on the other hand she must had known thier laws were extreme so im not sure how i feel
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    its about time :kitty:
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen how much stuff those grannies get at the pharmacy. They must be pushing. If more grannies got a serious sentence, this country wouldn't have a drugs problem any more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    Drug trafficking is despicable but IMO so is the death penalty, It doesn't look good but I hope this doesn't happen.

I think it will, they have executed a few over the last couple of weeks.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The death penalty is just wrong.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    How will she be executed? Firing squad? Lethal injection?
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    I think it will, they have executed a few over the last couple of weeks.

I think it will too. As I said it doesn't look good. I can still hope.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave9946 wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know what reasons the UK government have for not helping her?. If as some have said she is from a crime family already involved in drugs then I can't see how our government besides pleading for a life sentence to be served here instead can do anything. You would think her family would sell everything they own to fund a defence if she is that innocent and does not have know personal and family connections with drug dealing etc.

Why should they:confused:
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't sign the document :D